Games we want made

Crowbar

I really wish I had $34k to pay for education in game design/programming. But, I don't right now. However, I think an awful lot (especially at work) about what games I would make if I could. Tonight I thought, why not share my ideas on the Mmmm forums, and hear what others ideas for cool games are. So here's the official "games I wish someone would make" thread. Lets hear some ideas.

richard Tracy. Pretty cool movie, I bet it would make a great game. I'm thinking Grand Theft Auto style world, realistic looking world, yet a touch of cartoonishness. You'd have your various villans running different gangs, and then the police, backing you up. You, being detective richard Tracy. You'd be able to go into the buildings, unlike in GTA, the era would be the 40s-50s, not sure exactly when it was. Swingin soundtrack, awsome cars, and LOTS of Tommy guns.

The plot from the movie would make a good game by itself, we could add on to it though. If you haven't seen the movie, here's a quick synopsis. Big Boy is the newest gangster in town, he's made plans to unite all the waring gangs under him, and bring the fight to the cops. Tracy is thinking of settling down with his long time girlfriend. Being the city's best detective, he's gangster target #1, naturally. From there you build scenarios.

Multiplayer (games aren't worth buying without multiplayer, in my opinion) would be great. A server hosts one of several maps (each map being a different city) and players can join different sides. There would be the police, and then two or three rival gangs. Players spawn in the team's hidout (a club, or warehouse, or police station) and choose a weapon, get some transportation, and then hit the town. Lots of NPCs to rob/kill, maybe even talk to some of them, and fierce battles for control of certain parts of the city. That might be a good option, teams could win a map by controlling a percentage of the city. But with the size of the maps, it might take hours. There would, of course, be the option of just a free-for-all roam around and kill everything that moves play, or perhaps a few staged missions, where each gang has a set mission to perform.

Basically, I just like the era of the Tommy gun, and the gun itself. This seemed like a good story to incorporate that.

lol, the forums changed his name to richard :lol:

Cyber Ball

anyone remember that game it was huge here back in HS.It had 2 screens and upto 4 players.it was the first arcade game i ever saw that had tournys for prizes and it lasted in the arcade like 4 or 5 yrs

It was a football game with robots and you could buy upgrades like titanium and as your guy got hit it would smoke or if you went for it on there 4th down or critacal as they called it and didnt make it your guy would blow up

Edited by Kurtz

I always thought a MMRPG that was based on real world power struggles would be great. Its probably not doable but have that with a real economics system and it would be awesome.

I guess Im thinking Medieval with HUGE battles that would have to be organized. Then you have people just bargaining and making money. But kingdoms would be based on money. You would have to levy a tax and have a system of government that a person could advance in. The leader would be a player who has risen to power either through military means or through wealth. I guess you could have NPC as farmers and such.

And the "monsters" would be interactive. Instead of just running around killing things with other people... if someone were to take the time and "woo" an animal/monster they would become theirs to command. The process would have to be involved because once you had a beast you would command much more money for your services.

And then there are dragons that you could do the same thing with. I just think it would be awesome to kinda bring the feel of... dang... who writes those dragon books? Anyway once a dragon was your you could fly around on it, etc.

This is all just pipe dream stuff. The level of participation and involvement for such a thing would be too much. And besides... I cant stand MMRPGs.

cool idea Rev, kinda like that Nationstates game some of us played a while back, but in a fully rendered, playable world.

don't know that game Kurtz. there's a mod for UT2003 called Deathball, probably the most high-energy game I've ever played. Worth buyin UT2003 just for that mod. It's got a lot of new stuff since I played it, but basically it's uber-football/soccer. You have a ball, field's set up like soccer, but you pass the ball up/down field like football. It's one hell of an adrenaline rush!

Here's another idea I've been working out for awhile:

A MMORPG that ends. Based heavily on the Highlander movie series. It would actually be a not-so-massivly multiplayer. Create your character and journey into an enormous world filled with unique npcs. In addition to all those npcs living in many cities on various continents, you have a limited number of human players. Say, 200 per server. Those 200 journey around gaining experiance, finding loot, fighting some monsters, playing your normal rpg. UNTIL, they run into another human player. Then they have the option of fighting to the death, or perhaps making friends and travelling together.

The object of the game is to be the last human player left. Naturally many players would ally themselves in pairs or even small groups for protection, but in the end, there can be only one. Killing another human player gives you some extra boost in some way, sweet new loot, or stat boost, maybe magical powers.

Once killed, you cannot rejoin the game until it ends, and a new one starts. However, to keep interest, there would also be servers running a free for all server that can handle huge numbers of players, and doesn't ever end. Players could die, and respawn there like a normal MMORPG, to pass the time while they wait for the tournament servers to restart.

A cool way to tell who's a human and who's a npc would be to make the human players, the competitors, these behemoths fully twice as large as the npcs. Like Titans come down to earth to play.

The world would be unique in MMORPGs, not a fantasy world, but a world closely resembling our own, complete with cities. Maybe even have multiple eras. Some servers running a midevil world, some running a 18th century world, some in modern times. Players could even ally themselves with npc factions and participate in historic events, such as being a sergeant in the Roman Legion, or joining the Native American's to "welcome" Columbus, choosing a side in the Civil War. And, in the thick of battle, perhaps you'll spot another Titan across the field. Imagine the thrill of you and him crossing the battlefield in slow motion, cutting a path through the little soldiers without a second thought, until it's just you and him, face to face, surrounded by battling peons. Only one of you will leave this battlefield.

you need to make a game based on the life and times of christopher reeve. Try to press L1+R1+select+ down, down, up, up, start, left, right, down, start and L1+R1 when the horse jumps the fence, maybe it'll springboard reeve off the saddle and he will fly like superman. just a thought, maybe you can save reeve.

thats the name of the game

Save Reeve!

