Driving Question

Playaa

What do you do? (read the first post)  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is just something I was wondering about.

So here's the question:

You're driving down the road. You're on the highway and the speed limit is 70 miles per hour. The highway is 2 lanes. You have your cruise control on 75 miles per hour and are in the left lane ("the passing lane" in case you live somewhere that people don't drive on the proper side of the road). To your right is a gap of 3 car lengths between the car you just passed and the car you are currently passing. The car you are currently passing is going approximately 72 miles per hour. Ahead of that car is 1 more car and then a 10 car length gap. There are no cars directly in front of you. Directly behind you are 2 cars, both of which are tailing you at an unsafe distance. What do you do and why?

These type of situations always remind me of something I was told about my grandfather who passed away before I was born. I was told he would let them pass, muttering "drive on idiots, hell's only half full". I'm reminded of that statement a lot when driving....

Simple enough. Pull over, let them drive by, get back over in left lane and follow at about 300-400 yards away (distance may vary depending on road topography. Basically, just keep them in site) and let them be the PoPo lookouts.

My philosophy is if you're in the left lane you don't have cruise control on. There is nothing more infuriating than to be in a line of cars passing in the left lane and some vehicle in the right lane moves to the left lane and someone at the head of the left lane takes about 3 miles to pass one or two slow cars.

If you're in the left lane at the head of the snake you'd better be leading or passing with your foot on the gas like you mean it. :D (Within reasonable driving of course.)

(edited)

I chose #1... and instead of reiterateing above, suffice to say i agree 100% with Homer.

If you ain't passing then what the heck you doing in the passing lane. And No, passing a car @ 75 when the car you're passing is going 72 is not considered passing in my book.

Xterminator: If you happen to see a Black 95 Toyota camry in your rear window about 10 feet off your tail with a a filipino with long hair driving and a white guy with a beard on you r way to fragfest....

speed up or move over :boing:

:bang: <-- me when I'm stuck behind slow drivers in the left lane

***EDIT*** I think in IL they passed a law that took effect this year that states you can actually be pulled over and ticketed if you're 'obstructing traffic' in the passing lane.

Edited by LongHair

Hey, I was the only "other" so far!

It depends on the mood I'm in and the specifics:

If I see them coming before they get up on me, I'll make way or speed up to get on by and not lose my momentum.

If I am obviously already in passing mode and speeding, yet my speeding is not enough for their speeding and they wanna send me some signals without giving me a chance, then they'll get the slow motion game.

I really get upset when my family is in the car and someone pulls hard guy on my tail....again, depends on the mood...sometimes I pull over so that I'm safe with nutball in front of me...or sometimes I try to send them over the edge by driving 10 miles/hr under the speed limit.

Heck, I don't even mind people flashing their lights at me...to me, this is courtesy...the message is: I'm cruising and here I come....please let me by. The tailgater is just plain rude and receives zero cooperation from me most of the time.

Btw, after reading over some more, remember we're not talking about "slow" drivers, and you, in this scenario, are already making a pass. Don't convert this to the grandma doing -5 of limit in the left lane.

When it comes down to it, the speeder just has to deal, whether it's me or you.

At an amusement park, just cause you really want to ride a ride before someone else, should they all move so you can cut (which is against the rules)?

Again, and I'm ramblin and spamming.....but speeders come in a few types...."safe" or "courteous" speeders, wreckless speeders, and rude speeders. I let type A on by with no problem.

break check!

*brake*...and dont EVER do that.

Hit the gas or move over.

See above...don't tailgate and you don't have to worry about brake checks.

Actually Fat, I am one of the "courteous" speeders. I always keep a safe distance, even if someone is hacking me off in the passing lane. In the exact scenerio that was described above, I think the guy in the fast lane should hit the gas or move over. Its what I would do.

My reason for saying NEVER do THAT is because, often the person tailgating might have a different idea of reality or even a legitemate emergency...why risk infuriating someone by playing games with your 3000lb hunk of metal at 70+MPH?

Try this link and you will see what I mean:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-...+tapping+brakes

Tapping brakes to teach a lesson is a terrible idea. Even for a big fella like you Fatty, you never know when some crazed idiot will pull a pistol out because he has lost touch with reality.

I'll flash my lights at someone before I tailgate. I'll also pass on the right before I tailgate.

I don't break check as in slam on the breaks....I'll break slowly and drop 10 MPH...I never look to make someone else lock em up...that came across wrong...my break checks are slow and torturous.

I'd try to get in that three-car slot, but at 70 MPH that's not exactly a safe distance between those cars, either....but at least the tailgaters can pass. I might consider speeding up to pass, then slowing back down after the next two cars. Also depends on the weather. 70 MPH is a little too fast to be playing games, stuff happens in eye blinks. Of course, I've had to scrape a few people off of the road from high-speed collisions, so I'm a bit biased...

I believe in Texas. You aren't supposed to cruise in the left lane (passing lane). Technically, that lane is for just that passing.

Also, there are signs posted everywhere stating "Slower traffic keep right". So, this would put you in the slower vehicle category, according to your story above. Which necessitates you moving over to the right lane.