Mature Language - My limited thought process and

Guest Wem

Guest Wem
Guest Wem
Guest Wem
Guests

I find it interesting that mature language is not allowed on your server, despite the fact that the game is rated mature.

Without going into why not allowing mature language is completely pointless and actually stupid, let me make a suggestion on how you guys can run your server.

Clearly whatever server side mod you have running can filter out "bad" words. Let me first ask you, when I say "rush the god**** garage" is there a) anyone who is unable to figure out that the word damn is filtered? has this mod saved anyone from being exposed to the word? B) is there even anyone who is offended by such as statement?

At that point I was given a warning to watch my language. Now, obviously it's quite possible for me to completely insult or offend someone without being profane. Is that allowed? I think you guys have your objectives mixed up.

I had a particularly frustrating death and I typed "truck that". Kicked from the server.

Is that necessary? Back to what I was saying, the mod has the ability to filter out profanity. So why not have it simply reject any say commands that contain filtered words? If someone tries to type "truck you", it won't show up. Or, it will be completely replaced with something like "I need to watch my language".

I have to come to the conclusion that you want to tinkle people off. You want to ruin their game experience because they choose certain nouns and verbs that your narrow minds take offense to.

Is there really a single person in the world who takes offense to me saying "truck that" when I get handed a bullpoop death? I don't think so. Maybe if some idiot is calling someone else a "trucking rag" or something like that, I can see not wanting that - I don't want to see that either. But their just going to find another way to insult someone without using profanity, and we are going to arrive at the same thing.

And please don't give me the argument that your kids play this game, this game is rated mature, so they really shouldn't be playing it, or depriving me, and the majority of other people, of their self expression.

I don't mean to be too harsh but I just don't get why someone would set a server up this way. I know I'm going to be back on your server sometime in the future. If I remember that Gamerscoalition means I'm going to have to be conscious of what I'm typing, I'm not going to join. But I might forget. (I think this is the second time I've been booted from your server for this reason)

Similar topics have shown up here many times, and will continue to do so, bottom line : Our server, our rules. We as members PAY for these servers and choose to do so because we like the way it is, and pubbers are always welcome provided you follow our rules.

We dont run a ghetto, we can all get together to play a game and have fun without all the trash talk. Trash talk leads to personal insults and so on, so nip it in the bud is what we do. You will also find far less cheaters and hackers, the strict rules help keep out the trash.

Are you starting to see the point yet?

Any further argument on this topic is just waste of your time as we are not changing any rules pertaining to this topic.

Thanks.

If you don't get it, you'll never be happy here. We have an awful lot of people very satisfied with our standards that actually make very good sense.

If you dodge the filter in the forums again, you'll be removed from here as well. If you care not, just save us some time and let us know. I deleted your second post.

Without going into why not allowing mature language is completely pointless and actually stupid, let me make a suggestion on how you guys can run your server.

Point taken, thanks. Point left, thanks again. Did we strike you as a some fly-by-night group wearing a "Born to Lose" tatoo sitting in an empty server?

I'll stop now. Playaa, I need the mystic cream, although my post just might be enough to do the job on its own.

wem,

fatty's right

give the server a try for a few days

i had a very similar post when i first played on these servers

then i came to my senses, and never play anywhere else

great bunch of guys that play here & great environment

give it a try...

:)

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I recommend you look at your Half-Life 2 box and notice what the M rating is for. You will see nothing about language on the box. The "M" rating is for violence. Everytime I see this type of topic or hear someone use the "M" rating as an excuse to talk like potty mouthed sailor, I laugh.

Oh, btw, your suggestion about just removing the entire line or message: was possible in AMX before source. At this point, admin is still new for Source...that's the best solution, just not show it.

