• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests

May as well add to why Gretzky is the BEST.

Most Points in one season.

Wayne Gretzky: 215 - Edmonton Oilers - 1985-86

Most Goals in one season.

Wayne Gretzky: 92 - Edmonton Oilers - 1981-82

Most Assists in one season.

Wayne Gretzky: 163 - Edmonton Oilers - 1985-86

Longest Consecutive Point scoring streak.

Wayne Gretzky: 51 games - Edmonton Oilers - 1983-84

Most Goals scored in a career.

Wayne Gretzky: 894 - Oilers, Kings, Blues, Rangers - 1979-99

Most Assists in a career

Wayne Gretzky: 1963 - Oilers, Kings, Blues, Rangers - 1979-99

Most Points in a career

Wayne Gretzky: 2857 - Oilers, Kings, Blues, Rangers - 1979-99

Most 100 or more Point seasons.

Wayne Gretzky: 15 - Oilers, Kings, Blues, Rangers - 1979-99

Most 50 or more Goal seasons.

Wayne Gretzky: 9 - Oilers, Kings, Blues, Rangers - 1979-99

Mike Bossy: 9 - New York Islanders - 1977-87

Those are just SOME of his records.

I believe he holds 64/109.. but those numbers may be a tad off.

Just to give you guys a bit of a "level" to judge some of those points off...

Last season Peter Forsberg had 101 points to lead the scoring race, Milan Hejduk scored 45 goals, and Mark Messier (2nd all time in points) does not even have 2000, Gretzky was nearly at 3000.

• 4 weeks later...
My original thought was Bo too Rev...then I started thinking that, well, he did most of that on steriods so that kinda hurts his candidacy.  Then I started thinking of other 2 sport wonders and ended up with...oh man, it sucks to say this but...Deion Sanders.

He did? I must have missed that. O well, what should I expect... just look at Rose. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Armstrong is SUCH a better athlete than all of them. Its almost amazing.

The problem is cycling isnt a well known sport in the United States, so we go with other sports assuming that if yoru great at them your the best. But in Europe cycling is king, it is the most rigourous and one of the most dangerous sports out there.

Armstrong, 5 time winner of the Tour, has more endurance than the majority of those people you names COMBIND. Sure, he cant beat Ali in a boxing match, or out dunk jordan.

The thing is, as bad as he is at their sports, they wouldnt be able to finish half of a single Tour stage, probably not even a quarter. Might i remind you the Tour is over 2 weeks long, consecutively.

Armstrong has a VO2 level higher than almost anyone alive, this is a measurement of how much oxygen your blood can hold. His average breath gives him as much oxygen as 3 of the average persons breath.

Its just amazing...

• 1 year later...
Guest Bilbo
Guest Bilbo
Guest Bilbo
Guests

Or maybe that guy that can run faster than a cheetah in the olympics

Well since some one had to dig up this topic, I might as well say who I think is the best athlete ever.

It's a toss-up between Lance, MJ, Ali, and Jesse Owens.

*EDIT* and Bruce Lee

Edited by Rashad

• 1 month later...

You Know its hard to choose but i know for my picks for hockey well you know its gotta be Gretzky there is not doubt if u know hockey you know hes the great one hahh i made a funny, As far as Baseball hmmm Im Canadian so i only watch hockey but baseball im going to say Lou Gehrig, Uhm Basketball im going to say Not jorden i dont like him nor what he stands for as a person. Im going to say Wilt Chamberlain of all time.

Stephen redgrave! Won 5 olympic gold medals for rowing, over a 16 year span! Was knighted by the queen a few years ago and won a load of UK sports prizes.

Second would be paula radcliffe, the l33t great britian marathon runner. Thes incredibily consistant and has had a load of battles with herself and the press, but has come through to hold the london marathon record and a bunch of other awards.

• 3 weeks later...

Gretzky was the most dominant in terms of statistics...his points per game in hockey comes out to averaging something like 60 points a game in basketball for his career (old, obscure ESPN the magazine). But as far as greatest athlete, I'll have to go with Jordan or Payton, because they were so physically dominant. I also believe this is all going to change b/c there are some unbelieveable athletes in football and basketball right now.

• 2 years later...
(edited)
Gretzky. No one will TOUCH ANY of his records.

Winnar.

+1

Unless Crosby has some tricks up his sleeve. He is very young after all... But Gretzky just had that extra finesse and was about building up his team (much like Jordan) - though I'd say it's more harmful to your body to play hockey than bball.

Edited by DarkArchon

Lance Armstrong I'd say is the greatest athlete ever for all of his tour de france wins after recovering from cancer. IDK to me he is probably one of the most inspiring people, not too mention in a sport not just in the USA.