Silence day for homosexuals

bullet-401

Well on my point of view about this whole thing is kind of in the middle. I do respect them and what they belive. I also read about what happend to the people that are supposed to be remembered today. They were killed by people who hate happys.

We had a protest up at our school and I thought it was completly stupid. I just wish they would just leave the homosexuals alone. They are not doing anything are they? :(

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guest UberNewb
Guests

Nothing but not speaking.

I remember my senior year in high school we did this. It went off without issue. I guess it just depends on where you are, but around here we seem to have a higher-than-average alternatively-lifestyled population.

If your talking about the day of silence that was held nationally yesterday then you all need to hear why that day is there. It's not just a day of not talking for homosexuals its to show how many kids are picked on because they are homosexual, bi, or transgender. I participate in this every year because I am bi, and i get made fun of a lot. My silence on that day shows my respect for my exgirlfriend who killed herself because she couldn't take being made fun of for being a lesbian. Each and every person who is silent on that day represents the silent tears of those people in the homosexual community. I believe what you said is both wrong and right bukket, we should leave homosexuals alone but this day was created by the homosexuals to show people a point. Sometimes its the silence thats speaks most.

See, I go to Bullet's school, and at the end of the day there were people protesting the Day of Silence outside on the street. They were chanting things that no one should ever say, and when the students who participated in the Day of Silence saw/heard them they began an anti-protest protest which led to the whole thing turning into a mass of people yelling things at each other across the street. I thought that the homo-sexuals would have responded differently, but they did not. They fought back with words, just like the protestors were.

That is why I found the whole thing to be pointless because the point they were trying to make was dulled when they let the protestors get to them.

I have nothing against homo-sexuals, bi-sexuals, or transgenders, and I have seen very little, if any, people who make fun of them or torment them with words at my school. They continue to label all of society as anti-homo-sexual or homophobic, THAT is what makes me angry.

BTW Heartless: Here is something to think about, even though I know words still hurt....Next time someone makes fun of you just think to yourself "I wonder why they are making fun of me? Maybe they are insecure about their sexuality?" because it just may be why. If people say it is a sin, tell them "there are many ways to interpret the Bible, and you have the right to your interpretation, and I have mine."

Not meant to offend anyone, and I am sorry if I did,

Gunny

Let it be known that I know many people are very unsecure with their sexualities and thats why i think many people are so pathetic. Society is lame, "we" (meaning society) sees sexuality as black, white, and checkerboard when there are so many other shades of gray. I believe if you are really truely are at peace with yourself sexuality doesn't exist. Everything goes. I brought up this point to a very close friend of mine and made him think about it for a little while. Before I said anything he was a straight non-homophobic male after he thought about things for awhile and saw my whole point on things he became not homosexual or not bi, but something inbetween.. which no one understands. (PEOPLE NEED TO OPEN THEIR EYES.. but enough about that) he will make out with a guy, no problem, and even enjoy it, he will get oral sex from a guy, no problem, and enjoy it.. but he's not comfortable with being completly sexual with a guy... what does this society call that? of course people say bi, but he's not. Grr... I when i get into this i really get into this, so i better stop before i say anymore...

My whole point was that I know that people make fun of other people because they are not comfortable with themselves, and thats why that stuff never usually bothers me. But when people say that something is "ghey" i get offended because they are using the word as "weird" or "unusual" or even"stupid" which may not be directly because homosexuals are different but thats how i take it. Prissy little homosexuals who aren't at peace with themselves at all do label everyone as anti-homos but being "out of the closet" is very scarey because you never know who is homophobic, you never know when someone is gonna take you talking to them the wrong way, like your hitting on them. You never know when you'll get beat up. Its a very scarey world out there.. but when you are completely okay with who you are, straight, homosexual, or bisexual you know that everyone is themselves and you don't take most of that stuff offensively and you don't label people, because you already know how it feels to be labeled.

Purdue has a pretty big LesBiG.ay Network and they're sponsoring G.aypril (G.ay April). I do not necessarily support or go against the whole idea. But I try to limit the number of questions I ask in my classes because I don't want to call out anybody who is participating.

Here it is billed as a day of silence that is meant to show others what their days would be like with a large population not participating. Their silence is their voice. It is supposed to draw attention to the contribution that they make to society. It's a little more upbeat than the silent tears version as I understand it.

As for me...I like one girl. Who knows who I'd like if things didn't work out between us.

:huh:

Chief

Who knows who I'd like if things didn't work out between us.

<runs away>

Does this offend anyone?

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (NIV): "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters, nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

I guess if God or the Bible has no meaning to you, then neither does the above, so you don't even need to bother explaining how the above doesn't matter because you don't believe in that. Just tossing it up for the application.

