Your typing style?

NOFX

Im just wondering how many of you guys use the traditional typing style tought to us in 6th grade? and your wpm.

I have my own style. I type trationally with my left hand but with my right hand I only use two fingers, the one you point with and my middle, I also use that thumb for my space bar.

Gross Words Per Minute (GWPM): 74

Net Words Per Minute (NWPM): 72

I took the test here and only did it once, no cheating!! No I usually dont spend alot of my free time on a computer anymore, I guess its like riding a bike, once you learn you never forget.

http://www.careerstep.com/cgi-bin/typecheck.cgi

GC Alumni
(edited)

Gross Words Per Minute (GWPM): 87

Net Words Per Minute (NWPM): 86

i used to be able to hit 100+ wpm without breaking a sweat. i need some coffee, an ergo keyboard, and i'll be back.

this test is bad news. i'm going to drive myself crazy trying to get back up there. thanks nofx :smiling2:

edit: may want to start over here -> http://www.careerstep.com/typeintro.html

Edited by stuttering.john

(edited)

Gross Words Per Minute (GWPM): 110

Net Words Per Minute (NWPM): 84

I actually only mistyped two words -- but one threw the test off. Instead of "Consider your keyboard an invaluable tool", I accidentally typed "Consider your keyboard as an invaluable tool".

Since only two words were mistyped ("as" and "iimportant"), does that mean I type 108 NWPM?

Edit: I'll bet the UT folks generally type faster than the CS folks as a general rule. The CS people probably use their extra finger time to scratch their heads and think of new tactics.

Edited by Unclean

Edit:  I'll bet the UT folks generally type faster than the CS folks as a general rule.  The CS people probably use their extra finger time to scratch their heads and think of new tactics.

i thought UT players spent extra finger time deciding which one to shove up their nose. glad that was clarified, i almost lost a bet. :halo:

(edited)

Gross Words Per Minute (GWPM): 49

Net Words Per Minute (NWPM): 45

That is what I scored in Highschool so I can live with it..

Plus I've had a couple of beers :D

At work I work in auto cad alot and have my short cuts set up for my left hand.. I noticed while I was doing the test that my right hand was a little behind.. Even though I'm right handed..

edit: I need to work on my micro ...

edit2: Traditional

Edited by BushMaster

(edited)

so how are you guys typing? Do you all type the traditiional way they taught you? danng, im very bad at typing. If I didnt have to hit the backspace every three words, I bet i could get like 200

Edited by NOFX

That my prob. NOFX. I am alway's hitting the backspace button.

My problem is I just can't help but think while I type. Some people just type without thinking...I just think to much :)

Gross Words Per Minute (GWPM): 110

Net Words Per Minute (NWPM): 94

interestingly enough, when I put my keyboard in a more comfortable position (i.e. not inclined up like it is now using the little feet under the keyboard) I type slower at 95gwpm and 94 nwpm (slower, yet I get fewer mistakes).

I also type traditionally but using an ergonomic keyboard. On a normal keyboard I can usually hit about 80wpm.

I think the BEST helper for learning to type fast is internet video games...especially the ones where you might get shot while typing. Oh, also the fear of the boss walking in while you post on a message board can speed up your fingers.

:P

Gross Words Per Minute (GWPM): 48

Net Words Per Minute (NWPM): 47

I type with 2 fingers from each hand. I have to look at the keyboard. I can type much faster when I am not copying text. Index and middle fingers. I use my thmb for space. I guess you can say that I taught myself how to type.