Making survivors side more challenging

cecurity

Defibbing is already a bad idea 50% of the time because you lose 25 points with only a small chance of getting to the saferoom.

Often when I'm on the infected team and I see a survivor defibbing I'll let them finish before attacking. Because I know they're dead and won't make it to the end, so by defibbing they're just giving us a free 25 point lead.

Dude: you mean of defibbs or respawns?

I don't know about tanks on respawns and MAYBE, MAYBE, MAYBE on every 5 defibs or so. Not only their score will lower, but on every (let's say) 5 defib, infected team would get a tank. It would be totally dependable on map.

I think defibbing is fine like it is. It requires quite some points, and more importantly the time to perform the procedure, and a penalty. It's about 10vs10, and we want to keep it that way as long as possible. We don't want a player doing nothing the whole round just because the infected team did a great job. I think it gives us option other than sending points and respawning people since defibbing induce chaos immediately. If survivors don't need the points in the next 2 minutes, 30 points collectively to respawn people don't add much challenge in my experience, especially most of the time we use it only to burn excessive points at the end.

Any time 10 survivors make it to the saferoom is a team being unchallenged and a round wasted. I feel the emptiness from the inside, and I know I can play better and have more fun if there are more chaotic moments. Ideally if we can make both teams kinda shorta not making it to the saferoom, those are usually the best rounds. Right now, I know some maps are easier, but survivors make it to the saferoom way too often. The points system helps the survivors much more than the infected; sending points, self-revived, better guns and cheap throwables, comparing to increase spawn limit of infected, a witch that is slacking off some where and a 15 pts horde that doesn't do much good except sending pts to survivors. I like the current tank option. It really makes sense to me. But I still remember how it used to be.

Nerfing AKs, increase throwables to 11 pts and increase normal zombies damage is my suggestion.

• Like 1

Adding a low cost, 2-secs respawn option for the infected can also add more chaos for the survivors. In many instance survivors breeze through some important threshold because no one can spawn fast enough. One experienced infected can turn this around with such option. One still have to take some risk provided its not instant respawn, and it would cost maybe 8 points. Infected can really use some more "real" options to utilize their points, not everyone can make it to a tank especially when the survivors are breezing through.

Nevermind the defibs, spawn a tank upon player respawns. You could remove the limits on those and merely answer them with tanks. It seems like the infected team never responds to the person respawning quickly enough. In addition, it seems like if one person is extremely important, they are sent enough points to respawn and !heal anyway, so the black and white thing isn't the deterrent it should be. I also like the idea of a team waiting at the safe room at the end while their fallen comrade buys up and runs to them, only to bring a tank down upon them all.

I honestly think simply the nerfed AK has made a good impact. No one want to use it anymore. More players going to Assault Rifle or one of the snipers. Up the fireworks/gascan to 5 and I think we're good to go.

(edited)

Biggs please don't not do anything. I just played first 2 rounds on Death Toll. Some survivors got assault rifles already before I joined on the first round. There was no fun literally. On second stage we made a come back but we were dominating. We all had assault rifles this time. I ended up hoarded 80 pts as survivor, had 60 pts left at the end, and I was not the point farmer. I wish there was an option to send points to the other team.

That is one of the reason I don't play as often as before. I didn't notice firework is still 3 pts, stop the madness~~ I am sure many better players I want to play with feel the game is not as challenging as before.

Edited by cecurity

How about instead of making fireworks and gascans more expensive, we instead add fire damage back in? Is it possible to have FF fire damage but no FF bullet damage?

I think the banning of new players would skyrocket. Simple molotov in the saferoom. Don't even want to think of the new trolling possibilities.

I like the change on the AK. A bump in the price of fire items would be welcome as well.

As for defibs, i never really liked them. Once you succesfully kill a player, he should stay dead. Tanks on respawn could be a good deterrent, and while i understand some people fear it, i think it's impact is greatly exaggerated.

Besides fighting tanks is fun.

Edit: limiting something to an absolute number (defibs, heals, tier1 weapons) is just too complicated. We'll be at each other's throats in minutes for 'wasting a defib' or 'healing up to fast'. This game has enough frustrating elements as it is.

Edited by TheDude

It's already too easy for Survivors. How about rolling scale of SI respawn timers, that decrease in time as the score difference increases?

For example:

If there's a 500 point difference in team score, SI respawn timer goes to 10 seconds

If there's a 1000 point difference in team score, respawn timer goes to 5 seconds

Over 1500 point difference, respawn timer goes to 2 seconds (or 1)

Will it make an overall difference in score? Probably not. But at least for 1 round, the SI would (theoretically) completely destroy the Survivors... giving the "losing team" a sense of accomplishment - not to mention the possibility for the score to get more even as the teams progress through a campaign.

It's already too easy for Survivors. How about rolling scale of SI respawn timers, that decrease in time as the score difference increases?

For example:

If there's a 500 point difference in team score, SI respawn timer goes to 10 seconds

If there's a 1000 point difference in team score, respawn timer goes to 5 seconds

Will it make an overall difference in score? Probably not. But at least for 1 round, the SI would (theoretically) completely destroy the Survivors... giving the "losing team" a sense of accomplishment - not to mention the possibility for the score to get more even as the teams progress through a campaign.

500 points isnt really that big of a difference. Also the freeze time before you can click away from your death cam is like 5 seconds so I would say for 1k points it should be 15 seconds and 1.5k 10 secs, then maybe at 2k you can do 5 secs for lolz

Nah. At 2000 points it's obvious the SI side is gonna get whomped... as they obviously cannot progress very far as Survivors.

Once the Survivor side gets that far ahead, best-case scenario by Chapter 3 of a campaign, it's time to whoop up on some Survivors.

And yes, it's 5 secs before you can go into freelook...but that's factored in regardless of what number the SI respawn timer starts to count down from.

Edited by Baloosh

For example:

If there is a huge disparity between two teams in score, it's likely that the teams are "stacked". Reducing respawn timers may just let the survivors get more SI kills faster.

Would people like it if I added an Infected item that allows whoever buys it to decrease the spawn timer by 10%?

That sounds like a good idea...but would it be for the whole team or just the individual?

It would be for the whole team obviously. I was thinking of making it cost maybe 15 points?

There are 2 cvars that control your respawn timer before you spawn in as a ghost (taken from the server.cfg file):

sm_cvar z_ghost_delay_max 20 //Spawn timers
sm_cvar z_ghost_delay_min 15

Which is funny because the vanilla value for those is like 30 seconds for the max, and 20 seconds for the min. Imagine if I left those at default...

Ahem...

The item in question would apply to both Max and Min delays. So 10% from each would be:

18 seconds for max

13 seconds for min

Not a big difference, but I was thinking of letting players buy it 3 times. Making it so by the time the item is bought 3 times (with the price incrementing each time), the max spawn timer would be at 15 seconds and the min would be 11 seconds. That's a pretty significant change in spawn timers.

And no, this wouldn't be hard to do at all.

Plus, if I keep adding purchases to the Infected menu... I'm going to have to sub-menu items then because it's pretty amateurish to have a menu have multiple pages when you can be more organized with it.