Efficacious TF2 -- Under New Management!

hyperactiveChipmunk

Mentioned this in the general TF2 thread, but after seeing the large number of threads here complaining about lack of admin presence and the like, I decided to make a formal announcement in a new topic so that it's more visible.

Last night, I uploaded my initial wave of modifications to the server. Nothing complex, but it should now be in-line with the rest of the GC server community. The following are now implemented:

- Mani Admin Mod config tweaked. For admins: I am leaving the regular mani_server.cfg as the distribution default, so that new versions can just overwrite it. Any changes pertaining to the TF2 server's normal run settings (and their accompanying comments) are in cfg/mani_admin_plugin/defaults.cfg, which gets run after the base mani_server.cfg.

- Swear filter. I yanked the wordlist from the CS:S server, plus the word 'daffodil' so I could test it. Daffodils are naughty anyways. >8)

- Rules reminders and website info will now print every 2 minutes,

- some other stuff

Still to do:

- figure out respawn timers and maybe scale them back a bit

- reserve slots, dependent on the next bullet...

- raise server slots to accomodate reserves

- some other other stuff

Enjoy! Please post any problems or requests here.

-hC

Does it have @ chat like the CS version of Mani? And will it work for all GC members like it does on CS, or just admins?

Also, thanks :)

Yes, Mani for TF2 is almost the exact same as for CSS in terms of simple commands and shortcuts like @ hi = ma_adminsay hi :D

I would, but I'm poor and haven't payed any dues (yet) since returning. I'm running the servers, yes, but I wouldn't feel right wearing the tag or having a reserve slot once I get them implemented, or any of the other usual membership benefits. I'm running the server only because a lead admin was needed and I'm qualified to do it. I guess you can kinda consider me a contractor, with my payment coming in the form of having a good server to play on, both in the gaming sense and the geeking sense. >8)

-hC

GC Alumni
(edited)

I dunno...I would think that what you are doing earns you a tag...you have admin rights...and people do need to see the GC presence...heck, i'd slap it on, if anyone says anything, tell em i said it's ok...then I will deny it and delete this post :P

Edited by Clueless

I dunno...I would think that what you are doing earns you a tag...you have admin rights...and people do need to see the GC presence...heck, i'd slap it on, if anyone says anything, tell em i said it's ok...then I will deny it and delete this post :P

Gotta tell ya... I agree with clue. Also, we have reserve slots?

I'm going to work tomorrow setting up reserves. There is a limit of 24 players on TF2 servers, so it won't be possible to do the reserves with overflow slots. However, I have the configuration set up to replace existing players directly, but I'm waiting to hear from Fatty about whether that's an acceptable option. The alternative is using hacked server .dlls to expand the limit to 32 players, but that requires some cooperation from the game hosting company...I'm also waiting for Fatty's word on that, too.

As it stands, if things line up, we may be looking at reserves as soon as tomorrow night. I try not to push things up too quickly, as I like to sit on configs for a day or so before re-reviewing and committing them, since I have no way to test a server locally (the Athlon XP processor in my machine doesn't support the SSE2 instructions that the Source dedicated server requires). We'll see. I understand with a much lower player cap, that the need for reserve slots is of pretty high importance, especially with the server packed every night now. Don't worry; I'll take care of things. >8)

Also, thanks duma and the rest of you guys for your continuing support. This is my first time administrating a Source/HL engine game, so I'm still getting the hang of the style and underlying structure. I promise this rocky period is only temporary, and that you might even be surprised at what I can bring to the table once I get all the current holes plugged and can focus on real improvements. >8)

GC exclusive maps, maybe? Who wouldn't want to play in cp_Fattys_Playhouse?!

Nobody, that's who.

-hC

Provider will up our allowed slots to whatever we want, you just tell me when. We're looking at knocking it up to 28 slots, and reserving 2.

Good work, HC.

Go see the seamstress (Duke) and get your uniform fitted. Wear the tag, please.

Right-o, chief. Tell them to turn it up right away. It's ready for its first attempt. If it doesn't work, then we'll just be at 24, with no harm done. I was able to confirm that for myself earlier today, as the plug-in does work with the plain old in-game Create Server mode. With the plug-in installed, any value over 32 gave me a 32-player server. Without the plug-in, 24.

And you can consider the tag applied. Thank you. It's an honor to wear it once more.

-hC