what DO they teach kids in schools these days??!!

Whitney

So i was playing Jen Rummy with my mom and i went into the kitchen to get some tropical punch kool-aid (yummy). My stepbrother came in and my mom was like

"Doug you look like a person from Ethiopia with those hoops in your ears"

and can u even guess what he said!

"Whats Ethiopia?"

Ok, he is in the 8th grade, almost highschool! and he doesn't know what or where Ethiopia is! I immediatly had to go tell my genius brother playin on the DS. And all he could say was "wow". Then i went into my moms bedroom to tell his dad, and he was just shook his head and said "doesn't surprise me". I called my boyfriend to tell him and he just couldn't stop laughing!

I mean, oh my holiness! We're gonna be givin him crud about this his whole life.

You know what his excuse was! "They never went over stuff like that in school!"

o m g guys o m g

How old is your step brother? If he's really young then I guess he has some sort of excuse, but if not (how it sounds) then shame on him! heh...i just realized that he better be older than 18 if he's got those lobe extensions in his ears...lol...silly mo...i won't even go into the stereotype being portrayed by your mom tho...

How old is your step brother? If he's really young then I guess he has some sort of excuse, but if not (how it sounds) then shame on him! heh...i just realized that he better be older than 18 if he's got those lobe extensions in his ears...lol...silly mo...i won't even go into the stereotype being portrayed by your mom tho...

She said he was in 8th grade...

Your stepbrother sounds like a candidate for one of those "JayWalking" episodes, where we learn that Abraham Lincoln was the President during WW-II, and that George Washington fought the Civil War, and that Canada is one of the States in the USA... :P

I blame the 1960s and all the "new ideas" about education that have about ruint the US. New math, and non-phonetic methods of teaching reading are major culprits, while history taught by date-memorization is so mind-numbingly boring that it's not surprising that nobody remembers any of it!

I mean, President Andrew Jackson, who married another man's wife, and threatened to INVADE a state that was threatening to secede, is interesting stuff! Ditto for Jefferson's duel with Aaron Burr, after which dueling was no longer acceptable practice in the USA. History is interesting stuff, and you have to work HARD to make it as uninteresting as modern History and Social Studies classes had made it in the 1970s. I hear it's even worse now.

Of course, I never learned reading from school, or I'd still be ignorant of History, since learning reading was made even more boring, and overly complicated than History. How dare we subject our poor children to reading Faulkner's "The Bear", just because some hoity-toity snob somewhere declared him to be a "Great Writer". My love of Science Fiction did more for my reading comprehension than all my years of School combined.

As for math, I have to use a calculator for math problems my Mom can work out in her head before I'm done tapping keys. This is because I'm crippled by the "new math" way of doing problems, while Mom learned way back, how to break problems apart sensibly (such as 12*28 = 12*30-12*2 = 360-10*2-2*2 = 360-20-4 = 336) and not forcing the problem into some sort of "multiply by 100s, then 10s, then 1s, adding zeros appropriately, then adding them up" method.

Edited by Goofus Maximus

How dare we subject our poor children to reading Faulkner's "The Bear", just because some hoity-toity snob somewhere declared him to be a "Great Writer". My love of Science Fiction did more for my reading comprehension than all my years of School combined.

I'm with you on that one, Goof. My father tried so hard to get me to read books when I was a kid, and it wasn't until I picked up a Stephen King book that I discovered how wonderful reading is. Sure The Scarlet Letter, The Red Badge of Courage, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Pearl are all great stories that make you think, but they're not really books that a teenager is going to appriciate. When I read The Scarlet Letter, while I enjoyed the story, half the time I didn't know what was going on because of all the symbolisim. And Faulkner? You mean the King of the Run-On Sentance? There is a sentance in The Unvanquished that is two and a half pages long. I'm sorry, thats not good writing.

Give me Stephen King, J.K. Rowling, Christopher Paolini, heck, even a good fan-fiction writer any day of the week.

How dare we subject our poor children to reading Faulkner's "The Bear", just because some hoity-toity snob somewhere declared him to be a "Great Writer". My love of Science Fiction did more for my reading comprehension than all my years of School combined.

I'm with you on that one, Goof. My father tried so hard to get me to read books when I was a kid, and it wasn't until I picked up a Stephen King book that I discovered how wonderful reading is. Sure The Scarlet Letter, The Red Badge of Courage, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Pearl are all great stories that make you think, but they're not really books that a teenager is going to appriciate. When I read The Scarlet Letter, while I enjoyed the story, half the time I didn't know what was going on because of all the symbolisim. And Faulkner? You mean the King of the Run-On Sentance? There is a sentance in The Unvanquished that is two and a half pages long. I'm sorry, thats not good writing.

Give me Stephen King, J.K. Rowling, Christopher Paolini, heck, even a good fan-fiction writer any day of the week.

I think Kurt Vonnegut should be required reading for all students in HS. Great reads + make you think. I read TONS during my youth (and now) and think I could come up with a wicked reading list for about any age.

I think Kurt Vonnegut should be required reading for all students in HS. Great reads + make you think. I read TONS during my youth (and now) and think I could come up with a wicked reading list for about any age.

He is one of my fav's too. However, he is rather liberal, and for that, I doubt you will see him in most schools.

This reminds me of an article I read once on a test of general knowledge they gave a bunch of HS seniors. All questions were ones that seem, to an intelligent person at least, everyone should get right. Like what century did the civil war happen, name 2 countries that border the US, who is the current president, etc. An absurd amount of them got the answers wrong.

Did he get confused with a country in africa?

lol thats what i thought he would have thought

NuT- :o:o:smiling2::smiling2:

He didn't even know it was a country.

He didn't even know it was a country.

Normally I would agree that is kinda sad, but my girlfriend still amazes me with her lack of knowledge with geography. She's a college student who just learned this year how many continents there are on Earth...

Egad. Now I feel like an ignoramus. I don't know how many continents there are on this planet. Oh for the days of Pangea, when there was just ONE continent to remember...

Lessee... Antarctica, Africa, Australia, Eurasia, India (currently in a bad smashup with Eurasia), North America, South America... 7? *sweatdrop*