We also would have it slap you around and take your money, which really gets people fired up!!! And that turns into fun sometimes...you know, part of our evil plan that you almost uncovered above..the thing about setting people up for failure so we can claim responsibility for their frustration. :blink:

Guest Wem
Guest Wem
Guest Wem
Guests

A lot of people replied in a short period of time, and yet nobody bothered to explain why profanity is wrong? Why is it wrong?

The fact is that you people are letting yourselves be insulted by specific words instead of the meaning of what's being said.

If you want to be taken seriously, how about explaining to me why I should be removed from your server for saying "F that" in response to a frustrating death while playing for a frustratingly incompetent team. Who is that honestly offending?

Again, it's not my fault you allow your underaged children to play a game that is NOT INTENDED for kids. If you wanted to subject your kids to a happy, family-values, education-oriented form of entertainment I suggest Sesame Street. You want to shield your children from words they have already heard and know how to use, but letting them play games that endorse violence, killing, and the use of guns is ok? Someone explain the logic in that.

That's why I'm saying the children excuse has absolutely no value. Now, I can respect the fact that you guys want to run a clean server without the kind of people that give the CS community it's bad reputation, but this is simply not the way to do it.

I'd like to stick around, but there's no way I can be a regular on a server knowing how many people are getting tinkled off because of your unfounded hatred for profanity. If everyone simply accepted the english language for what it is, we would have no such thing as profanity. It's the meaning that counts, not the words. If you want to prevent me from using one word, I will simply find a synonom to take it's place.

Guest Wem
Guest Wem
Guest Wem
Guests

I'd like to analyze clueless' signature as an example.

Pubber: "WT* I can't buy sh**, I have 5K, d*mn bugs"

Console: "Read the MOTD, go back to school"

<kicked by console>

Pubber: "why was I kicked?, your server bugged and would'nt let me buy stuff"

Console: "swearing, and to read the MOTD again"

Pubber: "dude....were not little kids"

Console: "hey bud, did you just blow in from stupid town?"

The pubber here could very well be a friendly, nice individual who would make a good contribution to the server. He's not bothering anybody, and is expressing his frustration. The admin insults him and boots him from the server. The pubber joins and is again insulted by the admin.

If we pick different words to replace what the pubber is saying it looks like this:

Pubber: "Wow I can't buy anything, I have 5K, frustrating bugs!"

Console: "Your slang isn't popular with my group. Goodbye."

<kicked by console>

Pubber: "Why was I kicked?, your server bugged and would'nt let me buy stuff"

Console: "I don't like what words your using."

Pubber: "We're all mature here and should be able to see the harmlessness in what I said."

Console: "I think people who use that kind of slang are stupid."

I hope I am making my point.

If you want to be taken seriously, how about explaining to me why I should be removed from your server for saying "F that" in response to a frustrating death while playing for a frustratingly incompetent team. Who is that honestly offending?

Plain and simple. We pay the bills. We say we don't allow this language. If you use this kind of language we will not allow you to play on our servers.

Again, it's not my fault you allow your underaged children to play a game that is NOT INTENDED for kids. If you wanted to subject your kids to a happy, family-values, education-oriented form of entertainment I suggest Sesame Street. You want to shield your children from words they have already heard and know how to use, but letting them play games that endorse violence, killing, and the use of guns is ok? Someone explain the logic in that.

I'm not sure that this has come up in this thread. However, we enjoy playing the game without having to sit and read or hear via mic what you call "mature language." We feel like the game is much more fun for us without said language. Coming in here and basically telling us we suck at child rearing helps your cause none and actually offends me to be honest. Who are you to come in and tell me how to raise my kids based on the fact that we don't allow bad language in our server.

That's why I'm saying the children excuse has absolutely no value.

Now, I can respect the fact that you guys want to run a clean server without the kind of people that give the CS community it's bad reputation, but this is simply not the way to do it.

I'd like to stick around, but there's no way I can be a regular on a server knowing how many people are getting tinkled off because of your unfounded hatred for profanity. If everyone simply accepted the english language for what it is, we would have no such thing as profanity. It's the meaning that counts, not the words. If you want to prevent me from using one word, I will simply find a synonom to take it's place.

