Should I buy it?

Playaa

Yeah, buy it. BF1942 has some good mods out with more on the way. By itself it's fun WWII action, Desert Combat gets you your fix of modern warfare, infantry doesn't amount to much except on a few city maps. Eve of Destruction will get your ground pounding in though. Awsome Vietnam war mod, Hueys, jeeps, and jungles. There's a Star Wars mod coming out, a GTA inspired mod, and countless others. We'll be playing it for awhile.

Been playin BF for a long time, the Mods are what made the game take off. At first DC would just use BF maps, but when it started doing it own maps it took off. Personally I like the infantry maps like Basrahs edge, basrahs nights, lost village etc.....

(edited)
well...if I can find it for $20 to $25...I probably will buy it...but I can't right now so oh well.

Just so you know Playaa, my old computer is pretty much the same as yours (1.4 GHz, 9700 Pro right?) but I had to run Desert Combat on practically the lowest possible graphics settings just to get it to run smoothly. Dunno if you care about that, it's still fun.

Edited by Hitman

Desert Combat mod is fully worth getting BF1942 if for no other reason than to master flying the helicopters. I admit that I'm a helo-h0re. I'm not expert at it, but I can hold my own in battle. I find the helo dynamics a perfect balance between realism/fun/accessibility.

If you're in need of practice do it offline, start a local server and go to El Alamein, Lost village, or Gazala and fly around for an hour.

And if you can get a real expert pilot in the driver's seat it is absolute bliss to sit in the front seat as gunner on a Hind or Apache.

Speaking of, the same goes for an AC130. There are a few really great pilots out there and when you find one you can really pwn an enemy with this bad boy. You know the AC130_gunship video? It really is just like the video!

wait...I can get road to rome and play online with you guys? cause RTR is the cheapest I've seen so far...

and Hitman that's odd...my computer has run every game I've ever thrown at it in the highest settings my monitor allows (1280 res) without a hitch...do you have 512mb DDR Ram?

(edited)

Had 512 MB SDRam in that PC. I've been able to run any game just fine on it except DC (and maybe BF42, never played it much).

However this game is pretty on full graphics... don't have that old computer anymore.

Edited by Hitman

maybe the SD vs DDR really does make that much of a difference?

Could be, no idea here.

Homer,Mar 2 2004, 12:54 PM]RTR is a add-on to BF1942 isn't it? (As in not a stand-alone.) I think you will need the base BF1942.

Yeah, it's an expansion.