E L E C T R I C I T Y ? ? ?

Fatty

:blink:

Okay, I'm following some more leads, but I have to ask you guys that know this stuff to help me out here.

If we can't run more than say 4 or 5 on a circuit, what type of place would one look for that has 10-15 freakin circuits running around, or, I guess more than 20 amp circuits. We may need a generator no matter where we go, it sounds like.

I got a couple more good leads while at camp talking with some parents over the last few days. One looks good. It's a town hall, rather large. I'll post up after I visit the premises.

60ppl = 12x20amp circuits

if rooms are 'circuit based' and the room with the most circuits = 4

then were obviously talking about a place that can hold something like a bazaar-

a presentation room of sorts.

Perhaps we can work this out with a 'lancenter' in the surrounding area, hell the owners may wanna get in on the competition or use us as a promotion idea to get the kiddies to come in after school or something.

i dunno...me go thinks in teh corner kneeling on dried peas until i can come up with something more...

and ummm a lancenter has lotsa multiplayer games to decide from

and we already know how to make space:

geeksextreme.jpg

golly gee!, that is where I WANT TO BE!!! I could sleep there and everything :D

On a side note, i would rather there be no outsiders.....community only.

Generators aren't really that expensive to rent.

I'm not an expert by any means but I have 3 computers, 2 monitors, 1 laptop, scanner, printer a 52" tv, surround sound dvd and a couple fans on one 15amp circuit and have no issues.

I think someone said before that the worst problem would be the startup load but you can get around that by being careful about how many you start at once.

GC Founder

I also think we can have more than 5 on a circuit.

We had 3 circuits last year...and how may people? I think we could safely assume 7-8 computers / circuit. Mom can bring his own circuit.

Well, here at my work, running on a 30amp circuit, we have 12 computers, 12 monitors, a mini-fridge, 2 fans 2 laptops and an ari compressor. We have never had a single problem. Now when we were on a 20 amp circuit, we blew the line once or twice and had to reset it.

Don't know if this helps, cause i don't know much abotu electricity. But i hope it does :D

My large 20in sony monitor requires about 1.7 amps and a 300 watt power supply takes around 2.5 amps WATTS/VOLTAGE = Amps. So on a 20 amp breaker (12 gauge wire) you can get about 4.5 computers. As long as the main box is big enough I can get some breakers and some romex and some outlets and we can temp wire in some new ones.

If I remember correctly we could only get 5 computers on a breaker at the last frag fest

We wouldn't even need romex for a temp. If you want to do something like that, I can get some 10 gauge from work and we could just put it in some flex for safety. But heck, where ever we decide on this shindig going down at, if they let us, we could just take a look in the breaker panel, and get some higher amperage breakers. and swap them out.

We wouldn't even need romex for a temp. If you want to do something like that, I can get some 10 gauge from work and we could just put it in some flex for safety. But heck, where ever we decide on this shindig going down at, if they let us, we could just take a look in the breaker panel, and get some higher amperage breakers.  and swap them out.

Not an electrician but...

Wouldn't that be kinda unsafe?

GC Founder

<steps in, coughs into microphone>

We are proud to announce the possibility of a fireworks show at this year's fragfest! However, anyone present during the light show will have to pay an additional $20 fee, save for anyone directly involved or actually burning as a result of the entertainment.

<looks around, steps down from podium>

We wouldn't even need romex for a temp. If you want to do something like that, I can get some 10 gauge from work and we could just put it in some flex for safety. But heck, where ever we decide on this shindig going down at, if they let us, we could just take a look in the breaker panel, and get some higher amperage breakers.  and swap them out.

Not an electrician but...

Wouldn't that be kinda unsafe?

Actually Con, it wouldn't be any less safe than romex. If something were going to happen, it'd happen regardless of whether it was in romex or PVC. I work at the power company and sometimes we have to temporary a service and we put a 120/240 volt service wire in conduit or flex.

On a side note, Fatty, you said Kemp had 2, 20 amp circuits to his barn. Does he have a breaker panel in the barn? And if so what is his meter base 100 or 200? We could add some circuits there if that is the case.

GC Founder

I think the barn was ruled out due to the heat factor of the middle of August. I could potentially be 90+ degrees and I don't even want to imagine what it might be in the attic of that barn....but I'll check anyways.

• 2 weeks later...
GC Founder

But we found another, bigger barn!

Ok, we're gonna have some flex with the electricityl. He said we could remove the panel to mess with and get all 100 amps from the barn I suppose, however that works.

We also need to be able to bring juice about 130-140 yards down the way.

See this topic.

Anyways...last year we had what, 3 20 amp circuits? We ran about 25 machines on this with some issues....including the fridge, the lights, 2 27 inch tvs and a bunch of fans.

Anyone know how much a fridge uses?

Anyways, if we say 6 people / 20 amps safely, that means we need 200 AMPS for 60 people. That's what we have, and that would be generous, because I think we can do more than 6 per circuit. Maybe I'm nuts.

How many amps to generators put out (I've got an email in to Kemp to ask him what size his is) I'm sure they put out different amounts, but what's the smallest one there might be?

Guest [SFC]Preacher
Guest [SFC]Preacher
Guest [SFC]Preacher
Guests

Just FYI

If needed I have 3 110 A/C units that I could bring one is the largest 110 unit made. the other 2 are typical small window units. I'm driving alone from Mo. in my van so I'll have the space.

Let me know cuz I'll have to pull em out of windows in my church that week lol. (Be good to sweat some of the sin from the congregation anyway lol) :o

:lol: