when in minneapolis

stutters

...don't jaywalk. hour in a squad car, all for jaywalking

5ylx_42d312e494179109a1894056232485c6.48913065.jpg

ps, if there's one thing they don't like, it's a loud mouthed right's knowing citizen. i coulda got outta there sooner, but i was having fun with em. :D

GC Alumni

i had time to kill and it was clear the minute he stopped me that i was getting a ticket.

i cooperated, but only to the bare minimum required by law. gees, you old people don't know how to have any fun.

GC Alumni

funny question.

they couldn't find the citation/ordinance for jaywalking, so they gave me "Interference with pedestrian or vehicular traffic." the car that i was in was using yahoo search to try and find the citation number. seriously. i would have paid the jaywalking and moved on, but interfering with traffic? i'm not the brightest bulb, but even i wouldn't cross the street if there was any traffic. hell, even when i was in custody, i was politely moving out of the way for people on the sidewalk (which he initially thought was my attempt to flee). that citation carries a summons to appear, so i have to go to court for it. that's fine, except for wanting to head back to michigan. oh, and they wrote the wrong address (clair street instead of saint clair avenue), which means my summons will probably get lost, i'll have a bench warrant issued, and i'll go upstate for a few years.

:lol2:

GC Alumni

or free time. the actual wording of the complaint is "No person, in any public or private place, shall use offensive, obscene or abusive language, or grab, follow or engage in conduct which reasonably tends to arouse alarm or anger in others, or walk, stand, sit, lie, or place an object in such a manner as to block passage by another person."

if only the knucklehead would have found the code for jaywalking. i'm arrogant, but i have a strong feeling i'll be able to dispute the charge. just for good measure (and because of the 1st amendment issue in the ordinance), i filed a complaint with the ACLU-MN and the Civilian Police Review Authority.

whats funny is I saw someone last week who could of gotten a ticket after seeing what you just listed off. He was sitting in the middle of the road, the first couple cars drove around him then a cop soon came through and then the guy got up.

I'd hope you get out of the ticket since they couldn't give you the proper citation and clearly your intentions weren't to "block passage by another person."

(edited)
if only the knucklehead would have found the code for jaywalking. i'm arrogant, but i have a strong feeling i'll be able to dispute the charge. just for good measure (and because of the 1st amendment issue in the ordinance), i filed a complaint with the ACLU-MN and the Civilian Police Review Authority.

Go dispute it since he didn't give you a ticket for the correct charge. I guess Cops in MN have nothing better to do. In Chicago, I've never seen a cop who cares if you're jaywalking. Hell, I've jaywalked in the loop downtown on Clark St. RIGHT IN FRONT of a cop car before and he didn't even bother to say anything.

Edited by YoMamma

Jaywalking seems like a stupid citation (and is worthless if there was not any traffic anywhere near there) but I wish they would cite people more often for it. Driving in a college town (Madison, WI) there were so many donkeys walking and crossing whereever they wanted, it was dangerous just to drive or bike in town. If I were you I would contest it if you have to go to court for it, if not just pay the dang thing and move on.

Jaywalking was originally created to stop people from diagonally crossing intersections blocking all directions.. Well, that what I remember reading a long long time ago in middle school.

Were you really just crossing the road and got a ticket? Did you block traffic when you crossed? sounds pretty lame to me, but hey if you are to intelligent the police for don't want you anyway

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_56314.html

O_o try to save 2mins and lose and hour. ouch. Were you fined? Kinda of a silly thing to have on your "record"

Heh..

'this will go down on your permanent record. Oh yeah? Well don't get so distressed, can you tell that I am impressed?'

Shaftiel

• 1 month later...