help me solve this riddle

Mad Bean

I was given this riddle, but can't seem to figure it out. I just wanted to see if anybody else could help.

Grandpa's Age

"My grandson is about as many days as my son is weeks, and my grandson is as many months as I am in years. My grandson, son and I together are 120 years. Can you tell me my age in years?"

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the answer, although the formula is eluding me. :blink:

Maybe:

x + 12/x + 84/x = 120

84x + 7x + x = 120

92x = 120

x= .7666666

But those don't work to get the real answer.

Grandson = X

Son = Y

GrandFather = Z

You need to be consistant in your units, so the easiest to me seemed to be years:

Set everything to years.

Grandson(X)days = Son(Y)weeks

365days/yr(X) = 52 weeks/yr(Y)

-> 365X = 52Y

solve for Y=365/52 X ~ Y = 7X(eq. 1)

Grandson(X) months = GrandFather(Z) years

12 months/yr(X) = (Z) years

->12X = Z(eq. 2)

Already solved for Z

Grandson(X) + Son(Y) + GrandFather(Z) = 120 years

(eq. 3)X + Y + Z = 120

Plug the first two equations(eq. 1&2) solved for Y and Z respectively into the last equation(eq. 3):

X + 7X + 12X = 120

20x = 120

X = 6

Plugging X into eq. 1 you have:

Y = 7(6)

Y = 42

Plugging X into eq. 2 you have:

Z = 12(6)

Z = 72

So the grandson is 6, the son is 42, and the grandfather is 72.

***edit*** Expanded for clarity. Yes, I'm an Enginerd

Here are some of my favourite riddles

1. How many letters are in the alphabet?

2. In the NBA, how many men are on the basketball court for each team.

3. If you were running a race, and you passed the person in 2nd place, what place would you be in now?

4. FOUR is HALF of FIVE.

Is this statement True or False? explain your answer

5.Can you name three consecutive days without using the words Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday?

6. This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it? It looks so plain you would think nothing was wrong with it! In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out! Try to do so without any coaching!

7. 2 mothes and 2 daugheters are on a picnic. They have 6 apples which they split evenly. None of the apples were cut, how is this possible?

8. If you cross out all unnecessary letters in the following string of letters, a logical sentence will remain. Can you see it?

AALLLOUGNINCEACELSSSEANRYTELNETCTEERS

9. Which state is surrounded by the most water?

10. I am part of a rock group with four members. All of us are dead, one of us was assasinated, who are we?

1. How many letters are in the alphabet? 8

2. In the NBA, how many men are on the basketball court for each team. 5

3. If you were running a race, and you passed the person in 2nd place, what place would you be in now? 2nd

4. FOUR is HALF of FIVE.

Is this statement True or False? explain your answer TRUE - Roman Numerals

5.Can you name three consecutive days without using the words Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, or Sunday? Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow

6. This is an unusual paragraph. I'm curious how quickly you can find out what is so unusual about it? It looks so plain you would think nothing was wrong with it! In fact, nothing is wrong with it! It is unusual though. Study it, and think about it, but you still may not find anything odd. But if you work at it a bit, you might find out! Try to do so without any coaching! No Clue here.

7. 2 mothes and 2 daugheters are on a picnic. They have 6 apples which they split evenly. None of the apples were cut, how is this possible? 2 each - Grandman, Daughter, Grandaughter

8. If you cross out all unnecessary letters in the following string of letters, a logical sentence will remain. Can you see it?

A LOGICAL SENTENCE

9. Which state is surrounded by the most water? Hawaii

10. I am part of a rock group with four members. All of us are dead, one of us was assasinated, who are we?

No Clue here, never seen this one before. I would guess it is Mount Rushmore.