Mad about BF 2142

[LaW]Maverick

There is pre-loaded spyware packaged with the game that installed on your system regardless of your desires. They have a small disclaimer card in the box, and they have a window that pops up AFTER the installation that tells you that they've basically infected your system with it.

I must say that I'm INCREDIBLY angry with EA for screwing up one of the few good things they had going for them. If they keep doing crap like this, they will be taken down.

The kicker is that if you go through and remove the spyware, the game doesn't work. Just like Kazzaa back in the old days. :boo:

Yeah, I just wanted to let everyone know...I Was really psyched for this game to release, but now I wouldn't touch it.

The spyware is primarily (only?) tracking how long you view in-game ads - as opposed to harvesting your cookies and tracking every website you visit in order to show you specific ads. So - all in all - not good, but rather benign (and at least they warn you)

In reality, the industry is probably moving towards harvesting and serving though (sad...)

PA guys had a thing to say about this... :)

20061020.jpg

-Fk

I still bought BF2142 because I love the game so much. However I must agree that EA always seems to make it a mission to destroy games for their customers. I think EA and Valve are in an evil genius league together along with George Lucas and Fox (who got rid of Firefly).

Believe it or not, such is the future of gaming people. You can't play Halo 2 for PC without buying Windows vista. It's just proof that companies don't give two craps about their customers and they never have. We're losing more of our rights as customers every day - even things we buy are more like 'renting' them from the companies that make them.

I've always hated EA too, ever since they bought Westwood. (many of the developers there disbanded because they didnt want to work for EA)

man I miss Westwood....

For the record, the gaming industry will only move in this horrid direction if people put up with it. If they can't sell their games, they can't make them like that.

Hence me not buying it. I'm not going to tolerate in-game advertising while the morons at EA gather information and use it to market toward us gamers. How 'bout just PAYING ATTENTION to what your AUDIENCE tells you?

All you have to do is spend the money on polls and questionaires rather then paying a butt-load of programmers to develop software that records the ammount of time you spend looking at one thing or another.

On top of that, the polls would, more than likely, be more accurate. Just because I go afk and end up looking an advertisement for Earl's G-Strings for 20 minutes doesn't mean that I want one.

:freak3:

I hope EA gets sued right along with the evil company that developed the software in the first place.

EA can kiss me in a place I can't mention the way I'd like to say it in the .gc forums then crawl back into the depths of Satan's lower intestine from which they originally came.