it's been a while

ephemeral

hey everyone, i haven't been on for a while; been moving around alot, and have had a lot of school work to catch up on, but i think i can visit at least once a week again...

one problem though...

56k!!!!!!! arkarkarkark (disturbingly claws at face)

the place that i am at right now only has 56k, and it feels like crawling into a dark cave after living in a skyscraper...

oh well... *gollum, gollum*

its good to be back, i'm gonna go check my status in the got banned forum now...

Good day all!!!

Edited by ephemeral

Welcome back! Though I don't really deserve to say this since I haven't been very active on the forums even though I joined back in July. :D

But yeah... 56k... I remember when we used to have AOL (when I was like 10) and it tied up the phone line and everything...never played an on-line game with it.

Hehehe, I remember subscribing to MadCow when Napster first came out, it was free, had pop-ups and auto disconnected after 15 min. We'd just got our first computer with a CD burner and we'd go through heck and back again trying to dl songs on 28.8!!!k within 15 minutes. LOL gl . . . We pulled it off a few times though, and we kept coming back. Good times, that was.

Btw, you asked about your sig in the other forum, but I'll answer you here since someone already pointed it out. It's really no complicated forumula: we have a limitation on the size of pics allowed. You have two pics in your sig.

Now, I'm going to let you think about this one, but one clue might be to add the total dimensions of your two pics combined and see what you come up with....

PS. To save more postings, no, your sig is not ok. Pick one.

I remember when 56k was fast as heck. You guys are young.

Then again, much of it was relativce to the amount of data even necessary to process. If you're my age you lived through the 2400 baud and were excited everytime it doubled....Mini and I were just talking about this the other day....

"Dude I have a 14.4..."

"No way"

"Dude I have a 14.4..."

"No way"

Im not as old school as a 2400, but in my days, My buddies and I would have Modem games of Duke Nukem over 14.4k

No matter what the dial has always sucked at my parents house. He has had 56k for years, but it runs like 28.8 tops and it still does.

(edited)
Btw, you asked about your sig in the other forum, but I'll answer you here since someone already pointed it out. It's really no complicated forumula: we have a limitation on the size of pics allowed. You have two pics in your sig.

Now, I'm going to let you think about this one, but one clue might be to add the total dimensions of your two pics combined and see what you come up with....

PS. To save more postings, no, your sig is not ok. Pick one.

I remember when 56k was fast as heck. You guys are young.

Then again, much of it was relativce to the amount of data even necessary to process. If you're my age you lived through the 2400 baud and were excited everytime it doubled....Mini and I were just talking about this the other day....

"Dude I have a 14.4..."

"No way"

ok i'll get on that...should be fixed about 5 minutes after this post. jason, i'll use the sig as a spray, and use your avatar version for my avatar k?

ok, this just proves my...'youngness', but what is 2400? is that referring to bytes? if so, ...ouch...

Edited by ephemeral

2400 baud was the modem speed, that's 2.4k. Be happy with your 56k. :) And yes, I think I downloaded the demo for the original Castle Wolfenstein 3D over a 2400, or 4800 baud modem.

There was no internet at the time, not like there is now. There were just local bbs's, not that much unlike the forums we have today, but you were allocated "x" amount of time on the system per day. Some let you have 30min's/day, others an hour. Some had a time bank where you could store minutes for later use. The games we played were in ANSI graphics, or text based (think Zork), and you (normally) couldn't play against another person at the same time. Unless, of course they had multiple phone lines. But even then, if one person was playing a game, you had to wait till they were done to play.

Oh and the file size for the demo for Wolf3D? It was nearly 500k! Took almost an hour to d/l at 2400, but it was sweet on my old 286. :luxhello:

Oh, the nurse said it was time for the smooshed veggies for dinner. Guess it's back to the home for the fogies. :freak:

Hahaha, "You are likely to be eaten by a grue"

First RPG computer game I played was Usurper. Text based, but sooooo awsome. My brother used to let me use his computer(with a $500 512mb HD, hahha) and hop on the BBS he used to play on.

Ah the good ol' days, lol.

-George