TF2 General Stuff

Fatty

First, I'm trying to find a game director for this game. There's one known candidate for this position. The things that I'm looking for right off the bat from this person could possibly done by you guys....namely, researching of some fun maps.

-I'm going to increase the playercount if NFO will allow me to in anticipation of reserve slots that will be implemented soon.

-Are there 3rd party maps or maps out there that the highly popular servers are using? (click on the banner above, do some research!)

Other jobs that the GD will address will be advertisements, the motd, swear filter, etc....making it more like home...

In the meantime, drop some feedback in here....

Lunk mentioned that the respawn time is too long. Personally, it seems to me that killing a bunch at a time gives a team an intentional advantage, a time where they are outnumbering their opponents...instant or trimmed respawn time would make doing things like retrieving intelligence or assaulting the home base point much, MUCH, harder. However, some servers advertise instant respawn....and it sounds like some might like it reduced. Me? It gives me a second to change classes after looking at what we might need, take a drink, put in a fatty, etc.....what's your thoughts on the respawn time?

----

If you see some guys in the server that aren't in our forums, suggest to them that we'd like their feedback and thoughts, and ask them to register. Soon the adverts will do this for us.

aight, your thoughts and additions.....

So I checked out gametracker and happened to visit the server forums for All Around Gaming. There rank went from the low 200s last month to 31st this month. I looked at some of their posts and it seems that one of the admins does a lot of seeding by registering the server on ranking sites. I'm assuming this gets them more traffic due to increased visibility. Their community doesn't seem to be all that special, so I'm guessing it's simply the seeding. Whoever ends up being the lead admin for the server should find out a bunch of ranking sites to register the server on.

I play regularly on n602 and they have decent traffic. The server is full every night without fail and has regulars. The map rotation is stock and there are custom maps on the server that are not in rotation. So I would say it's not the maps/rotation that make or break the server. I checked out some of the top servers on gametracker and of course they're the 24/7 servers. I wouldn't have a 24/7 server as a main, but an additional server would be nice. At any rate focusing on making one server successful is the goal here. Hope this info helps. SEEDING FTW!

Ugh....

I was kidding :D ... but seriously, I really like the game style of DustBowl, I think there are a few others with that same style; and then there are some complicated ones where I seriously cannot figure out which control point(s) are being fought over. But I've only played for like 3 days, and probably won't be playing anyway. I hate the CTF (2fort) style the most because its sooooooo booooring.

TF2 is all I really play now and I've noticed some common trends.

1. 2Fort is a hate it or love it map. It usually results in many people leaving since the main objective (get the flag/intelligence) is rarely done. I know I typically leave the server that I am on when this map comes on.

2. Respawn time.... there should be a respawn time but 20 seconds is too high. 10 seconds to me seems like the sweet spot. Instant respawn takes away the need to stay alive but overly long respawn times result in frustration as you watch your engineering stuff getting sapped and slowly die because it takes you so long to respawn. It is frustrating to spawn, have someone camp your respawn point and you have to wait another 20 seconds. The game isn't CS and the time to wait should not be or feel as long. It does sometimes on the GC server which I hop on if the map isn't 2fort and there are people on there.

3. Do not hesitate to kick/ban those that spam the mic. The voice mute feature in the game is broken and has been for a while. At times you cannot even turn off voice to make it stop since the troll will keep spamming the music or whatever.

4. The only custom map that I've seen grab a lot of people is Warpath. It is a remake of the classic TFC map and is really good. A lot of the other custom maps are poorly designed (sort of like the last point on Hydro). The custom map cannot distract from the goal and most of them do that.

(edited)

This is the only game I play now. I would be happy to help admin it. However, there isn't much (read there isn't any) traffic in the late hours when I am on.

I usually play on the "TheVillage.org" servers. They have one server that is always full. It plays out of the box maps and keeps everything vanilla (no restrictions, default spawn times, no lame sounds to download when connecting). It seems to work well for them.

I also agree that 2Fort is an oddity of traffic flow. There can be a huge jump either way.

There are not a ton of servers out there. If we could get the traffic flow and maintain it for a few weeks, then I have no doubt the server would take off. It is just getting the ball rolling that is the problem.

Edited by duma

I agree that the current respawn times are too long. 10 seconds would be good I think, but it is aggravating to sit and watch for 20 seconds each time you die.

I have been on call and working a goofy shift this week, so I haven't been on in a while, but starting the weekend I'll be around more again.

As for maps, the game is still fairly new so people aren't sick of the maps yet (dust anyone?), but if people find new ones they really like, we could at least get them on the server, but not in the rotation yet, so if an admin sees its a good crowd, and people want to try them they can.

I agree about 2Fort, it's the only map I really don't like. Warpath is ok, but I prefer Castle3

Like ZD said, this is a love it or hate it map. I play on 2 servers that run fort2 24/7 and these servers have players in them until 5 or 6am in most cases. Somtimes even later.

I think the main problem with our server is just that we need those first few people to 'jump start' the server. Once you have at least 10 people in the server, it should fill up quickly.

The Castle map is somewhat annoying. They can easily spwn camp your openings with sticky bombs. and there is only one cap point.

Very tough for engineers, but seems good for scouts, soldiers, and demoman.

It's probably documented somewhere but respawns aren't a straight 20 seconds. It's dynamic based on class, how many people are that class, how the team is doing, etc (not sure if the map affects the spawn time also). I would suggest keeping it stock since that's how they balanced it. I know you can change it to a different number but sometimes as a medic I spawn within 7 seconds using the default spawn time. Other times it's 20 for a soldier.

Check out the respawn times on the AA servers and see how they are. They are just long enough and not too long. I've had the entire team dead on Dustbowl on the GC server before and no one on Red able to defend and this is right after the first point. Blue just rolled right in and took the second point without a bit of trouble because everyone was dead. That should not happen due to overly long respawn time.

I'd agree on that when the server's full, but last night there were only 4-8 people on the server at around 10pm CST and when there are only 2 -3 people on a team, that respawn time can make it near impossible.

In fact at one point I was red with 2 on blue, and obviously as soon as I was killed, you've lost the map, it's not encouraging to get in there and stay to try and get the server going if all you need to do is die once, get a 10-15 second respawn and you've lost the round.

It's probably documented somewhere but respawns aren't a straight 20 seconds. It's dynamic based on class, how many people are that class, how the team is doing, etc (not sure if the map affects the spawn time also). I would suggest keeping it stock since that's how they balanced it. I know you can change it to a different number but sometimes as a medic I spawn within 7 seconds using the default spawn time. Other times it's 20 for a soldier.

It is for this reason that the respawns will stay as-is for now. I will need to do a lot of research to understand all of the relevant factors, and will, at most, change only the weighting to avoid respawns past a certain threshold (probably 13 seconds, instead of the current 20). As it is, there doesn't seem to be any cvars at all for even rudimentary manipulation of spawn times, so don't place any hopes on this changing anytime soon.

On a further note, the labors of two days of configuration tweaking locally have finally been rolled out to the live server. Most of the usual GC stuff is in-place, but reserves will have to wait until I figure out how to break the 24-player limit. If there's anything that seems out-of-place, please either post it here or, preferably, send me a PM. Thanks!

You can use 'daffodil' to test the swear filter.

-hC