Question for Christians

Guest zerodamage

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Have any of you had doubts in the past or lost your way? When I joined the Navy some years ago I lost it. I found myself doubting the existance of God and was over all very negative. I am sure many of you have had doubts in the past... most people do at one time or another. What did you do to regain your faith or dispell the doubt? While I am closer than ever after this weekend to believing again.... I just have the nagging doubt in the back of my mind that I can not get rid of. SO I am wondering how some of you delt and deal with it.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've doubted....not massive doubts but there have been times in the back of my mind where I'll think: "What if this is wrong? What if God DOESN'T exist?"..........then I just look at the evidence and I can't even force myself to doubt.....

to put it simply (and MASSIVELY cut down):

-there is SO MUCH scientific evidence for an intelligent designer that I CANNOT deny it....look into the DNA molecule if you're interested...that's 1 example of millions.

-once we know there is an intelligent designer we need to understand who it is. I see 2 viable options: 1) a god 2) another race of beings from another planet.

-I look at the vast amount of space out there and the fact that we have yet to see zero evidence (that's proven) for another race of intelligent beings and to me that says a god

-once I understand that this world was intelligently designed by a god...I need to figure out which god.....I look at the evidence for them all and the only one that even begins to make sense to me is the God of Christianity (and the God of the Jews)

-I then look at the evidence for his son Jesus Christ.....ever heard the "Liar, Lunatic, or Savior" speech?....check into it....it might just blow your mind.

to put it simply....with the claims that Jesus Christ made he could have only been 3 things:

1) a liar

2) a lunatic

3) telling the truth....and therefore the son of God and our savior

(basically the Liar/Lunatic/Savior argument came about in defence of ppl who said "Christ was a good man, smart spiritual scholar....but he couldn't have been the Son of God")

now, the things Jesus did are historically backed by people who did not follow him...so we know what he did was truth and not just massive lies spread by his followers.....

I wish I could go into it more...but I'm at work and we're talking 1,000's of pages of information could be used to show the historical accuracy of Christs works and how they actually happened.

I have had some doubts. Sometimes i still doubt, but i try to get involved in the community. Going to church, helping at picnic's, banquets, what not. Just trying to be the best i can and trying to follow Christianity. It affects many decisions so when i have doubts i can't really decide to the best of my ability. bah i'm just rambling.

-I look at the vast amount of space out there and the fact that we have yet to see zero evidence (that's proven) for another race of intelligent beings and to me that says a god

If there is no proof other space life forms, what is the cold hard evidence that there is a god? I believe it is all mostly speculation, stories and scientific theories and experiments. Pick your poison?

Hey watchtower....you're a moderator here...read the title of this thread please. This isn't a debate about existance, it's a question for Christians. I'm not sure playaa's post was meant to open that old debate here, he was only outlining his thoughts as a Christian.

----------

We all lose our way. We all stray. It's a good thing that Jesus is the true shepherd, He knows our names, He knows our troubles, He knows our faces, and He'll never give up on us, no matter how far we stray. He prays for you and I constantly.

I used to doubt the idea of eternal salvation...the idea that we couldn't forfeit our salvation. My mind was unable to conceive the fact that God offers the gift of salvation, which is a PERFECT gift, one we can't truly grasp because of our flaws. Praise God that my eyes were opened. Saved is saved, and only you and the Almighty know. If you're saved, there's not a place you can stray that's too far for God to reach you. While we tire and lose grip, His strength is eternal and everlasting.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I think I understand everything now. Thanks guys. I do not doubt now. Been spending a lot of time with it these past several days.

If you didn't notice, I am no longer posting in the Political Forums. I do not believe Soul is either. My reason is the negativity. I just do not wish to deal with it any longer. It just isn't worth it. I am sorry I ever posted there to begin with. If I can't find positive reasons to keep posting in these forums, then I may leave them altogether. I hope it doens't come to that. This thread shows that there are those out there in this family here that do care.

I've also given up CS completely. This was another huge negative aspect that I do not need to deal with. To be honest. I've hated the game for a long time. It is an addiction though. How a game could be an addiction I do not know, but it is. It has to be for me to play it as long as I have and the fact I absolutely hate it. I will however hang out here in the forums if things do not get out of hand.

