Encourage people to up SI limits other than charger/spitter

ctrlfrk

At the moment no-one ever ups the limit on boomer/hunter/smoker/jockey because you seldom need more than the default number.

I was wondering if we could encourage people to up the limit by providing a buff that only activates once you get to 5/5.

A few examples (that I've seen on other servers)

Boomer @ 5/5:

Enables 'Boomer slap' -> Melee hits from the boomer knock survivors up and back a bit.

Jockey @ 5/5:

Enables 'Jockey jump' -> You gain the ability to hop over small obstacles when you're jockeying a survivor

Smoker @ 5/5:

Enables 'Smoker shuffle' -> After smoking a survivor you can very slowly back away out of harms way without losing the smoke

Hunter @ 5/5:

Enables 'Bleed effect' -> After a survivor has been pounced they suffer 1 damage per second for 5 seconds after they get back up.

(This extra damage is meant to be negligible, because the real reason for it is that you cannot bandage them for 5 seconds due to damage interrupting it)

I'm not sure if this would end up being buff, because we're talking 20~30 points to 'activate' the ability, which would mean less tanks/witches overall.

Perks are an idea which we've avoided in the past to keep things simpler. If we were to add them, I'd rather put them as a separate menu item--mostly so it is visible in the menu. Also that would force a team to choose between upping limits or buying a perk.

Giving them perks will stray the server from being a simple one. New people are already having a difficult time learning the point system and the commands, putting in new perks is just not necessary. Plus, some of those perks are absurdly overpower.

But I would imagine to encourage players to buy other spawns, there will be a need to lower the cost of buying after a certain class is maxed out. Such as if a spitter class is 5/5, other classes becomes cheaper by two point.

You could make upping jockies 1 point each and there would still be no reason to. I didn't realise 'perks' were so heavily frowned upon :S It was merely a suggestion to make upping the neglected SI more attractive.

I remember when Tanks were only 30 points... then 40 points... then now the 50.

And remember when heals were only 10 points? Oh those were the days.

Bring those days back - PLEASE - and get rid of the !sp.

On a serious side though, no matter how hard we try to teach, it seems to me that many new regular people just don't want to learn how to use the point system, with many becoming incapped and dead with 30pts plus, it becomes frustrating and annoying. How about adding an admin spray of some sort explaining these features?

On a serious side though, no matter how hard we try to teach, it seems to me that many new regular people just don't want to learn how to use the point system, with many becoming incapped and dead with 30pts plus, it becomes frustrating and annoying. How about adding an admin spray of some sort explaining these features?

Or perhaps a spawn delay penalty if you die with more than 15 points as a survivor at the end of a round - your initial spawn is delayed for 1 second for every point over 15?

Bring those days back - PLEASE - and get rid of the !sp.

Theres two types of people. Learning from Example, and Learning from Experience. One is learning from a third party and another is learning from whats happening to you. I dont know what the server is like, but seldomly when I played people told how the menu system works and they'd get it right away. I feel a lot of people are defaulting to Learn from Exp..

!help or !h that explains in short how the buy system works on the server "get points from kills or helping the team, you can use points for yourself or your team. Use !menu to accesses the menu system. Use !sp to send points to other players."

Edited by ValenAlvern

Take it from someone who has developed a massive rpg plugin, with so many features it makes your eyes bleed: Keep it simple. Perks would dissuade newer players from wanting to play at the server. They will overcomplicate things, and while you may think it would be easy as cake for players to pick up, just because you might, keep in mind that the current system isn't new to you, so while you'd be learning a single new feature, players that are new would be overwhelmed.

Consider this: For a new player to learn the whole system plus the overwhelming perks on top of it, it would be as if you tried to play skyrpg2. It would take you several rounds to collect your bearings, and you'd still be confused and asking questions. While more features does offer replay value, flexibility, and more things to do, it also ups the complexity. And the goal is to find an even ground for everyone.

GC Coalition Member

Take it from someone who has developed a massive rpg plugin, with so many features it makes your eyes bleed: Keep it simple. Perks would dissuade newer players from wanting to play at the server. They will overcomplicate things, and while you may think it would be easy as cake for players to pick up, just because you might, keep in mind that the current system isn't new to you, so while you'd be learning a single new feature, players that are new would be overwhelmed.

Consider this: For a new player to learn the whole system plus the overwhelming perks on top of it, it would be as if you tried to play skyrpg2. It would take you several rounds to collect your bearings, and you'd still be confused and asking questions. While more features does offer replay value, flexibility, and more things to do, it also ups the complexity. And the goal is to find an even ground for everyone.

+ perks make the game anoying and boring :) there are a few guys who will be overpowered

I wish I was playing during those days. I'm with everyone else on no to the perk system, I enjoy the server the way it is now.