More reading.

I was gonna bring some of those things up Fat, but most of the ppl who are gonna post in here and support homosexuality are not going to care what the Bible says......so I figured it would be a waste of time. You can't use proofs from something that doesn't affect the other person.

perhaps I should have said, I will not necessarily sup....whole idea IN PUBLIC. But after the next two posts below here, I guess I'll say: even if it's a sin, I don't have a problem with them getting to speak or be quiet but I don't like charging the classroom politically by calling on a student that is observing the day out of support or homosexuality.

As for the as for me comment...I'm a one at a time kind of guy...one girl at a time.

But I think that the silence thing, when observed like I mentioned, is supposed to counter the whole religion/morality based argument by showing how important these people are in society by pointing out all of the voids they leave if they didn't count. Heartless' idea is a bit more novel, but I imagine that every day is day for them to lament over their persecution. I think that's why they started the day of silence thing.

I think it's fine to voice the religion/morality argument, but I definitely avoid the subject all together in public...especially the classroom.

Chief

I dont care what other people do, and im sure most of us feel this way. This is what I do not understand...

You know that for the most part its socially unacceptable, but yet you still have parades, days, months, whatever that let everyone know....You dont see straight people having certain days devoted to their sexual preferance....If your happy/bi/whatever and dont go around telling ppl, im sure most ppl will not care. I think what triggers most hatred/racism is when they make sure they announce it to everyone and devote days to it.

dont take offense to above, am trying to look at this from a practical point of view......

that is probably the single reason for it continuing. well put nofx, it is all too true.

i hate to go off topic...but it is along those lines. erhmm. Why is there Black history month? I understand slavery was wrong, but people of today didnt do it. So why do alot feel we should still pay them back for it? We dont have White history month, or any other like that? Why be called African american? all of us, that live in the US and born here, are American. i dont call myself German/irish/American...the continuence of distinguishing the differences publicly and making them more known only widens the gap between cultures and people. Drawing more attention to something that is sociably unfit only worsens the problem.

well put Jiff, although the reason for Black History month is to cover important Black ppl throughout history that wouldn't normally be covered (but probably should)

One thing that bothers me is this, I watch ComicView on BET alot, cause it's funny. Every time one of the comedians sees white ppl in the audience they INSTANTLY start making fun of them and mocking stereotypical white culture (last night one of the comics was making fun of how white kids drive around in Mercedes and BMW's...........I had an Oldsmobile '88 4-door with ripped apulstry)

How is this not racial profiling and not racist?

Guest TF_FSoul
Guest TF_FSoul
Guest TF_FSoul
Guests
I guess if God or the Bible has no meaning to you, then neither does the above, so you don't even need to bother explaining how the above doesn't matter because you don't believe in that. Just tossing it up for the application.
Fatty - Are you saying a homosexual cannot be christian and cannot get into heaven?

Instead of paraphrasing I am just going to quote the following article:

Laura Schlessinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to

people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that as an

observant

Orthodox Jew, homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus

18:22 and cannot be condoned in any circumstance. The following is an open

letter to Dr. Laura which was posted on the Internet

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have

learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge

with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual

lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly

states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from

you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow

them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a

pleasing odour for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbours.

They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

B) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus

21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for

her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her

period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do

I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and

female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of

mine

claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify?

Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2

clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill

him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an

abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality.

I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a

defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my

vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair

around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27.

How

should they die?

i) I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me

unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different

crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two

different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to

curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the

trouble

of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev.24:10-16) Couldn't

we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people

who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you

can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and

unchanging. Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

Now I am a christian and I know homosexuals who attend our church and other churches in the area. The bible needs to be taken with a grain of salt, it was written by man after all.

That is a typical response. Just because they dont like what it says at one point they try to discredit it somewhere else.

Just to set the facts straight (I did this once before on another homosexual thread). All those passages were taken from the Levitical law. Meaning they were instituted in the Old Testament and basically the Law for that time. The Hebrews had no other civil law than this. A lot of these things were cultural and pertaining to society in that day. Obviously many of the things arent even practiced today (like the bull sacrifice).

As a Christian (this would differ from Laura S' view), the Old Testament Law was abolished when Christ made a "New covenant". We no longer follow the "ceremonial" and "civil" laws that were stated. We would still adhere to the "moral" laws because those wouldnt change. Christ, when he paid for all the sins of the world with his blood, established a new law... the law of grace. This law demands as well but in a different way. It is based on love and not fear. The Old Testament ceremonial law was done away with. Its only purpose was to point to the real sacrifice that would provide salvation for man. Therefore it is no more essential as is clearly stated in the New Testament portion of the Bible.