This community has been around for I believe (I haven't been here the WHOLE time) for 6 or 7 years. And with the community, the rules. You are right, you aren't the first one by far reaches to come in here and complain about it. We don't care. We don't care how YOU would run a server. This is how WE run OUR servers that are paid for by people who enjoy playing in this atmosphere. If you want to start your own community based on your premise and pay for that server, you are more than welcome. If you look around close enough, we are at no lack for players here. Check out the server stats, we have over 1000 connections a day if I'm not mistaking. I'd say 18 out of 24 hours a day our servers are full. Are all of these people playing on our 2 servers out of tens of thousands of servers and hating it? If so, I'd say they are the idiots. So, make your suggestions, make your threats to leave, and GO.

I dont understand why you take the time and effort to actually type profanity in chat when you could have just as easily cussed at your monitor and be done with it? Possibly because you WANT others to read your frustrations???

As to asnwer your question as to why profanity in our server is bad...two simple words...positive atmosphere. We always have and always will support and enforce our idea of a positive gamming environment. This includes things as "nice shot", "nice try", "insert cheese saying here =)". And we also define a positive atmosphere is free of the profanity...that is why it is wrong.

We are paying money monthly to keep ours servers, which are a tad bit popular, up and running for pubbers like yourself to enjoy. This is the decision we have made.

You, of course are very entitled to your opinion and the CS:S community has many servers for you to help populate, if you choose to populate ours...doing so on a good day might be better than on any other.

thx

Funny how people complain when they can't swear, it's like they think they're rights are being restricted. Last I checked swearing wasn't in the constitution, the bible or game manual.

If you feel that you MUST swear to have fun, then you're welcome to go somewhere else. THere will always be people who believe that you don't NEED to swear just to have fun.

One last question, does swearing make you feel better, smarter, more mature, cooler?

Thats exactly right, it *is* the meaning that counts, not the words, and most people who use the words frequently we dont want to hear from. Everyone slips up, it can happen, thats why you get 'watch the language' thats your warning. That should be enough to tell you 'hey - this is a place where they dont want bad langauge'

From there - you have about 3 options.

1: continue to use the language and be removed from the community.

2: stop using the language and be accepted by the community.

3: make a complaint about the servers policies and how you think they should be changed.

Out of those 3 options, you obviously picked 3. and as well formulated as your arguments are, it really doesnt matter - *this* isn't your community, The admins and the players have the say, and until your accepted, you really dont even have a right to open your mouth about the policies.

You may not agree with that - but thats tough cookies. Don't argue with a man in his own house. That is common courtesy, just like not swearing.

Edited by k-wix

Guest Wem
Guest Wem
Guest Wem
Guests
As to asnwer your question as to why profanity in our server is bad...two simple words...positive atmosphere. We always have and always will support and enforce our idea of a positive gamming environment. This includes things as "nice shot", "nice try", "insert cheese saying here =)". And we also define a positive atmosphere is free of the profanity...that is why it is wrong.

Nice F'ing shot!

How about that? Good attempt at an explanation but it doesn't work.

Funny how people complain when they can't swear, it's like they think they're rights are being restricted. Last I checked swearing wasn't in the constitution, the bible or game manual.

Last time I checked, freedom of expression IS in the constitution.

If you feel that you MUST swear to have fun, then you're welcome to go somewhere else. THere will always be people who believe that you don't NEED to swear just to have fun.

I don't feel that I must swear to have fun. Nobody feels that way. But sometimes during CS I feel that certain adjectives are more appropriate than others, in getting my message across.

Look, you guys can continue to point a blind eye towards this issue, it's your server, nobody can make you change. None of you seem to know what your talking about either, beyond knowing that certain words are "bad", and that regardless of meaning or context, you don't want people using them.

