New Fish Tank Set Up

Fatty

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man...this is a hobby that I could actually get into! I wass sold by the pics of Fat's CS killin' office. What would have otherwise been a dungeon or broomcloset in the basement instead looks really cool...like a cozy underwater batcave or something.

I can tell that there is a lot to know and learn to be successful at keeping fishies. Is it an expensive hobby? Fat one tells me it is not too bad? Of course, I would love to someday have a huge saltwater tank and stuff...there is ALOT that I dont know about this! Maybe within the next year (esp if Mulva keeps nosing around here) we can get a Fish forum added. I have other monetary obligations for the moment though. So...chat away, I'll be over here watching!

<sits in corner>

GC Founder

Again, how long can I expect it to take for my oscars to reach adulthood, given the variables of water changes, etc?

Here's a shot of my 4 boys (note the other tank in reflection):

4oscars.jpg

I always liked the bowed tanks.

Here's a closeup of one of the tiger oscars:

tigeroscar.jpg

GC Founder

Additional note:

Oscars don't work well with little decorations in your tank (notice above, patrick has been completely laid out, and above that Gary has been knocked down too) Even squidward and spongebob are not up anymore, but you can't see em all in these pics. :unsure:

Guest mulva
Guest mulva
Guest mulva
Guests
(edited)

ya, oscars sure like to move things around in the tank.....they are also known for breaking heaters sometimes.

As far as how long it will take for them to outgrow the tank, that depends on a few things. What do you feed them, how much do you feed them, how healthy they are, how well you take care of your water.

Its been years since I kept oscars....and when I did I was much younger, and didnt take care of my fish like I do now. If you have had those oscars since they were small, you would be better at figuring out what their growth rate is.

When they do outgrow the tank, I suggest you switch over to african cichlids.....just amazing fish ;)

Here are some more shots of some of my tanks.

These are juvi calvus....AMAZING fish when adults.

calvus.jpg

orange compressicep

comp.jpg

2 frontosa

focus.jpg

lwanda

lwanda.jpg

tetracanthus

tetracanthus2.jpg

Edited by mulva

Guest mulva
Guest mulva
Guest mulva
Guests

couple shots of full grown calvus, and comps.

russ_calvus_pearl_black.jpg

a_compressiceps_Coppper_Head_NamansiReef.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

wow....i really want a fish tank...

whats the cost of something that size and how hard is the up keep...ive always wanted a fish tank and i dont care what kind of house i get im gettin the 75+ gallon coffee table fish tank

i like our fish tank...its fun to watch. endless hours of entertainment. its funny, my dog watches them and bites at the tank. we are lookin at getting a 92 gallon tank. i would like to do a saltwater tank.

huh huh, fish tanks can get really expensive to keep up with. also, it depends, i think, on what type of fish you want. for ex. saltwater fish, are really exoensive. you would be better off goin to FL with your net and scoopin them out, then goung and buying some. -_- nah i don't know much about them. but they are cool

i just let watch have his hobby. poor kid, its the only thing that keeps him goin.

:lol:

I set up a 55 gallon around the same time Fatty did. The initial cost can get a little high. I spent somewhere in the range of 300 to get everything set up and another 30-40 for fish. A little costly, but I personally will never not have a tank set up.

Up keep isn't too bad. Partial water changes every week or every other week (about 10%) and a good cleaning of the glass to remove algae, 25% water change and new filters once a month.

If you never have had a tank, you're better to start off with a smaller tank. I recommend a 20 or 29 gallon to start with. It takes a little time to learn about water conditions (keeping the fish alive) and maintenance.

Let me know if you want to learn more about it.