Hey playaa, if you have a link to a website with those facts and what not, please post it. I actually would like to see it. Thanks

Edited by zerodamage

to answer Watch's post (since fatty already said what I wanted to :lol: ) I have plenty of cold hard evidence that supports 1 true God....otherwise I wouldn't believe in him.....

but, you are correct when you say it is "mostly speculation" and by that I mean that no matter WHAT you come across in this life, no matter HOW MUCH evidence there is....it all comes down to whether you wanna believe....

If evidence ever popped up to support life on other planets, my first reactions would be that it was fake...why? Because I don't believe it. I view the evidence for God as cold hard facts....why? Because I believe it......

I'm man enough to admit that I do this and I know that every human in this world does it. Sure we can all be convinced of something....but that doesn't mean that we aren't biased at one time or another.....the best I can do is recognize my preset ideas and do my best to get beyond them.

and ZD, I don't have 1 specific website for all those facts...it's all stuff I've learned throughout my life...most of it is in books or in sermons or studies I've heard or read.....

though I did recently find this site. I haven't even had a chance to look through it all but it looks like it would be great.

hello everyone,

Im kinda new here. I just starte playing CS about 2 1/2 weeks ago and I'm enjoying it alot. Kind of like playing Paintball which is alot of fun but it's much cheaper.

I'm enjoying the server for the enforced policies that are implemented into the game play making much better. I can't stand all the cussing and racial or sexual statments made by people (usually young people) who don't care about anything or anyone themselves. So I've really enjoyed learning the game and playing on this server.

I totally doubt my faith many times. It's so easy to do. It's amazing cause many people who believe the bible don't even catch that John the Baptist even doubted Jesus. This dude walked with him, baptized him, saw miracled by him yet later STILL DOUBTED. If this cat could doubt then how can we not.

I don't believe there is unquestionable evidence to Gods existence. If there was then I feel faith would be a little meaningless. Its not like other things around us that we touch and feel. Often I ask others how I am supposed to be in love with someone I have never touched or felt or literally had a discussion with.

So anyhow I doubt too. Big time. Recently I find Sermons boring as dishwater and stale as old bread. I need interaction at church.

Anyhow I'm off the topic.

Glad to join you all and meet you all.

bye for now

Gene

You mean more than have posted here?

The number of people, y, that have posted here in this topic, does not equal the number of Christains, z, in this community. y < z.

This is the first thread in this forum I've posted in in a long while.

Where are you drawing your conclusion from?

ZD, I am a Christian and would have posted but I could go on for days. I will read your post again when I have a little time to properly reply.

I will say this though, even though I have a very logical and analytical mind, God has also blessed me with the insight of a child in that, I don't need Him to prove Himself to me. I trust that the promises he makes in the Bible, albeit hard to accept or believe for some, will come true. I went through a period in High School where I just liked being a butthole. I didn't NOT believe in God or anything, I just wanted to do my own thing and I enjoyed pushing the buttons of my sisters and aunt who were strong Christians and always trying to "convert" me. When I turned 18 and got out of High School, I realized that I couldn't deny it anymore and I knew there was more of a purpose in life than to just "do" life. That purpose is to help expand the Kingdom of Heaven by spreading the truth that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and He came to earth, fully God and fully Man, to willingly die on cross, and in that shedding of His innocent blood, be the sacrifice for all of our sins, allowing us to come into a proper communion with God.

Sorry, I rambled but you get me on this topic and I can go for days, not because of any of the book knowledge on it but because I KNOW that God is good and He desires life for all of us. We just have to accept Christ.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
You mean more than have posted here?

The number of people, y, that have posted here in this topic, does not equal the number of Christains, z, in this community. y < z.

This is the first thread in this forum I've posted in in a long while.

Where are you drawing your conclusion from?

I really am not drawing a conclusion. It was more of a question. I was thinking such a question would bring out all kinds of repliers. Dat is tall. :P

I tend to believe that no matter how strong or confident the person (Apostle Paul, John the B, Peter) they all doubted like Thomas. I think we all doubt. I feel that I gave into my intellect of knowing I should not doubt so for a long time I never admitted it. Now that I've grown some I feel I can admit the truth to others about life and beliefs.

Is there anyone that doesn't ever doubt? It's almost like saying "Im not proud". Perhaps I'm wrong and there are some that do not....