It is very easy to pick portions out of their context and make the Bible say anything you want it to. This is even described in the New Testament like this "who have twisted the scriptures to their own destruction" (paraphrasing)

Now I am a christian and I know homosexuals who attend our church and other churches in the area. The bible needs to be taken with a grain of salt, it was written by man after all. 

This would make an interesting discussion. As a christian, which portions do you take with a grain of salt? I would assume the ones you dont agree with. That is dangerous ground. Even a rudimentary knowledge of the Bible would be able to refute that letter. But you have to say the Bible is wrong to state the previously quoted verse is not to be taken literally.

I am a Christian and I know what the Bible says regarding homosexuality. I also know that as Christians, we are to hate the sin but love the sinner. I have/had a lot of homosexual friends in my life and they all know how I feel regarding that lifestyle. The also know that I treated them no differently than any other person.

But to put the argument from the Bible aside, the main "reason" for sex is the propagation of the race. Homosexuality just doesn't fit into the equation anywhere. I mean, even simple instructions say "Insert Tab A into Slot B" not "Insert Tab A into Tab B".

Guest TF_FSoul
Guest TF_FSoul
Guest TF_FSoul
Guests

Actually Rev, I believe a large portion of the bible is inaccurate in a global sense.

The bible was written by man, subject to his whims, emotions and desires. For instance, the Great Flood. It never happened over the entire world. There was a flood of the Black Sea though around the time in the bible. This flood would have impacted quite a few of the regions of which the bible references, but it was not a global flood by any sense of the word.

At the end of the Bible; Revelations 22:18: "And I solemnly declare to everyone who hears the prophetic words of this book: If anyone adds anything to what is written here, God will add to that person the plagues described in this book. And is anyone removes any of the words of this prophetic book, God will remove that person's share in the tree of life and in the holy city that are described in this book."

Now, call me crazy, but since the bible was not commision by God, or Jesus, the prophets, or the disciples I would tend to think that there never was a reference to "This Book" except by the original writers.

The other thing to consider is the original interpretation of the written words. Let's take Fatty's quote from above. I have dug around and found several good articles on it and I think the ones quoted below speak to my point quite clearly.

This is in reference to the original interpretation of the passage:

Still others thought that it meant "masturbators." At the time of Martin Luther, the latter meaning was universally used. But by the 20th century, masturbation had become a more generally accepted behavior. So, new translations abandoned references to masturbators and switched the attack to homosexuals. The last religious writing in English that interpreted 1 Corinthians 6:9 as referring to masturbation is believed to be the [Roman]Catholic Encyclopedia of 1967.

"Malakoi" is translated in both Matthew 11:8 and Luke 7:25 as "soft" (KJV) or as "fine" (NIV) in references to clothing. It could also mean "loose" or "pliable," as in the phrase "loose morals," implying "unethical behavior." In the early Christian church, the words were interpreted by some as referring to persons who are pliable, easily influenced, without courage or stability. Non-Biblical writings of the era used the world to refer to lazy men, men who cannot handle hard work, and cowards.
Footnote for 1 Corinthians 6:9, from the Roman Catholic Bible.

"The Greek word translated as boy prostitutes designated catemites,

i.e. boys or young men who were kept for purposes of prostitution,

a practice not uncommon in the Greco-Roman world.  In Greek

mythology this was the function of Ganymede the "cupbearer of the

gods," whose Latin name was Catamitus.  The term translated

practicing homosexuals refers to adult males who indulged in

homosexual practices with such boys.  See similar condemnations of

such practices in Rom 1, 26-27; 1 Tm 1,10."

Footnote for 1 Corinthians 6:9, from The New American Bible also

contains a footnote which reads: "The Greek word translated as 'boy

prostitutes' [in 1 Cor. 6:9] designated catamites, i.e. boys or

young men who were kept for purposes of prostitution, a practice not

uncommon in the Greco-Roman world....The term translated 'practicing

homosexuals' refers to adult males who indulged in homosexual

practices with such boys."

Back to Rev's post:

That is a typical response. Just because they dont like what it says at one point they try to discredit it somewhere else.

Actually your response is more typical. Many people use the bible to justify hatred of others. If you use it like Laura in my post or like Fatty in his post then why is it not fair to ask the other questions? Do you honestly think God treats homosexuality as an abomination? Would it not be much more likely that Paul was biased or meant something completely different as translations have shown?

