Get your economic stimulus payment yet?

akaM2

If your parents claimed you as a dependent, you should ask for the $300 like LCD said. But if they're paying for part/all of your college education, then you don't have much of a case for that $300. :)

Problem is, I'm over 17. That means they didn't get any money for claiming me as a dependant. They just got a small tax break. The DO NOT pay for any of my bills, schooling, gas, etc. I'm pretty sure I wont get that money. :(

File your own taxes then. Honestly geek...your parents (over the last few years) have been made out to sound like overbearing slave drivers who wish nothing more than to ruin your life, both socially and economically. Maybe I'm getting you and discom mixed up...either way, just file your own taxes and let the folks explain to the IRS why they claimed you as a dependent.

If your parents claimed you as a dependent, you should ask for the $300 like LCD said. But if they're paying for part/all of your college education, then you don't have much of a case for that $300. :)

Problem is, I'm over 17. That means they didn't get any money for claiming me as a dependant. They just got a small tax break. The DO NOT pay for any of my bills, schooling, gas, etc. I'm pretty sure I wont get that money. :(

File your own taxes then. Honestly geek...your parents (over the last few years) have been made out to sound like overbearing slave drivers who wish nothing more than to ruin your life, both socially and economically. Maybe I'm getting you and discom mixed up...either way, just file your own taxes and let the folks explain to the IRS why they claimed you as a dependent.

:biglaugha: Says the canadian immune from an IRS audit. :biglaugha:

Its really not a small tax break. If memory serves, I did my taxes months ago, you get a 1500 reduction in taxes per dependent. If your parents are taxed at a 15% rate, that's $10,000 of income they don't get taxed on. As someone who pays taxes, that's more than a small tax break to me.

I'm curious though, do you live at home geek?