PS3 PSN Failure

NorgmaN

I posted this in the console section but this is a pretty big deal, so I am posting it in the general forum as well.

If you haven't heard already PSN has massively failed over the last week and was hacked. Tons of information was stolen and is now floating around. Please read the attached article. Change passwords if you can, and WATCH YOUR CREDIT CARDS!!!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/

(edited)

UkOAj.png

Just to confirm, ALL CUSTOMER INFORMATION has been compromised on PSN. All of it. Your CC, your email, and your passwords. This is not, "someone might find them" this is "someone has them already"

Many people are already reporting suspicious/malicious activity on their CCs and email accounts.

Shut. Down. Everything.

Side note: I'm so happy Sony has spent the previous two decades (three...oh wow we're old) slowing the technological progress of consumer media with their (usually insane) DRM and copy-protection only to collect everyone's personal data and leave it unencrypted on a publicly accessible network.

This guy has his priorities straight!

Edited by anonymo

So how can we tell if Sony had that information in the first place? I'm not sure I ever put CC info in when I signed up for a PSN account.

If you never purchased anything from Sony via the PSN you should be O.K. However, I have changed all passwords associated with my PS3 (e-mail, netflix, router). I never had a c/c on the PSN so I'm not too worried, but still keeping an eye out for anything.

How were you able to change your PSN account password? I can't even log on to change mine.

I had a credit card on file with them. I called my card company and the fella that answered said they have been flooded with calls about the PSN network. He listed my card as lost or stolen and is sending me out a new one.

How were you able to change your PSN account password? I can't even log on to change mine.

I had a credit card on file with them. I called my card company and the fella that answered said they have been flooded with calls about the PSN network. He listed my card as lost or stolen and is sending me out a new one.

The PSN Network is down period, you can't log-in via your PS3 or via a browser. We have to wait till it comes back up... If it ever does.

Yeah i wanted to cahnge my password for my login but realized i cant without logging in lol. -_- Anywho, I never purchased anything via PSN but i have downloaded things that were free, i cant remember if that required me putting in a CC number, do u guys know or remember?

It shouldn't have, I've downloaded free stuff and demos and have never shared my CC with them.

Geez, what a freakin mess. Thankfully I never purchased anything on PSN, so my cards should be safe. I did change my email password though, didn't look like anything out of the ordinary happened though. I never really use that account for much other than when I have to sign up for something online!

I don't get what changing your email password is doing though, unless you use the same password for your PSN login as you use for your email. They got your email address, but you never should of given an email password anytime to get a PSN account. Not sure how they might even attempt at getting that password. Just make sure your security questions to retrieve it aren't "What city were you born in?" or "What is your date of birth?" since they have that information too lol.

Edited by samurai nightling

(edited)

I don't get what changing your email password is doing though, unless you use the same password for your PSN login as you use for your email. They got your email address, but you never should of given an email password anytime to get a PSN account. Not sure how they might even attempt at getting that password. Just make sure your security questions to retrieve it aren't "What city were you born in?" or "What is your date of birth?" since they have that information too lol.

I'd imagine hackers would brute force your E-mail to get the password but them changing it wouldn't do any good either. Probably for the people who use the same password for everything

Edited by Allanon

I'd imagine hackers would brute force your E-mail to get the password but them changing it wouldn't do any good either. Probably for the people who use the sane password for everything

Yeah, I used the same password for my junk email address as for my PSN login. It was purely out of laziness on my part, but I'm guessing I'm not the only person that did that. Obviously, all that is going to change once it comes back online.

Many people use the same password for everything. If your PSN password is the same as the password for the email address you use for PSN, they are probably already in it unless you changed it. If you used the email and password combo on other sites, they WILL figure it out. You'd be surprised to how many people use the same info across numerous sites.

• 2 weeks later...

Once the PSN store is back up. Everyone one gets two free downloads out of five PS3 games or four PSP games and other features such as 30 days of PSN+ for new members.

Free is free can't complain :D

PS3

Dead Nation

inFAMOUS

LittleBigPlanet

Super Stardust HD

Wipeout HD + Fury

PSP

LittleBigPlanet (PSP)

ModNation Racers

Pursuit Force

Killzone Liberation