found a ferret

Trouble .gc

watch and i were getting out of our car tonight, and saw a ferret run under the steps. it came to him when he called it...so now we have a ferret in our house in a laundry basket in our office :unsure:

it was very friendly and very cold...so we have 2 options as we see it. 1) keep it, or 2) take it to the pet store tomorrow morning. any thoughts?

yeah dude i know watcha mean... i used to have a hamster and that thing STANK!!!

My advice would be to take it to a pet shop, or put out an add or something saying that you've found a lost ferret... cuz if it came to you by calling it then it must have been trained some how...

But then again... I don't know much about little furry animals

if it hasnt had its scent glands taken out

that room is gonna start stinkin like no tomorrow

you might wanna put it the garage with a warm blanket

what id do is prolly put signs up like "ferret found" and ur p#

and when someone comes calling

just have them tell you some features like color and personality

but just make sure there is some sort of reward

if not, hold it ransom. :o

i think they r cool and funny....my friend has one and it steals socks and hides them but heres teh funny thing...she sortes them by color and can match them up too......kinda funny if u ask me.....hers doesnt smell at all.....i want one though.

I had one, one of the best pets I have ever owned, Never stunk unless I didnt clean the cage or let it go fo too long. If your not a very responsible person then definatly try to find the owner or bring it to a pet shop, but they are great little companions and really sweet pets.

I am in total agreement with Ghost on this one. I have owned and bred ferrets and they definitely liven up things and bring happiness to their owners.

Even with their glands taken out they still have a scent that can build up without proper care. You should still bathe them twice a week. If it hasn't been de-scented you can have a vet do it for you for a reasonable price. If you have the money to have it de-scented (or if it has already been) I would suggest keeping it. They are really a joy to own.

They are playful with all animals, and they are really funny to watch play around. They make a really cool sound when they get excited. They are however thieves, they like to take things and hide them. The good news is, once you find their hiding spot you can normally check this spot on a regular basis and find whatever is missing. They can fit into really tight, small spaces. I mean REALLY tight. You would be surprised at how small of a hole they can get into.

And there is no better form of rodent control than a ferret, vermin don't even want to come around when they know one is there.

But if you choose the route of keeping it, I would definitly post something about a missing ferret around. These things don't just appear out of no where, so chances are it was either abandoned or got loose by it's ability to get through tight spaces, I would venture to say the latter since they can be a pretty good chunk of money to get one.

GL in whatever you do, and if you have nay questions about them feel free to ask. You may want to get book on ferrets as well.

i had a roomate that had a ferret and wow what a stupid pet, yea it was cool at first but then it developed a taste for beer, anytime someone opened a beer the ferret would run over and knock in over and lick the carpet where it spiled, well that feret just had to go, i suggest droping it of at a local petshop, thell take it off your hands.

if it hasnt had its scent glands taken out

that room is gonna start stinkin like no tomorrow

you might wanna put it the garage with a warm blanket

what id do is prolly put signs up like "ferret found" and ur p#

and when someone comes calling

just have them tell you some features like color and personality

but just make sure there is some sort of reward

if not, hold it ransom. :o

even with the glands removed ferrets are still very smelly.

i would keep it and name it Mr. Bojangles but thats just me.

Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guests

ill get rid of your problem guys...sheesh...anyone got a gun and/or a plastic garbage bag????

I had a ferret and they are awesome. I bathed it once a week to keep the odor down so it didn't get out of hand. Someone mentioned a cage, my ferret ran wild in the house. One morning i was leaving to school and had packed my bag for the soccer game the night before so I just grabbed it and left. Then when i get to my soccer game I only have one cleat. When I get home I look everywhere and the ferret had drug my cleat up into the recliner. Anyways, keep it if your an animal lover and will spend time with it otherwise take it to the pet store. I bet someone nearby had lost it so post signs and keep it a week or so.

Lamb

did you have the dog before you got the ferret? my dog does this twitch thing with her teeth...ya...i think we are going to hold onto it. it really is a sweet animal...so lovey...likes to have its tummy rubbed...i'm cleaning out the office tonight so it can run rampant in here..have to give the rest of the house to the dog....but so far all its really done is sleep...i think it may have been outside in to cold too long or something, and it still traumatized. after we got it in the house, i went around teh complex looking for people who may have been looking for it...and the neighbors said that they had seen the ferret run under the stairs like 30 min before we got home and noone was looking for it then either.

we got it some food and it ate it, and has been drinking alot of water so...i think its ok...but will be taking it to the vet soon...thanks for all your imput guys. i'll try to post up some pix later :wub:

oh ps. is there anyway to tell the difference between the male and female. this one looks like it has had the operation. and it has a belly button lookin thing :)