If you are thinking about gettin a tank, PLease go ehre first.. http://fish.orbust.net/forums/

Great forums with very helpful ppl. Describes "new tank syndrome" which you should try to avoid(fattys poor minnows) by "cycling" the tank before you put fish in. By doing so, you basically setup a bateria colony that uses up the fishes waste. Otherwise it's like they're swimming around in a toilet bowl and will likely get sick and/or die :crazy: . I used this stuff called Bio-Spira that got the bateria going Quick, so for those of you that can't wait :) A few of the fish just got a case of Ich which I'm about done treating with Nox-Ich.. Worked perdy good. I think I like the plants as much as I do the fish! :) PLants also help tremendously with oxygenating and filtering the water.. <--- Water quality is very important unless you want unhappy fishies :)

Bean, what kind of fish do you have? Why not get some algae eaters to clean the glass for ya? The otocinclus is particularly good at it.. Pretty small species as well. And who told u to change filters monthly? This is where alot of your beneficial bacteria live and not necessary. Unless your talking about the activated carbon media which is useless after a months use. I'm reading more and more about how Filter Floss is just as effective as carbom and costs like $3.00 for a lifetime supply! I'd say rinse those filer sponges or whatever out in discarded tank water and reuse.. No need to replace each month.. THat forum that I posted up there seriously rocks. I'm there quite a bit ;)

List of whats in our tank:

8 ~ Rosy Tetra

6 ~ Red Phantom Tetra

3 ~ Clown Loaches

1 ~ Clown Pleco

1 ~ Red Paradise Gourami

1 ~ Otocinclus

20 Gal PLanted with

1 Anubias barteri

1 nice bunch of Cabomba

5 Swords

5 Sagittaria

1 Java fern on a nice piece of driftwood

Bean, what kind of fish do you have?  Why not get some algae eaters to clean the glass for ya?  The otocinclus is particularly good at it..  Pretty small species as well.  And who told u to change filters monthly?  This is where alot of your beneficial bacteria live and not necessary.  Unless your talking about the activated carbon media which is useless after a months use.  I'm reading more and more about how Filter Floss is just as effective as carbom and costs like $3.00 for a lifetime supply!  I'd say rinse those filer sponges or whatever out in discarded tank water and reuse..  No need to replace each month..  THat forum that I posted up there seriously rocks.  I'm there quite a bit ;)

List of whats in our tank:

8 ~ Rosy Tetra

6 ~ Red Phantom Tetra

3 ~ Clown Loaches

1 ~ Clown Pleco

1 ~ Red Paradise Gourami

1 ~ Otocinclus

20 Gal PLanted with

1 Anubias barteri

1 nice bunch of Cabomba

5 Swords

5 Sagittaria

1 Java fern on a nice piece of driftwood

Nice set-up Watch.

I was mentioning the carbon filters to be changed once a month. I have a dual Bio-wheel filter system (probably the best one out there). Once a month, I change the carbon filters and a second charcoal media. I never touch the Bio-wheels, they are what contain a lot of the biological filter.

I did a lot of research on the set-up. Nice link. The biological filter is the hardest thing to get going in a new tank. I've found that when setting up a new tank, it's best to gradually add fish. But I've heard that Bio-spira is the best product out to help get it going. (They are the company that make the Bio-wheel filter system)

I have:

2 Silver Dollar fish

2 Bala Sharks

2 Angel fish

2 Cory's

3 Zebra Danio's

6 Pristella Tetra's

and 1 Pleco

I also have a 25 gallon with 5 goldfish (they were rescued from a backyard pond before winter came)

I only tried live plants one time, but didn't have any luck with them. They all died and I had replaced the light with one that was supposed to help them. Plus, I got some with snails and they started mulitiplying, was never able to get rid of them until I took down the 20 for the 55. I might try live plants in the future.

Yeah our Gourami took care of the one little snail that was taking some bites out of the swords.. It hink the loaches would've got him too.. Those balas get pretty big(14in) but it will take some time.. And the biowheel does look like a good idea.. I've been looking into adding one onto our tank.. And again, filter floss is proven to be just as effective as any other inserts, a fraction of the cost, and your not disrupting you cycles as much as whole new media.. I'm currently using a carbon insert in my Aquaclear Mini filter but am about to replace it with some floss and see how that goes.. Signed up on that messageboard yet bean? I'm waiting to see your "hi" post in the newbie section! :)