Is it worth RACING to get that present ?

Avengers

(edited)

Is it worth RACING to get that present ? Currently the answer is yes, its a free point. Whats amazing is it doesn't matter if you are the only one standing or you killed the infected or not....everyone runs towards it.

So i was curious if it was possible to modify the code for the gift to instead of ALWAYS rewarding you with one point, it would reward you with any of the following items depending on its rarity:

• +1 point (25% Chance)
  • -1 point (25% Chance)
  • Ammo Refill (10% Chance)
  • Molotov, Bile Jar or Pipe Bomb (10% Chance)
  • Adrenaline Shot or Pills (10% Chance)
  • First Aid Kit or Defibrillator (5% Chance)
  • Random Primary Weapon (5% Chance)
  • Random Secondary Weapon (5% Chance)
  • Reduce Health by 10 points (2% Chance)
  • BW or Infected Survivor (2% Chance)
  • +15 Points (1% Chance)

Mainly the goal is to keep the reward from a present SURPRISING. It would also bring the team to work together, even the best players could get infected and have their health reduced by simply picking up a present.

I would love to hear from others who play L4d on the GC server regarding this idea, and if you have more items for the above list, i can edit my post to include them as well.

Thanks,

Avengers

Edited by Avengers
  • Like 1

This is definitely possible (unless I'm crazy).

Maybe this number of rewards/penalties is overkill, but it would be cool to have a 'surprise' element to collecting presents. The risk of injury/infection, I'm not so sure about..

It's a gift...people run towards gifts, and it'll be a natural reaction no matter what. When Valve released the gift session for the end of 2012, their gifts looked different than ours, yet people still chased after them even though it didn't reward a thing.

Also, I think Jackie implemented a gift system that made you chase for them? The gifts would appear and start scurrying away, and I would watch like 3 people just chasing after it (running towards the beginning of the map instead of forward). And this was all for 1 point.

Sky
(edited)

This is definitely possible (unless I'm crazy).

Maybe this number of rewards/penalties is overkill, but it would be cool to have a 'surprise' element to collecting presents. The risk of injury/infection, I'm not so sure about..

Yes, it's possible!

Simply use GetRandomInt(1, 100) (or whatever value max you want; 1000 if you want to allow tenth/pct rolls, etc.)

and award the item based on the roll.

It's a gift...people run towards gifts, and it'll be a natural reaction no matter what. When Valve released the gift session for the end of 2012, their gifts looked different than ours, yet people still chased after them even though it didn't reward a thing.

Also, I think Jackie implemented a gift system that made you chase for them? The gifts would appear and start scurrying away, and I would watch like 3 people just chasing after it (running towards the beginning of the map instead of forward). And this was all for 1 point.

In my rpg mod, I actually made it so players could shoot the gifts that dropped. My god it was fun watching how cutthroat people got. One person is about to grab it and someone shoots it. Does it cause problems when people are more interested in hunting the items that drop than helping teammates?

Edited by Sky

(edited)

This is brilliant if true! Are you sure it wasn't Jackie using a present survivor skin or some other shenanigans??

@Avanger Avengers

If we are going to add disadvantages to the presents, i think survivors should at least have a choice not to pick up the presents. Right now some presents are obtained almost instantly because survivors just happens to be right underneath the infected (i.e. hunter pounce, charger grab). Perhaps dice rolls and/or betting mod akin to what you see in CS is a better solution?

Edited by Socks

@Avanger Avengers

If we are going to add disadvantages to the presents, i think survivors should at least have a choice not to pick up the presents. Right now some presents are obtained almost instantly because survivors just happens to be right underneath the infected (i.e. hunter pounce, charger grab). Perhaps dice rolls and/or betting mod akin to what you see in CS is a better solution?

Very good point. Unless it is changed so SI don't drop presents when they have a survivor pinned, then it probably doesn't make sense to have a risk/reward element to presents, since as you say many of them are collected automatically.

(edited)

I like the idea but i'm not sure about the disadvantages of the presents. Usually gifts are positive stuff right ?

I dunno... If you ask a videogame for your 8th birthday and your dad gives you a leaf blower...

Edited by TheDude

I like the idea but i'm not sure about the disadvantages of the presents. Usually gifts are positive stuff right ?

I dunno... If you ask a videogame for your 8th birthday and your dad gives you a leaf blower...

It wasnt a real question -_-

It wasnt a real question -_-

Then why does it end with a question mark?

Rhetorical question.... i just couldnt find the word.... stop trolling me xD you guys know english is not my first language !!

And yet 'une question rhétorique' is not that different a word from 'a rhetorical question'...

BAZINGA

• Like 1

The only problem with gifts is that I don't know how to make them obey gravity. If I make them into anything other than a "prop_physics_override" entity, they don't want to appear, or they act the exact same say (just float in air). If someone wants to enlighten me on how to do this, that would be cool too.

why not use the same code as the gifts from the 2012 achievement, that would also fix people from auto getting them since i believe they popped out from the infected instead of dropping, i may be wrong about hat last part though. Hopefully that is available to the public.