need a new car

auggybendoggy

Ok guys,

my Geo Metro broke and its a throw away car...

Wifee and I own a Pontiac vibe which she drives...

SHE WANTS TO BUY ANOTHER PONTIAC VIBE!!!

I told her I'd rather buy another FRIKIN GEO then buy a 2nd EXACT car.

I've never met or seen anyone who owns the exact same make and model in the same fam.

She's insistant that it's better to own 2 cars of the same make and model than to go buy a chevy aveo (the new geo metro of today).

My gut feeling is I'd rather drive the crappy car than have my neighbors all looking at us funny

What do you think?

Aug

When the two of you go out somewhere, do you ever stop to ponder which car you should take? If not (i.e. you always use the Vibe), then maybe it's not totally irrational to get another. I would think that most normal people would rather have the option to take a sedan or SUV than be able to keep driving one Vibe while the other's in the shop.

IMO if the Vibe is her car, you should be the one choosing what you want for your car.

If you do end up with another Vibe make sure it's a different colour.

it does sound a little weird to have two of the same car. however i know people who had 3 of the same minivans minus different years so it can be done. I would recommend though if the geo was the car you had primary driven that you pick out the car to replace it since you would be driving it mostly.

There are tons of car options now-a-days. Aveo is a good car, but may I recommend the Mazda 3? It's a great car... Best among compact cars, in my opinion.

A bit more money, but definitely worth it.

I'm selling my 2004 Toyota 4runner V8 4X4 on ebay, but gas mileage is probably your priority with the gas prices sky high.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...E:IT&ih=017

Good luck.

Buy foreign, unless you wanna be all patriotic and stick with american, but that comes with hefty repair bills these days.

VW and Honda would be my 1st choices..in that order. Toyota makes a good product too, I would avoid Nissan, they are great for a long time, but the repairs are costly and they usually need done AFTER the warranty is over.

Ignore ALL consumer reporting guides, talk to people in repair shops, privately owned, not dealerships. I have worked in the automotive field for many years and my advise is based on my personal and professional experience :D

Happy hunting!

Did more research on the Chevrolet.

Its interior is okay, the engine is good only if you get the biggest one, and the style is subject to the user. Overall, its a normal mid size car with above average looks.

OH! and you can get a hybrid version. 35-50mpg!

Buy foreign, unless you wanna be all patriotic and stick with american, but that comes with hefty repair bills these days.

i disagree.

I had an audi, and it was the most expensive car to repair. My g/f has a Mazda.. it's expensive to repair. So if you know ur Foreign cars and can fix them yourself, go ahead and get one.

Are you buying used or new?

And of course, u have to know ur budget on how much ur going to spend.

The new 2008 Ford Focus's look REALLY nice and aren't that pricey.

The new 2008 Ford Focus's look REALLY nice and aren't that pricey.

yes, but they are still FORDS. I could never in good conscious recommend a Ford to anyone after the crap that my wife's stupid Focus went through in addition to numerous other experiences in my life.

FORD: Fix Or Repair Daily

all depends on how u buy.

The focus has been out for awhile, all the kinks are out. The new ones give it a nice new body style.

If ya buy new, u get a warranty anyways.

Of course, do ur research on a used car.

But What i'm getting at, was buy American, dont buy Foreign, unless it's something reliable, such as a honda or toyota, and cheap to fix.

Foreign cars, major brands at least, rarely need repairs. I also had an Audi, one of the best cars I have ever owned. Sold it with 240,000 miles on it, never had major repairs and still ran like a top.

Being that I was a service manager for a long time and I have written many 1000's of repair orders and bills, I can say from my experience that the repairs really arent that different in cost unless you are going to a place that is taking advantage of you. The main difference is that american cars these days are built so cheaply to compete in the market against countries that dont have auto unions paying 35 dollars an hour and more to every guy in the factory, even broom pushers, so it stands to reason that they have to cut corners to compete in the price market, hence the reason they start having big repairs needed long before the foreign cars do. I have personally seen and been disgusted by MANY GM and Ford vehicles coming in my shop at around 60,000 miles needing expensive work like intake manifold gaskets, electronic issues, and ALOT of ABS brake issues.

Buy what you like, I am just giving you my opinion based on experience in hopes of helping you out :D

(edited)

I too am speaking from expirence.

I owned an 2000 audi tt for 2 years.. in that time span i spent 5k in fixing it. believe me, i got the bills to show it.

cost me 3,4x the cost for parts than an american car would.

and cars are going to break... I'm glad to see u got a good car. but when it breaks. ull spend a fortune on keeping it running.

at least with american, if ur half knowledgable on cars, u can do the work urself

Edited by ZesteR

I too am speaking from expirence.

I owned an 2000 audi tt for 2 years.. in that time span i spent 5k in fixing it. believe me, i got the bills to show it.

cost me 3,4x the cost for parts than an american car would.

and cars are going to break... I'm glad to see u got a good car. but when it breaks. ull spend a fortune on keeping it running.

at least with american, if ur half knowledgable on cars, u can do the work urself

Oh, Audi TT....those are like the VW Beetle's....they are the exception to the reliability and repair rule, lol. We did see alot of Beetle's and I know the TT's had issues, but those are kind of in their own class unfortunately. The rest of the VW and Audi line are exceptional cars, the only other that I can recall was the 1st year VW Toureg suv, they had issues they had to work out for a bit.

As far as knowledgeable goes, believe it or not, the european cars such as VW, Audi, and BMW are quite easy to work on as far as mechanically. When you get computer issues you are screwed no matter what because you dont have the equipment and the knowledge to interpret the data, but as far as changing parts goes, I would work on 10 german cars over 1 american ANY DAY. I remember the last shop I worked for before moving to New Orleans, the guys would complain about VW's because they werent familiar with them, but they are very easy. I went out and did a clutch job on a Jetta because no one wanted to do it, and I did it in 3 hours less than the book called for, so I made money :D. And when the guys came over and checked it out periodically, they were surprised how easy it looked and wished they would have done it. Most people just assume its harder because it is foreign and they simply dont know because they have never done it. Hell, on my Audi A4, I changed all 4 struts with new lowered coil springs and had the car back on the floor in 1 hour and 15 minutes, not because I am necessarily that good, but because the car is engineered that well and comes apart easily.

The Japanese cars a bit harder than the Euro's....Nissan being the WORST, they bury components worse than Americans do. But with time and patience, you can fix them all.

The real issue for me is about having a good car AFTER the warranty is over because that is when you will be doing the work, or paying for it, so choosing a car that is less likely to cause you problems in the long run is the way to go. If you are a person that likes a new car every 2 or 3 years, then get anything because you wont have to worry about it, but if you are like me and you want to keep something for 10 years and put a zillion miles on it, then look into a VW, Audi, Honda, or Toyota.

Another thing to note....if you have a VW or Audi, you can use your laptop and a free program and have a fully functional diagnostic tool with the same software the dealers use, and you can buy a manual that helps you learn the system. The only thing you have to buy is a compatible cable that is a few hundred bucks, but that sure beats almost 10,000 bucks on a scantool that we use for american and japanese cars...just something to think about for you guys with Vdubz :D

• 3 weeks later...