Do they logically reason? I struggle with apparent or seemingly contradictions like Calvinism and Armenianism. Or how do works and grace both play a part in our lives. I know, most people say they are not contradictions but Dichotames. I say "I am not sure". Whatever the case

MMMM is playing "viallage map" right now which my pc said "cant find village.wad in valve directory" so I have time to type this.

Cool huh?

Auggy

Well, there is nothing wrong with doubt. Like auggy said, everyone, even the Biblical heros doubted but it is when we let that doubt effect our actions that we start to falter. Even Paul asked his readers (in his epistles) to pray that his faith is increased so that he will continue to do what God has called him to do and not fall to doubts and fears. Another great thing that Paul said is that if we lack faith, all we have to do is pray that God will increase our faith.

All I know is that God has never let me down. I am going through some rough times in my life right now and I know that it is not God's fault but my own for not trusting on Him more fully and losing sight of His desires. It is easy to live for myself, everyone does it, but to live for Him is much more rewarding.

Dweez, I appreciate that point alot. Although I blame God. Im kidding! I blame myself and this others. What I mean by blaming others is that they don't help the situation at all either. I have people in my life...uhhhh shall I call them BOSSES who are pure 100% grade a a-holes.

I find that I hate them....It's my fault I hate them ultimately, but if you treat people like crap they will hate you. So both of our sin builds up more sin.

I like that you point out Pauls struggles too. I am one who reads Romans 7 and 8 and feel Paul admitted he struggled. I know there are many who say Paul was not saying that but he says it in Galatians if not in Romans so I don't see the problem of interpretation.

Goot, good job on a 2.1 $300.00 unit. Whatever you do never buy one of thos 1200.00 pc's. Build it yourself if you don't know how to

you can hook up with someone here like me or probably every other person. It's sooooo simple you wouldn't believe it. Heak you being a gamer probably already know how. For 300.00 bucks I would buy it too. It was nice meeting you and playing. Look foward to more games and conversation goot.

Late,

Auggy

by "it" I meant any absolute........

see that's what most ppl don't really get about facts.....facts are absolutes........they do not depend on us or our opinions.....and just because something is absolute doesn't mean we know it.........

the fact that the earth is round is an absolute.........but when man thought the earth was flat did that change that the earth was actually round?

just like with other things we don't know/understand.....there IS a definate answer.......we just don't always see it.

Dweez, i meant Everyone would believe the same thing if there were cold hard fact. The reality is there are so many different belief systems because no one has been proven to be fact. If it were then it would be a whole lot easier for everyone to believe ie; "a world full of believers". If Jesus came down to earth once a week and healed people, that would be cold hard evidence. How couldn't yopu believe then? That's what I have been trying to explain.

p.s Dont mind me, carry on :)

Someday every single being will believe. Every knee will bow.

There wouldn't be any free will left if God chose to "prove." Remember, this world is not of God....it's ours to beautify and bring glory to Him through it and our lives, or to destroy, or to ignore.

But, again, 100% of the world will believe one day...just a matter of whether or not you're smiling at that time. :halo::boing::wavey::peace:

You present a very deep question, Watchtower. A lot of theologians struggle with stuff like that.

How far does God predestine things?

Many christians explain it like this. God has a will for you. A path He wants you to follow. But as you mess up and dont follow the path, God designs a new path. That is kind of over complicating the matter. But "A good man's steps are ordered by the Lord" so when we step we allow him to direct. Steps can be big or small. But the first step God wants everyman to take is to come to him "All that come unto me in Christ Jesus I will in nowise cast out" (quoting from memory). And

"God is not willing that any should perish but that all men, everywhereshould repent" or something like that. So God's will for everyone is that they be saved. Its not like He is controlling us and we are robots.

But then you have passages in the Bible that seem to say that God predestined certain people to be saved and other to not be saved. Some of that is found in the latter chapters of Romans. It confuses a lot of people. I spose the passage I hang my hat on is the one that says "Ye are predestined according to foreknowledge" or something like that. So in essence God KNEW you would accept Him because he can see the future and went ahead and sealed the deal (wrote my name in the Book of Life).

All of this is pretty complicated thinking... so I spose it would be a good time to quote "Gods ways are far above are ways... and his thoughts above our thought". Christians have debated this for centuries. And basically man is trying to reconcile the "Sovereignty of God" and the "Free will of man". I tend to think they work hand in hand. But the important thing is that we come to God the way He has instructed us to. Theologians can argue about this stuff all they want but in essence, its inconsequential.