Swoop...could this be real?

Playaa

I know i'm not Swoop but i just had a discussion with my boss who's pretty well versed on various trades.

I'll just use some of his words, he is not quite sure but he puts together a good two sided argument.

"watching that cross bar cleanly evaporate doesn't seem likely, there would have been a messier explosiion, but I could be wrong."

"no wait, those aren't evaporating, it is a bar switch rotating back smoothly..mechanics look real, but I still can't see an image that slow and well resolved with no interference for a spark that big and long"

"I see green color copper? at each end of the base of the spark..pink from nitrogen excitation as the electricity ionizes the atmosphere..but photoshop could also do this effect."

This one is my favorite:

"the fact that you can see so much structure for so long is what makes me suspicious, the ionization pathway should be more like lightenining, more jagged, too fast for film or video to resolve into that level of detail..also I don't see any corona coloration effects as (kind of like a jacob's ladder) as the arch rises ohms law dictates resistance is reising and temperature should increase and light frequencies should show according color shifts"

It could very well be possible

First of all it's a power line which means it's carrying hight voltage (high tension wire) second to make an electrical arc like that you need a lot of power to overcome the air resistance. High tension wire has a lot of power. Think of it as a huge example of static electricity (even though it's not static electricity) it works on the same principle. Electrons getting transmitted through the air from one thing to another. Pretty cool

It appears there are 3 sets of things opening...why only the one spark. The spark seems much brighter and crisper than the rest of the scene.

Seems fake but I've really no clue...it's just a guess.

from the forum I found it in the first place:

tthats real, what is happening is an extreme, but real and potentially dangerous nonetheless. What they are doing is blocking out that station, if you look closely, you can see the bars spread apart...the electricity that was in them continues to jump across......probably due to weather conditions being just right.

I have seen that several times before, never that big, but 4-5 feet. We paint those stations for several customers. Part of the process is to "Block out a bank/transformer etc", .

Oh, by the way, as part of our pre-job meeting and trainng, we have the crew witness key areas. The opening of the circuit which this video shows, usually hits home instantly when they see a lightning bolt about 3-4 inches in diameter jump across 5'.....the noise is whats really strange....stuff is loud.

CKY...I didn't know you wanted it...like I said unless you make it VERY worth my while...I'd rather have a huge 21" monitor than a 17" CRT or 15" flat panel.

My dad works with this kinda stuff in real life. He being a mechanical engineer is very knowledgeable in this field and he always point out electrictal sub stations and the such whenever we would drive by one so I'll ask him later and give you guys his answer.

(edited)

Playaa, it is real. I have witnessed and operated switches like that in a substation before. I have seen arcs drawn like that before, it is wicked. And even though you can hear it through the clip. The sound doesn't compare to what it is like in person.

Xterm, what you are talking about is induction. What this clip here is doing is just dropping load. The more load dropped, the bigger the arc and most generally the longer it takes for it to be extinguished by whichever loadbreak device is being used.

What you won't want to see (or maybe you would) is a video when a loadbreak device doesn't work. The electric demand is so big (on transmission lines) that the amount of separation between the blades is not enough, so it just keeps on arcing, then a ball a fire, and it just keeps on hitting until something gives. Normally the wire just burns down. One of my leadmen was talking to me about this today as we were doing some switching and he was going over certain areas you want to inspect before operating the switches. Basically he said if the load break device fails, get outta there fast.

Edited by SwOOp

my dad says: I'm in the power industry, but I've never seen an arc jump like that. Notice the 2 guys in the bottom left corner of the video say "wow!". The clip looks real to me and the other writer had a good explanation of why it happened.

(edited)

Yo, I don't mean this in any disrespect at all, but engineers, know jack about what goes on in the field. It's the same in every power company, the engineers draw up the job on paper, and the lineman are the ones that blister their knuckles. That's ok and all, because that's what we get paid to do. But most engineers don't experience any of this stuff in the field, all they know is their computers, their prints, and their standards. What does make us mad, in our area and other power companies I know of as well, is an engineer not even going to look at a job and writing it up the way they think it can work out, or worse they look at the job and still right it up wrong. So we have to makeup for their mistakes, whether it be getting the right materials cause the wrong ones were ordered, or totally changing the work orders so that everything will workout. If you screw up in the engineering field you figure some prints wrong, or mess up on the proper fuse coordination. When you screw up out on the field, you get burnt, lose appendages, or worse.

Edited by SwOOp