At risk of sounding like an Uber Geek

[LaW]Maverick

Ok, I still occasionally play LotRO, but I don't really play much of anything in the way of MMO's anymore.

However, I have to say that Star Trek Online looks sweet!!! While I never got dressed up and went to conventions (or went to conventions at all for that matter), I was always a fan of the series and after reading a bit more on the game, it looks SWEET!

Anyone else even remotely interested?

http://www.startrekonline.com/

fwiw, this makes you an uber dork or uber nerd, but not an uber geek.

I think I'm with SJ on this one. Geeks and dorks/nerds are two separate categories. I think it's kind of like the rectangle/square geometry lesson thing: All nerds are geeks, but not all geeks are nerds.

You have it backwards. All geeks are nerds but not all nerds are geeks (Geeks are a subset of Nerds). I've always seen it as Geeks are Nerds that can actually survive socially outside of their comfort zone, say at a regular party or at a football game or such.

You have it backwards. All geeks are nerds but not all nerds are geeks (Geeks are a subset of Nerds). I've always seen it as Geeks are Nerds that can actually survive socially outside of their comfort zone, say at a regular party or at a football game or such.

Can we get an official ruling on this? I am of the belief that Nerds are a subset of Geeks. I personally find the term "geek" less derogatory.

i think they're both subspecies. while you can have characteristics of both and both share characteristics of each other, you can only really be one or the other.

in other words, you can be a geek with dork/nerd like traits, or dork with geek/nerd traits, but not all nerds are geeks, nor geeks nerds.

thread closed.

well, at least Laz is SOMEWHAT interested in the game :)

By the way, I'm a Geek/Nerd/Jock hybrid. I read constantly, but I played lacrosse and do Kung-Fu. I like Star Trek, but I love Star Wars. And yet I still laugh at people that can't figure out how to defrag their HDD. :)

I'm a little bit of everything.

well, at least Laz is SOMEWHAT interested in the game :)

By the way, I'm a Geek/Nerd/Jock hybrid. I read constantly, but I played lacrosse and do Kung-Fu. I like Star Trek, but I love Star Wars. And yet I still laugh at people that can't figure out how to defrag their HDD. :)

I'm a little bit of everything.

That's a cop out.

Now that I think of it, I retract my previous comment and agree with boilersax. Nerds are a sub-set (lol, when did we change it to species?) of Geeks. I'm proudly a geek but am in no way a nerd.

Resistance is only futile if you can't out-run a Borg that can walk about about the same pace as a 95 year old with a bad hip and a walker. :)

Not the walkers u gotta worry bout but the cube's and sphere's they'll catch ya and ya got no where to go even if your enemy is walking that slow!

The problem isn't outrunning that Borg...it's outrunning the other 478,142.

:D

Meh, I want to be from the Q-continuum. Then you're ok even with the borg.

Until I assimilate you......