CSS update

discom

Looks cool, CSS needed something like this. My only fear....people will focus too much on trying to get achievements instead of playing the game. 144 achievements, half of them have to be random and unhelpful. I remember doing all kinds of stupid things trying to get the L4D achievements, but at least you could get some of those in single player too.

Yeah- some were silly in MW2...I ran around with a sniper rifle using the junk ACOG scope so I could unlock thermal. Silly.

I like the idea though.

I do not think there will be any unlocking of new attachments and weapons in CSS like there is in MW2 although that would be cool.

I do like the TF2 like Dominations and Nemesis deals as well as the kill cams like MW2 has. Me likes.

Considering CSS has been out for 6 years now, this is kind of sad. TF2 has received a ton of updates and what not but CSS has been ignored. I do not see how this move to the Orange Box engine is going to improve the game much. It will still pretty much look the same and the same issues that CSS had will still exist in this Beta version. Outdated graphics and the same guns. This game needs a true sequel. CSS wasn't much of a sequel or update from 1.6 for the exception of better graphics and physics. After 10+ years, I want to see CS2.

Orange Box really was a huge jump from the old engine.. Someone just needs to rebuild the game from the ground up and really take advantage of the modern computing and the power of the engine... Even some of the newer HD games are based of the old UT engine.. Orange Box could be used to make CSS a really nice game however I doubt they'll put the work into it :-\

I think they are putting a reasonable amount of work into it. They are adding soft particles for the smoke, new shadows, better hit boxes, possibly motion blur, dynamic lights. They could even add HDR to all the maps when they roll out the update if they wanted. MAYBE even make the Night Vision Goggles do something. Have you seen the new bomb explosion? It's awesome. :D

Considering CSS has been out for 6 years now, this is kind of sad. TF2 has received a ton of updates and what not but CSS has been ignored. I do not see how this move to the Orange Box engine is going to improve the game much. It will still pretty much look the same and the same issues that CSS had will still exist in this Beta version. Outdated graphics and the same guns. This game needs a true sequel. CSS wasn't much of a sequel or update from 1.6 for the exception of better graphics and physics. After 10+ years, I want to see CS2.

While I agree with you, have you met the majority of the CS players? They have a conniption fit at the mere idea of changing the game, just look at all the whining going on already on the Steam forums about the beta. Gabe is fearing for his life. :biglaugha:

While I agree with you, have you met the majority of the CS players? They have a conniption fit at the mere idea of changing the game, just look at all the whining going on already on the Steam forums about the beta. Gabe is fearing for his life. :biglaugha:

It's only all those dumb, "pro gamers", that think changing anything will ruin the game for them, but they are too lazy too adapt. They are the minority, but have the biggest mouths. The complain about the achievements and stuff, claiming the game is, "becoming TF2", which is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Who pooped in your refrigerator? :wiggle2:

It's not going to take much of an update to bring back some folks, at least for the short term. I'm cool with that. I miss gaming with familiar "faces"

Who pooped in your refrigerator? :wiggle2:

It's not going to take much of an update to bring back some folks, at least for the short term. I'm cool with that. I miss gaming with familiar "faces"

i wish i could claim responsibility :wiggle2:

an update to css in the same spirit as the 1.6 to css update would definitely bring me back. don't change the game play.

After playing with the folks this weekend, this update can't come soon enough. I'm itching to try it out and maybe bring a little focus back to GC. I'd probably evening spring for membership again.

hey guys!

its sad to see CS playing catch up.. oh well, here's to waiting for HL3!

im sure there's a reason but why haven't they changed the "exploit" where you can fast switch with the AWP to reload it? imo, that gun is powerful enough...

From what I've read through Steam, the Beta is not available to any new participants. They just pushed out an update for the BETA ONLY, so if you're already in the beta you can get the update. Once the beta is complete, then the masses (i.e. us) can have all the new features. Possibly reviving the interest in CS in this community, possibly reinvigorating retro, and possibly adding another no-scope server (r.i.p. project mayhem).

Or possibly none of these things.

whatever.

Oh yea!!! Can't wait to get home and try it out

Edit: Installing the Beta will still allow you to play in non-Beta servers (whatever that means) right?

Yes, it is considered a different game when installed. You will need to play in beta servers.

From what I've read through Steam, the Beta is not available to any new participants. They just pushed out an update for the BETA ONLY, so if you're already in the beta you can get the update.

I was able to install it last night so it looks like maybe it is opened up to all or at least more people.