Ohio Rox

Fatty

KSU rises to top 20 of music industryBut today's chart smash is for illegal downloads among college students

By Carol Biliczky

Beacon Journal staff writer

Kent State University has one of the worst track records in the country when it comes to illegal music downloads by students, according to the Recording Industry Association of America.

The trade group cited KSU as the 17th worst college offender nationwide this school year.

``This is one of the biggest thorns in our side,'' said Paul Albert, the KSU executive director of information services. ``We knew our number was going up quite a bit, but we didn't know we'd broken into the top 20.''

Nationwide, the RIAA, the trade group for the largest music labels, has sent almost 15,000 complaints to the top 25 colleges and universities with student offenders so far this year, nearly triple the number of the previous school year.

The higher numbers reflect the group's improved efforts to monitor and detect offenses, not necessarily that the problem is getting worse, said Jonathan Lamy, RIAA vice president for communications.

Ohio University led the national list with 1,287 complaints, followed by three other schools with more than 1,000 complaints (Purdue University, the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and the University of Tennessee-Knoxville) and the University of South Carolina, with almost 1,000.

Each complaint represented an accusation that a student was identified as sharing a single song over the campus network. More active student offenders, who may share thousands of songs with other students online, are targeted with lawsuits.

Because all the RIAA has is the students' numerical Internet address -- not their names or where they live -- it counts on colleges and universities to intervene on its behalf. Under federal law, those that receive complaints about illegal distribution of copyrighted songs generally must act to stop repeat offenders or else the schools can be sued.

That is easier said than done, though, as college students are some of the biggest music fans but may have the least amount of money to purchase music, so file-sharing is tempting.

Ohio University argued in a media release that it had ``an exceptionally good record when it comes to keeping music and other downloading legal.''

The university said that some of the notices -- which rose from 232 last year to 1,287 so far this year -- were duplicates, contained errors or were misdirected, and the university is a natural target because it has so many students: 17,000 undergraduates on the main campus in Athens, more than many universities.

Terry Hogan, dean of students, said by phone that OU takes stern steps to curtail student piracy.

That includes sending students an e-mail to ``cease and desist'' file sharing on the first offense, and disabling the student's e-mail account. The university also meets with students in person to educate them on the second offense.

``We have an aggressive educational message and we tell them that students are getting caught and they need to know that,'' he said.

At Kent State, which had the second-highest numbers in Ohio, complaints climbed from 112 last school year to 424 to date.

Albert, the head of computer services, said the university blocks students' Internet use on a first offense and requires them to watch a video on music piracy that includes a quiz to see if they paid attention.

Students, who also must certify that they've removed the offending files from their computer, generally don't argue with the RIAA complaint.

``Most of them say, `Yeah, I did it,' '' Albert said. ``They're somewhat humble. They think they can do this and never get caught.''

The university unwittingly made the problem worse this year by improving the Internet bandwidth -- or speed -- it provides to residence halls, which makes it easier for students to download music. In response, KSU has upgraded its technology to better recognize and reduce file-sharing traffic.

At the College of Wooster, industry complaints about music downloads have surged from 41 last year to 175 so far this year.

Spokesman John Finn said the college sends the offending students a letter that orders them to quit file sharing.

``We feel that's something of a deterrent,'' he said. ``A lot of students are a little shocked that the recording industry is aware of what they're doing and that we are, too.''

---

Don't get arrested / fined / etc.

so out of 17,000 students....1,200 of them are "sharing one or more songs".......................I mean....I'm not a math genius....but seems like good numbers for the RIAwAntsmoremoney...

they should go spend their millions on making the world a better place.

GC Founder

Your post here and the one about the halfway house completely contradict each other. It's against the law. (in the other thread, someone suggested punishment / use of money was unfit, and you pointed out the simple relationship between crime and punishment) They are doing something to prevent that. You think they should just ignore this theft and go feed the hungry?

I really didn't post this for some sort of debate, but your casual response to it begs me to respond: The point of the article had nothing to do with % of students, the point was the schools who had the leading number of complaints.

But then again, you probably download music, right? So it's possible one could read this from a completely different paradigm, if one didn't feel stealing music was stealing.

That number seems really low! Cus some people don't even download it people just copy other peoples Ipod list. I am too lazy to download music or I probably would I would never steal from a store though so why is it easier to do this? As a matter of fact i don't even own an ipod or mp3 player its sat radio for me. I think it is stealing. However if there was money laying in the street and no one was guarding it and everyone was running around like crazy grabbing it up. I'm getting some and if you say you wouldn't your a good man. Not a debate just my thoughts. I realize others think it is a serious thing. Especially those losing money.

