Going to WAR!

shaftiel

This time every year I make a trip out to the Arizona desert to fight with about 3000 of my closest friends in full armor and beat each other up with rattan swords. Sure we study manuals and treatises regarding form and function, tactics and such reaching back to the 1200's A.D. But really we are just there to beat the crud outa each other.

[utube]dfb29gysxXQ[/utube]

Wish me luck, I'm in command of a 200 person group this year. This is all part of the SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) which is a non-profit group dedicated to exploring and studying the world as it was from 400 A.D. up to around 1650 A.D., and bringing that timeframe to life through using the techniques and skills of that time. Fun stuff. You can find out more at www.sca.org, its a world wide group numbering around 40,000 people.

Shaftiel

I'd hate to be one of the two guys that has to pretend to be your horse... :biglaugha:

Seriously, looks like fun! Although, I did laugh pretty hard at your justification...you can just tells us it's 2000+ LARPers, we're cool with it. :D

I used to do this stuff in the park behind my dorn in Montreal...on Sundays 100+ people would gather and just have battle after battle...it was fun, but really, really dusty

Seriously, looks like fun! Although, I did laugh pretty hard at your justification...you can just tells us it's 2000+ LARPers, we're cool with it. :D

How dare you. There are no wings, demons, strange creatures, not even a single elf. We are recreating, as best we can, a period battle.

I am so close to shunning you Anonymo... just look how many people are on the field at one time. Its great!

[utube]6Puf-UYvExY&NR=1[/utube]

Shaftiel

Edited by shaftiel

How dare you. There are no wings, demons, strange creatures, not even a single elf. We are recreating, as best we can, a period battle.

I am so close to shunning you Anonymo...

Shaftiel

I beg to differ!

:D

♥

LOL are there sides? Everybody is wearing something different, it must be a large free for all.

Medieval battles were extremely chaotic Geek, very few professional armies... and mostly just aristocrats and landed gentry who bought their own equipment so there will probably be some of that in this. However, I doubt it goes that fast... especially from what I saw in the video. To be honest I really love medieval combat... but I prefer the classics. Armored calvary may be scary, but I'd rather face that then a trained Roman or Greek army.

lcd, you fail. you should be busting out quotes all over the place. this thread was MADE for you, and you fail to hit it. :(

second, these people would definitely have fun (while also fitting in) at a GWAR concert. maybe you could talk GWAR into doing some sort of medival festival.

third, no matter what kind of sword or weapon you have, those still look like tights to me. o.O

lol I can picture you doing this... play safe! Looks scary.... like you can easily get trampled in the chaos. >.<

Yeah, just imagine a little white bunny amongst the legion of clashing steel and various obscenities being yelled throughout the crowd.

Don't even joke about that scenario...didn't you see MP's Holy Grail?

Edit: I'm now laughing very hard about the idea of ebil dressing up in a giant white bunny outfit and pretending to be the Rabbit of Caerbannog

Shaft...better bring your holy hand grenades!

lol I can picture you doing this... play safe! Looks scary.... like you can easily get trampled in the chaos. >.

Yeah, just imagine a little white bunny amongst the legion of clashing steel and various obscenities being yelled throughout the crowd.

Don't even joke about that scenario...didn't you see MP's Holy Grail?

Edit: I'm now laughing very hard about the idea of ebil dressing up in a giant white bunny outfit and pretending to be the Rabbit of Caerbannog

Shaft...better bring your holy hand grenades!

Hah, believe me, I was thinking of that scene while I was typing that.