What's your tendency?

Fatty

What do you tend to do?  

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Your first question might be: what is it? what's the value? it depends.

Too bad, "it depends" isn't a choice. If all things were equal and the correct solution was not an obvious one for any reason (financial, availabililty, etc)....what is your normal course of action?

Looks like I choose the only "go without" option....

Car broke down 2 months ago (will cost over $1000 to fix, it's worth about half that) and now use my bike or feet to get anywhere exclusively (or bum rides when I need to travel any more than 10 miles).

I'm a Mr. Fixit. Definitely.

If I can't fix it, I do without, until I need one, in which case I will go out and buy the highest quality item within my price-range, and use it for as long as I can keep it prime... ...and then the cycle begins anew.

Like Ice I spent a good deal of my growing up on a farm...I remember how eager my uncles got when we got our first arc welder...first thing we did was have a tractor race now that we could fix whatever we broke...beer+welder+no one qualified to use welder=goodtimes

GC Founder

Actually, I had a mower moment....normally they're shower brainstorms, but this was a mower thought. Something about the drone of a mower or shower that sends me to deep thoughts. I should have written for Jack Handy.

My tendancy is to replace or go without....I'm just not a fix it guy....I was mowing around the swingset in our backyard considering the "dolphin" swing. The yellow ropes had become frayed from the weather and weeniely to the touch. My instinct was to get new rope, but my dad suggested just wrapping the ropes where Mya could reach with duct tape. Duct tape wins, it's good for another season!

Actually, I had a mower moment....normally they're shower brainstorms, but this was a mower thought.  Something about the drone of a mower or shower that sends me to deep thoughts.  I should have written for Jack Handy.

My tendancy is to replace or go without....I'm just not a fix it guy....I was mowing around the swingset in our backyard considering the "dolphin" swing.  The yellow ropes had become frayed from the weather and weeniely to the touch.  My instinct was to get new rope, but my dad suggested just wrapping the ropes where Mya could reach with duct tape.  Duct tape wins, it's good for another season!

My immediet response would be to get new rope, after all your childs safety is paramout. Then again, duck tape is as strong as steel when properly applied.

This would be a great thread to start a "post up your pics of things you fixed" type of thing.

If I had internet hookup at home I show you a plethora of things I rigged up. Some that look better than factory, and some that scream "DO IT RIGHT NEXT TIME!!!"

A lot of the time I will try to fix whatever it is, but ultimately I usually end up just buying a new "one". 

Especially for me since I take really good care of my things, if I have something that does stop working, It's probably time to buy a new one any way.

Same as above.

My immediet response would be to get new rope, after all your childs safety is paramout.

I would tend to agree here. However, being a civil engineer. I would take the rope off, do a few tensile tests to see whether or not the structural integridy of the rope was still intact. If it was still structurally sound, I would duct-tape it so little fingers wouldn't get hurt. Otherwise, replace it....see above

Acid, are you referring to a D-ring. Like climbing equipment? I thought an o-ring was the small rubber seal you put in to keep cylinders and stuff from leaking?

GC Founder

Naw, the rope was not a hazzard. It's not like I'm risking my 2 year old's neck. It's that yellow stuff.

I hung on them (that a tensile test enough?). She's about 175 lbs less than me. :)

GC Founder

Here, the source of the poll, and to ease the minds of the doubting...I just went outside and took the pics for ya!

The swing in question:

swing.jpg

The completed "job":

swingfray.jpg

Just enough fray to weenie the fingers....

The field test!

swingworks.jpg