$34k??!?!/1?1?1

I got a degree in programming/designing video games from DigiPen. Cost me just under $50k. I now work at a title company doing something that has absolutely nothing to do with my degree whatsoever. Tuition at DP was about $12k/year they recently raised it its now about 13.5k/year I think. School is great just a ton of work.

Well, Full Sail is up to $36k or $38k now, I think. Yeah, just that for one year, and it's only a 12 month course. They've got a new program running down there now for the Game Design majors. For their final project, they have to create a game, (supposed to be "sellable") and now they expanded the program to include the alumni from the audio and animation courses. The programming students can enlist the help of the alumni (who get intern credit for helping) to add sound and 3D animation to the games. Imagine bein in school and having a professional sound crew and an animation crew trained in Maya working on your game! :wub: I really want to go, but I've got a wife to provide for at the moment. I haven't taken a look at what kind of loans/grants I can get though...so I really don't know if it's possible.

wow crowbar, the highlander idea sounded awesome! cept the size, but other than that, that sounds like something that would hold my attention for a good long time!

and about that school, sounds interesting to me! i have no idea what i want to major in for college...being 16 and liking computer games, that sounds good :unsure::)

I think I speak for the entire planet when I say that the best RPG ever made was the original Chrono Trigger for SNES. An awsome game would be an MMORPG based off'a Chrono Trigger. You would have all of those different eras in time to play around in, and you could do like multi-era things like if someone in 12mil BC hides an object in a cave, someone in 1000 AD could come along and snatch it up. Powering items up in the sun temple once you're able to travel time considering an Epoch would be big bucks and such. Instead of getting different components in an endless struggle to get an endless amount of equipment, have it be based off'a old-school rpgs. You chose your dag on class, and there were weapons that only that class used, and that class couldn't use any other weapons. Then give special unique equipment out when an admin runs a quest. I think it would be great. Straight up old school-type rpg stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

had another idea last night, a game similar to America's Army, in that it's a multiplayer army fps/simulation.

however...

it's massivly multiplayer online, yet in a unique sort of way. when you first start, you go to training, manditory. after completing training, you are deployed to a combat theatre. There's a world war going on, and you're part of it. There are four major powers at war, as well as various smaller organizations doing what they can to create mayhem and terror. You, as a soldier, have the option of joining one of the four major countries/alliances armies. Once a side is picked and you've gone through training and been deployed to your theatre (you have no choice in where you go, you're just a simple soldier), you follow missions and fight the good fight until new orders come down the pipe, deploying you to new theatres, based on where the world war is being fought, and which side is winning.

if you want a good MMORPG game that requires no monthly fee, check this out:

http://eng.pristontale.com/

right now, i'm addicted to CoD, priston tale, and System Shock 2 (playing co-op with my brother...)..

Pristontale so far to my experience, you just run around killing enemies, joining parties and stuff, but theres alot more than that that I still need to uncover once I reach level 20...

come on, am I the only one here who has a creative mind? the point of this topic is to get you all to think. what do you like and not like about the games you play, and how can you improve them? give me some thought out ideas. not these one line "i want a game that does this." think about the different aspects of games, single player plot, multiplayer game types, content, the game's future, etc.

Here's my dream: to gather a group of programmers, modellers/animators, sound guys and others, and make professional quality, truely fun games, to have availible for free on the internet. to have a company based on a website, and the labor for creating the games would be done by a few core people, with volunteers helping out as much as they want to or can. not just anyone could join in creating the games, they would have to submit work just like they were applying to join a company. I want the games to be as good or better than something made by EA, Valve, ID, Microsoft and others. And the games would have to be incredibly fun. I want to make a game with the magic of Counterstrike. No company has yet released a game with the addictive quality of CS. Think back, has any other single game had the lifespan of CS? Six years it has been running, for over three of those years, it has been king of the internet gaming community! A six year old game that consistently entertains 100,000 plus players at every time of day, every day.

It's a six year old game, though. Its time for something to step up and take its place. Yet no developer has been able to offer a competitor. BF1942 could have taken the market from CS, but it hasn't. Call of Duty seems to be picking up steam quickly, but due to very mixed reviews and being too much like other games (i.e. Medal of Honor), I don't think it will go beyond expectations. The Massivly Multiplayer Online genre should have ushered in a new era of gaming, and rendered every other game obsolete, but it stalled and nose-dived too soon.

I want to fill the shoes left by Counterstrike. I want to release a game that 100,000 unique people of all ages play every day. I want a game that causes those people to pack up their computers and drive across four states to spend a weekend doing with 50 others what they could do at home by themselves. I want to create it, and then give it away to anyone with an internet connection.

• 4 weeks later...

another idea: Anyone remember Wolfenstien 3D? A rip-off of that game, in multiplayer. Running around as semi-cartoonish characters with weapons like the chaingun or uzi, in maps that look like something out of the Windows "Maze" screen saver, complete with secret passageways, of course. N64 did it, they called it 007. :P