Edited by Tyranus

I know someone at KSU, though they're not contributing to that number...at least, I'm pretty sure.

I'm no supporter of illegal downloading myself, and copyright law exists regardless of opinion on the practice, but that puts forth the question, what constitutes a successful punishment for a given crime? Do all crimes get the same punishment? Are some crimes worse than others, warranting more severe punishment? Must the severity of crime and punishment line up? The RIAA wants to defend its copyright, which it is entitled to by law. Fine. Good, in fact. The damages they seek seem way out of line, though.

Of course, I guess that's a different issue altogether.

Cool, students (who are traditionally poor and at the shallow end of the pay scale) are not paying for music. Sounds like the audio tape all over again...

Honey, I made you a mix iPod shuffle.

Edited by appalachian_fox

Your post here and the one about the halfway house completely contradict each other.

you're right they are contradictory...I think it's just that I can't stand the RIAA and the guy in the other topic just seemed like a whiney little baby who got upset that he got caught. Any time I hear someone telling a personal story about getting in trouble for downloading illegal music I usually tell them to stop whining too.

But then again, you probably download music, right? So it's possible one could read this from a completely different paradigm, if one didn't feel stealing music was stealing.

and actually no...I haven't downloaded illegal music in probably 5 years. I pay for all of mine these days.

i download music, movies, programs, games, and other forms of files/media outlets.... i don't disagree that it is illegal. i don't disagree that i should be punished. BUT what i do disagree with is the severity of the punishment. I have probably downloaded around 300 movies, and about 20,000 Songs. Now for that, i'd be going to jail for 5 years and paying a fine of $250,000... i don't have that much money... at all.. so i'd be staying in prison. PRISON not jail... for downloading only 300 movies... and 20,000 songs. That is ridiculous. you know whats even more ridiculous, OU and KSU are the two schools im thinking of going to. i got into Kent, and waiting on a response to OU, which i know i'll get into. hehe, i guess i'll just have to contribute to those numbers.

one more thing.... i only download movies and music because i cannot afford them. Assuming i bring in a higher income than $10,000 a year, i will start to pay for them.

It would be no different than going to best buy and stealing 300 movies, which would definitely be a felony. That's 3,000 dollars of stolen movies and 1700 dollars of stolen music (assuming 10 bucks per movie, and thats taking it easy). Just because it is done silently from a remote location doesn't make it any less severe.

Edited by Metallurgic

I never understood how people could justify piracy.

Most people just do it because they can. It is indicative of a lack of moral character. This bogus stuff about games are too much or they charge too much for music is infuriating. They obviously charge way too much for a new lexus. But I have a way to get around that. I drive a Ford.

What would you do if you knew you would never get caught? That is the modifier my Dad used to reveal to me what real character is. The principle he instilled was the fact that I might never get caught but the punishment is not only what can happen to the man on the outside (prison, fines, humiliation) but what can happen to a man on the inside.

Years ago I dl'ed some things. It just never sat right with me so I stopped.

It would be no different than going to best buy and stealing 300 movies, which would definitely be a felony. That's 3,000 dollars of stolen movies and 1700 dollars of stolen music (assuming 10 bucks per movie, and thats taking it easy). Just because it is done silently from a remote location doesn't make it any less severe.

I disagree If I am selling a product I have a responsibility to make sure that product is secure. Its not secure. It would be more like walking down the street and seeing it laying all over the floor for miles not stealing out of a store I feel that is a big difference. I dont condone copying but I feel your argument is off here.

In the military you would get in trouble if you left your things unsecure becuase your causing your brother temptation and also in battle if you cant secure your wallet how safe are you making those around you. I believe I am a good man but if I came across a bag in the middle of the woods full of money I am going to be tempted and if you don't want to tempt that random guy that comes across your bag find a better way to hide it. I feel both are to blame for the loss. One is worse however I tend to agree with cong on the matter of the heart thing.

I disagree If I am selling a product I have a responsibility to make sure that product is secure. Its not secure. It would be more like walking down the street and seeing it laying all over the floor for miles not stealing out of a store I feel that is a big difference. I dont condone copying but I feel your argument is off here.

Well the bottom line is you didn't pay for it, so what's different?

