Viewsonic LCD Monitor

Lunk

nice monitor, good price. Response times is good.. but not unbelievable.

Make sure your video card can support 1440 by 900.

Also, 19 inch widescreens have the same (about) viewable height as a 17inch.

Do you really want the widescreen? if not, i would look at just a 19 inch like this one... clicky

higher contrast ratio

good reviews

same response time

good brand (owned 1 in past)

I own it.

It's fine for CS. WS is better for web browsing than CS (very little horizontal scrolling), but it's still nice.

Only thing I don't like is the little blue box that pops up (3 sec) when you switch applications. Haven't figured out a way to get rid of it.

I have that monitor as well Lunk. I like it a lot. My 9500Pro won't allow me to play CS on it though so I can't vouch for it in that capacity. I do use it for photo and graphix editing and its great. Duke, the only time I get that blue box popping up is when the monitor has lost signal and then regained it (IE if I reboot). The price of that monitor has come down about $75 since I bought it too......

i've heard widescreen gaming is quite a bit more immersive then typical 4:3. i'd love to try it sometime.

bubblegum, a 9500pro should play just fine on that monitor.

I own it.

It's fine for CS. WS is better for web browsing than CS (very little horizontal scrolling), but it's still nice.

Only thing I don't like is the little blue box that pops up (3 sec) when you switch applications. Haven't figured out a way to get rid of it.

:boing::boing: Same here...Love the monitor, blue box not that bad but gets to you in the begining

i've heard widescreen gaming is quite a bit more immersive then typical 4:3. i'd love to try it sometime.

Understatement of the year award goes tooooooooo....lol...my headoffice sent me the viewsonic 23" ws by mistake....muahahahahahahahahahahaha...there is no substitute!!! (outside of a plasma)

So, if you guys are playing CS on a widescreen. What are you video settings? And how does it look? ie: do things looked stretched.

1920x1200 and my fps takes quite the hit (9800pro) but it's still playable...basically you still get the regular 4:3 image with wings that are stretched (to make 16:9)

edit: ok playable is a bit of an overstatement...but I was in too much awe to care about 20 fps

I've got an X700pro so I'm thinking it will support the monitor. Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't CSS have a setting to change it to widescreen format? And if so, is anyone using this setting?

I've got an X700pro so I'm thinking it will support the monitor. Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't CSS have a setting to change it to widescreen format? And if so, is anyone using this setting?

yes, that is what I was describing...you get the normal 4:3 ratio screen with extra "wings" that are stretched, but kind of fisheyed, makes it seem like your periferal vision...it's really, really, reeeeaaaally cool...wait...I don't think you need more viewable area lunk...if anything you should have to wear an eye patch to make it fair!

bubblegum, a 9500pro should play just fine on that monitor.

Oh it "plays" fine if I have it at 960x400 or whatever the correct ws res is, but it looks like I'm playing a pong version of CSS. If I try and run it at the recommended resloution for the monitor it locks up in no time.

looks good =)

i wish i had the jr bacon cheese burgers to buy it..

:freak3::freak3:

In deep voice: "get a job"

In high pitched voice: "sha na na na sha na na na na"

In a deeper voice: "get back to work"

anon, it shouldn't be stretched...

lunk, compare it to a widescreen vs full screen movie. you lose out on each side when they convert it to 4:3. with that monitor you'll be able to see enemies before they see you (unless they are also on wide screen).

all this talk of widescreens is make me want to try the res on my monitor to see what the differences are. i don't mind the black bars in movies so i shouldn't mind them in games i assume.

You're right...it shouldn't be stretched...I wonder what I did that caused that... http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=2/4916223822.jpg&s=x4 (just so you can get an idea of what ws looks like)

Man I want to keep this monitor I got from work, Viewsonic 23" WS...but even if they let me keep it SHE DON'T FIT ON ME DESK! And not to mention the power supply is nearly the size of my head!