Half Life 2?

General J

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Seems like it is up to Vivendi to unlock HL2 now.

Half-Life 2 For Sale?

November 13, 2004, 4:57 pm

If you have purchased a copy of Half-Life 2, we are sorry you are still waiting to play. This is not Valve's choice. Vivendi is insisting that the game has not yet been released, and has threatened that Valve would be in violation of its contract if we activate the Half-Life 2 Steam authentication servers at this time.

Thanks for your patience and we will update you when we have more news to share.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/34497

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Steam is being hammered right now. I am wondering if this is going to happen tonight. Some major activity. Their forums are down as are their status page.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

we are speaking of the game being unlocked and playable. I imagine if it happens tonight, i will be up for a while.

HL2 is available to buy!!!!!!

I just bought my copy yesterday (13th) at Best Buy for $54.99.

It comes in a little box with 1 of 3 art works and includes 5 CDs, a Quick Reference Card, and an ATI $20 USD Mail-in-Rebate.

Im going to install it now and see if its playable yet.

Edited by YoMamma

I still don't understand how they can make retail buyers wait for an unlock that will happen through steam. What if you buy this game and do not have an internet connection? Can you just not ever unlock the game? Is there a file with a countdown to the 16th? (Like the files in the 30-day trial demo's)

I guess I don't see how they could make it so only people with an internet connection will be able to play. This really concerns me, especially since it is a $55 game, and I have no internet connection at the moment. If there is no way to unlock it without going through steam, I am going to be severly steamed.

Wow thats nutz!! How many more copys are they gonna sell cause no-one can play even the singleplayer without going through Steam, i bet it outnumbers the people with no internet to unlock it with..

I would have to say that they are really taking a stand against hackers.

:boo: So will it be a one time unlock? Or will you have to log on to steam just to play the game?

If it is a one time thing, ok. I will haul my computer over here to my parent's house and just unlock it. But if I have to get on steam just to play a freaking single player game everytime, there is no way. I will wait it out until the price is at like $30 and I actually have my dsl connected.

I believe you can use any computer to unlock it.

What if people who bought the game early, saw they couldnt play it and then returned it?

This whole early sale deal is probably gonna hurt them more than help.

Also, anybody whos got a good enough computer to play this game most likely has an internet connexion.

Edited by spiralstairs

I believe you can use any computer to unlock it. 

What if people who bought the game early, saw they couldnt play it and then returned it?

This whole early sale deal is probably gonna hurt them more than help.

Also, anybody whos got a good enough computer to play this game most likely has an internet connexion.

I guess you more or less hit the nail on the head with that one. I have more than enough power to run the game, but I recently moved into an apartment, so I do not have DSL or a local phone line yet for that matter. Or in Goot's case, where hi-speed internet is not available. I guess, for now, I may have to settle for a dial up connection, as I have been waiting for this game since I first saw the opening to HL. Can't wait to see the cinematic intro we get here though. May well be worth the $50.

It is a one time unlock. You do not have to connect to play every time.

Not sure about being able to unlock on another computer then playing it on 'your' unconnected server. That would require the 'connected' computer to create a file that could be transported to the 'unconnected' computer to let it know that the game is 'unlocked'

way to many quotation marks in that sentence.

Lemme know how it works out for ya J. If I was you, I might just unlock it at a parent's/friend's and then play the single player a couple times through whilst I waited for DSL. Of course, thats because I get really impatient with a crappy connection and dying alot. :( GL buddy.

I am ordering up my wireless ISP today:

http://www.bluewireless.net/res_single.html

Im pretty scared that it is gonna suck. Anyhow, I will be getting HL2 soon as well :)

DSL is available where I live, I just don't know if we have the budget laid out for it yet. I like to know how my account is going to look each month, so there aren't any suprises! :blink: I would haul my computer back to my parents house just to unlock. It's the talking the woman into letting me splurge on it part that I still have to do! :rolleyes:

HEY WAIT! She got the psychotic kitten without me knowing, and she is at work till 9 tonight.... :unsure:;)