If there truly was a breaking of the law, which is never mentioned, would we still uphold the 10 commandments? If we mix the laws, which ones do we adhere towards? How about a basic one -- Worshipping on the Sabbath. The sabbath was actually Saturday, not Sunday. It was not until 300-400AD that the Pope decided Sunday was a better day and moved it. For those of us "non-catholics" should we switch back to Saturday now?

I am not trying to start an argument, I am not giving a "beat-down" on the bible. I just think it needs to be taken with a grain of salt and some common sense. I believe the majority of the bible is accurate and true to how they authors believed the world to function, but you have to leave room for human bias and inaccuracies.

psst........the Bible wasn't written in english..... :)

Too many arguments over the bible tend to focus on one word or phrase that may change with who/when/what the translator says. It would take an historian with a mastery of Hebrew to really understand each passage. And then, only assuming the history is accurate. So to me, not much can be taken literally. King James version of the bible has been around how long? How about the NIV? Not trying to be offensive to anyone, but there's a step in the process before you get to what is read in English as the bible.

For instance, the Great Flood. It never happened over the entire world.
show me scientific proof of that one.

y'know I've come to realize that the "science" of this world is nothing more than a hidden religion. Science says it's there to find the truth yet it cares nothing about it. Take Evolution for example: It has NEVER EVER EVER been proven and never can be, yet it's taught as fact in schools. Sounds alot like what ppl say Christians do with the Bible, find something that they agree with and tote it as fact.

Let me ask you something soul, what makes you a Christian?

As to whether God sees homosexuality as an abomination, you bet your life he does. Why would he enjoy seeing the things he created twisted in such a way?

The bible was written by man, subject to his whims, emotions and desires.

so was your history book, and science books. Guess that means they must be "interpreted" however I want them to be.

Guest TF_FSoul
Guest TF_FSoul
Guest TF_FSoul
Guests
(edited)

Wow Playaa - a little touchy?

The flood NEVER happened, at least the one in the bible. According to the bible the great flood would have happened at the time the 1st pyramid was being built in Egypt, or around that time. Now egypt was a flourishing culture by then, thereby cancelling out the fact that the flood was a worldwide incident.

Actually Evolution is taught in schools only where it is involved with the evolution of a species. Evolution of the planet and galaxies are not taught in schools.

As to whether God sees homosexuality as an abomination, you bet your life he does. Why would he enjoy seeing the things he created twisted in such a way?
Wow, what a comment. Where to start.

Seeing as how God never said this it makes me curious how you know this to be true? Paul stated it in 1 Corinthians, but the language he used suggested it was catamites and prostitution, not homosexuality as we know it today.

You speak of things being "twisted". What about a girl who experiments with another girl for a one-time situation. Is she damned forever? What about the same scenario with a guy? What about premarital sex? What about the thousands upon thousands of people that commit adultery each year? That is quite a lot of "twisted" creations out there. Just sticking to the sex side of the "twisted" view you have, what about S&M people? B&D? Food sex? Masturbation? etc... the list goes on and on and on.

so was your history book, and science books. Guess that means they must be "interpreted" however I want them to be.

Now call me crazy here. Everything printed is subject to a person's views and beliefs. Today's school books and education material have a TAD higher scrutinization then the creation of the bible. The reprints of books today are done on a computer and editted many times to verify accuracy and contect. The bible had a guy saying he had a paper that Paul wrote, even better, that he knew what Paul said because his Dad's Dad heard him give a speech one day.

You are free to intrepret the Bible or today's history books however you like though, do not let common sense and modernization stand in your way.

You ask me "what makes me a Christian?". Why? I say I am one and live my life the way I think God would want. What does that have to do with anything?

Edited by TF_FSoul

yes I am very touchy on this subject, you're taking something that IS my life and degrading it by saying it's all silly conjecture. You've still led me nowhere that says the flood wasn't global just given me your opinions. Now I know that when it comes down to it all we have is opinions, but I'm always willing to learn so show me instead of telling me. Here's a link talking about why the flood WAS global.

And as for the twisted statements, yes all of those things are twisting God's creation, however that's the idea behind forgiveness, if you want it it's yours, all it takes is acknowledging you've done something you shouldn't have......which is what this society has such problems with, no one wants to take the blame, it's always someone elses fault.

I'm not trying to argue with you either soul, I'm trying to learn and teach....so if my statements come across as harsh it's because I don't have time to explain all the nuiances of my feelings and statements; sorry.

I would love to discuss this and keep it civil, so let's do just that.

:P

the reason I was asking what made you a Christian is becuase I want to understand you a little better. I want to know what you believe makes someone a Christian. For me it's more than saying "I'm a Christian", so I wanted to know what you believe and why.