ps3 vs 24" widescreen

NOFX

if i was buying a new monitor today and money was no issue then i'd get this hands down:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/M...mp;sku=320-5647

it is the best monitor, for the price, currently in existence.

though this one is arguably better:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/M...mp;sku=223-4890

Heh... that wording strikes me as funny.

Shaftiel

Edited by shaftiel

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if i was buying a new monitor today and money was no issue then i'd get this hands down:

I enthusiastically endorse this monitor as well. I have not been able to game on it as it is in my work office, but the image quality is second to none, plus it has lots of input options to hook your stuff up to it.

$100 off the regular price is a good deal as well... if I had the money to throw around right now I would seriously consider buying one for my house that doesn't have a desktop computer in it anymore then just waiting for my next build!

I enthusiastically endorse this monitor as well. I have not been able to game on it as it is in my work office, but the image quality is second to none, plus it has lots of input options to hook your stuff up to it.

$100 off the regular price is a good deal as well... if I had the money to throw around right now I would seriously consider buying one for my house that doesn't have a desktop computer in it anymore then just waiting for my next build!

+1, although I DO game on it. I also have my dvd player hooked up to it through component.

This is the monitor I have, and its amazing. Better contrast, price and response time than the Dell. Although it does lack most of the connectors that the Dell sports.

Shaftiel

i'd be curious to see a side by side. every manufacturer measures their specs differently. the dell would have much better colour though with the 92% gamut.

you definitely can't beat the connectors on the dell. i can picture in picture my hd satellite while still browsing the web or playing cs.

Well I found coupons online, signed up for rewards zone and such. I got Hanns-g 28"this for $527+tax from bestbuy, cheaper than getting it shipped from newegg.

th.f78d829b2f.jpg

Haven't had time to game on it yet, but I must say its pretty awesome.

Edited by NOFX

holy crap this thing is awesome.. definitely not to big for gaming.

my 7800GT is now showing her age... Seems like it could just run games fine the other day. There is no way Im playing COD at 1920x1280. I can barely run it at 1280x720..

I do have a e6550 @2.5Ghz with 2 gigs of ram, think my bottle neck is the video card?

Edited by NOFX

Is it wrong that the topic was between a PS3 and a 24" LCD and you ignored us all and went with a 28" LCD? *jealous of NOFX's new monitor*

Just think of the eye strain that is forth coming

And on a side note, I started a thread about people recommending me a laptop, and I snubbed everyone's advice (except the mac users) then got the one I didn't want in the first place... :shrug03:

Yes, my apologies for going against what everyone recommended.. I took what everyone said into consideration when making my choice, but i still had to go with the 28".

a. I don't give two craps about input's. My monitor is a computer monitor, that is all. I don't even have cable at my house, the extra inputs would be worthless.

2. A few people here have 24" monitor's and they like them very well, which is why they recommended. No one here has a 28" or has used one.

c. Like I said before when it comes to monitor's Im a firm believe Bigger is better. My 21" owned when everyone was using 17's.

The quality of this monitor is very good, much better than the sceptre 19" I was using. At work I have two dell 19" screens. (E193fpc) and a (1907FPt). The quality of the 28" is just as good, possibly better than these two. A few people here at work have 24" dell's. I sat in front of them and played around, but I thought to myself, if Im really gonna drop this much on a monitor, I might as well get the bigger one.

Also, the monitor is extremely bright. My roomate came in and had to put sunglasses on. No problem, just turn the brightness way down.

Edited by NOFX

i'd just like to point out that i used a 30" and commented on it. based on your picture you do sit further back then i do.

the dell screens at your work are nothing near the quality of their higher end monitors.

the 24" monitors that dark and i own have sharper image quality than your 28 running the same resolution simply because the pixel size is smaller.

man, if i had that same money to spend i would have gone with the dell HC model in a heart beat. just to have that 20% extra colour gamut would be a huge improvement over a standard monitor. just think about it. accurate reproduction of 92% of the NTSC standard. the new 30" dell has 117% colour gamut.

apparently they have a new 2408 model with 102% gamut now as well on the US site.

oh well, i'm glad you like your new monitor.

It's unlikely you will notice the difference so do not let Cujo scare you. The difference is less than that of 1080i to 1080p. The die hard HD fanatics will go on and on about the difference but having watched many blue-rays and HD DVD's on my buddies 70 inch 1080i TV, then watching the same thing on another TV that is 1080p, I do not notice a bit of difference. I would guess the difference here is about the same.

With that said, has anyone seen "300" on 1080i or p yet? WOW! Same for the remastered version of "Blade Runner"!

It's unlikely you will notice the difference so do not let Cujo scare you. The difference is less than that of 1080i to 1080p. The die hard HD fanatics will go on and on about the difference but having watched many blue-rays and HD DVD's on my buddies 70 inch 1080i TV, then watching the same thing on another TV that is 1080p, I do not notice a bit of difference. I would guess the difference here is about the same.

With that said, has anyone seen "300" on 1080i or p yet? WOW! Same for the remastered version of "Blade Runner"!

Looks the same as VHS to me... :shrug03::)

The resolution between 1080i and 1080p is non existant, they are the same 1920x1080.

1080i, just updates every other row of pixels on a refresh, while 1080p updates every row of pixels at the same time. the progessive scan 'p' say the image tends to tear less when there is fast action.. which sounds like a logical conclusion if you know how it works. In reality, there is not much difference. You can only notice it with face paced scenes and when looking for it. Majority of the time you can't even see it.

I have a 56" 1080i TV. The PS3 and blu-ray movies look awesome on it..

I don't know anything about color correction, but color has never been important to me. The blues on my CRT look like the same blues on this LCD and every other monitor I have used. I personally care more about how well I can see someone's head poking up above a window at 200 yards.. With that being said, I don't really care about running at max settings or 1920x1200. Since I first downloaded CS Beta, I would and will always sacrifice eye candy for thos few extra FPS.

The perfect balance for me is keep upping the graphics to where I can't notice a difference in frame rate between the current setting and 800x600.

Have your eye candy and perfect colors. Details at a distance and the FPS are on my side :)

I have the DVD and the big screen, but I have yet to watch it...saw it in the theatre so I have been catching up on stuff I havent seen yet, but it is on my to-do list :)

i'm so confused. how did my comments lead to talk about resolutions and colour correction?

1920x1200 on a 24" monitor will OBVIOUSLY have smaller pixels than on a 28". therefore you can comfortably sit closer to a 24". try sitting 3' from a 46" and tell me the image quality looks good.

anyway, that's all i was saying. i don't know why 1080i or p or whatever is being brought up.

i also don't know where colour correction is coming from. i'm talking about colour gamut. that is the colour the monitor is capable of reproducing accurately. the HC from dell will have better colours then any regular lcd monitor.