I bring this up not hoping for immediate change per se (it would be nice), but instead to let you people know that I would say the majority of CS players are not going to enjoy your policy. If you don't get feedback, you won't realize there's an alternative, right?

This entire thing wouldn't be an issue if you weren't kicking people off the server for using profanity. I mean, the words are FILTERED. Is that not enough??

Guest Wem
Guest Wem
Guest Wem
Guests
Out of those 3 options, you obviously picked 3. and as well formulated as your arguments are, it really doesnt matter - *this* isn't your community, its ours - you have no say. The admins and the players that belong *do*

As long as you can recognize that there are people who have problems with your policy, and that there is some basis to their argument, I am satisfied.

I think you should take your new world order stuff and go elsewhere with it. A person like you is probably against censorship in public tv and radio. 90% of the planet might find those words offensive while someone like you do not. From what I have read so far, what I don't get is why you continue to stick around? This particular community is not only clean language based but it also has some christian aspect to it. However well spoken you may be, I don't think you would fit in here. There are many who feel that way. But there are many who feel they fit in rather nicely. You probably fall into the former category.

As long as you can recognize that there are people who have problems with your policy, and that there is some basis to their argument, I am satisfied.

I'm pretty new here myself and I adore the community, one of the major reasons behind that is you dont find the typical CS:S player, you find intelligent individuals who want to have fun.

I *love* that and find it very hard to play on other CS:S servers, This is something unique that i've only found on GC, and i dont think ill be leaving anytime soon. Players that want to complain and not listen to the policy are banned, i sincerely doubt they are considered 'members of the community'. You need to stop now, as you have an overwhelming majority of people arguing against you. (Re: the entire community)

If you think players having problems with server policy gives them the right to complain actively until a policy is changed - then you are *extremely* wrong. Especially when the majority (Re: the entire community) is against you. I can tell you right now your not going to change anything - your a one-man crusade. good luck with that ;P

If i was a more established member of *this* community i'd go on, but im new here so im going to be quiet. I dont want to pretend im something im not.

I suppose we still kick and ban for language even tho we have the filter is because the filter just edits the text, it doesn't promote that you not use it. And also, more often than not people work around the filter. So that is where admins step in.

Another analogy...if you smoke that is your right...but you wont be smoking in a non-smoking building etc. However, I'm sure you understand the analogy...I just like that one ;)

/sarcasm off

You're taking alot of time with this...posting back and forth, point and counterpoint. Gives me the impression that you really dislike being told what you can and cannot do, even something as small as holding back the "colorful metaphores (sp)."

I'm sorry I can't expain this in a manor that persuades you..I'm not that good of an ourator. (not a very good speller either)

But at the same time notice how much time we are taking with this...even new members are posting in response. This should give you a good idea how much value we put into our policies. In short, your aurgument is noted, but I think you have guessed by now that nothing is going to change.

Perhaps we should leave it at that.

All i have to say is Wow you really came in here with your arguing shoes.

Word of Advice:

When you get frustrated just type out random words.

Pubber:jdsfbdksjfbkjfbsdjlf

Us: Boy he is frustrated!

lol or use the word Arg, I love that word.

Removed. Probably too late, but removed.

but instead to let you people know that I would say the majority of CS players are not going to enjoy your policy.

He finally hit the 95! Now we're talking. But he thought this was a mistake. He was trying to open our eyes and tell us we were doing what we were intending to do. I missed that part!

He doesn't know what Mayhem is to comment on clueless' sig.

He doesn't understand private property.

He just doesn't understand. Maybe someday...but not likely real soon.

I'm moving this to g0tbanned....because Wem just g0t b4nned.

For reference:

L0215061.log(280): L 02/15/2005 - 15:38:42: "Wem<1009><STEAM_ID_PENDING><>" connected, address "69.158.24.242:60953"

L0215061.log(281): L 02/15/2005 - 15:38:48: "Wem<1009><STEAM_0:1:1404777><>" entered the game