Music/movies on the net is different. Those people didn't "lose" their albums and movies. People are going out of their way to take these cds and movies off a virtual shelf. There is nothing innocent about downloading movies and music illegally.

It's the same thing.

Edited by Metallurgic

GC Founder

Looks like I'd better chain my grill down and make sure my garage is shut if Ty is walking down my street.....he'd blame me for not securing it.

Your analogy fails in that there are steps taken to obtain said items. We're not discussing someone booting up a computer and all of a sudden finding something. There's no wilderness out there on the Internet....these files were purposefully placed wherever they are, and those who desire them have to find them and click away. There's no randomness or anything.

Taking it one step further....how are artists / enforcement to stop this? (i.e. secure it?) I may be wrong, but it was my assumption that every movie and every music file started somewhere as a legit copy, and was duplicated and shared......isn't that true?

Piggy-backing on da Rev.......Character is what you do when nobody is looking.

im not justifying my piracy... i download, its illegal... but to shine some clarity, downloading/coping is different than stealing off a shelf. because if you steal off a shelf... that is ACTUAL lost profit. if you download, that isnt lost profit, thats just you not making any profit. Theres a difference, and its pretty big. Still i am not saying downloading is okay, and that it isnt that bad or anything.. it is wrong, i do it... and i realize it is wrong. but assuming i didn't download, they arent making anymore profit or any less if i did download... because i'm telling you now, i would not buy the CD or the movie in the first place.

im not justifying my piracy... i download, its illegal... but to shine some clarity, downloading/coping is different than stealing off a shelf. because if you steal off a shelf... that is ACTUAL lost profit. if you download, that isnt lost profit, thats just you not making any profit. Theres a difference, and its pretty big. Still i am not saying downloading is okay, and that it isnt that bad or anything.. it is wrong, i do it... and i realize it is wrong. but assuming i didn't download, they arent making anymore profit or any less if i did download... because i'm telling you now, i would not buy the CD or the movie in the first place.

That might be so, but you don't know for sure that you wouldn't have bought the CD/movie in the first place. If there was absolutely no way to get free movies and cds off the net, then you very well might have bought some/most of the stuff you've pirated. Once you download it though, there's no reason for you to buy it. That, to me, is just as good as lost profit, where millions of people don't need to buy your product because they already have it.

That might be so, but you don't know for sure that you wouldn't have bought the CD/movie in the first place. If there was absolutely no way to get free movies and cds off the net, then you very well might have bought some/most of the stuff you've pirated. Once you download it though, there's no reason for you to buy it. That, to me, is just as good as lost profit, where millions of people don't need to buy your product because they already have it.

i'm telling you right now, i would not have bought the product. I can't speak for those others, but i don't have money to spend. I would just listen to the music i already had, and what my friends have in the car. As for movies, i'd just watch other people's movies. i dont have money to spend on that such stuff... and it isn't illegal to borrow a movie/cd from a friend nor is it illegal to watch their movies. so i'd just do that.

hm.

you think i should approve the new user account "RIAAnthony?"

what ever happen tot he pirate bay island thing?
it's still online. the buying their own nation thing is just good publicity, but i'm not sure where it's in the process.

the real story is "what do the new build updates of utorrent contain?" o.O

Looks like I'd better chain my grill down and make sure my garage is shut if Ty is walking down my street.....he'd blame me for not securing it.

While you're at it you better check your garage for cameras. That is, if you workout or anything like that in your garage.

Also there is a similarity between borrowing from friends and downloading from the internet. If you were to borrow a movie from a friend, you would return it right? What do you do with the product you download and have already listened to or watched? If you refuse to return the movie to your friend I would consider it stealing. Just the same as if you downloaded said movie.

Your analogy fails in that there are steps taken to obtain said items. We're not discussing someone booting up a computer and all of a sudden finding something. There's no wilderness out there on the Internet....these files were purposefully placed wherever they are, and those who desire them have to find them and click away. There's no randomness or anything.

Taking it one step further....how are artists / enforcement to stop this? (i.e. secure it?) I may be wrong, but it was my assumption that every movie and every music file started somewhere as a legit copy, and was duplicated and shared......isn't that true?

Piggy-backing on da Rev.......Character is what you do when nobody is looking.

Wasn't condoning it i still think its wrong and I don't do it. However I feel there is responsibility on both parts. If you have a family I hope you take steps to secure them and don't trust every shmo walking in your neighborhood. So yes Chain yer grill unless you are 100 percent sure your in a nice enough area that no one will take it. Its yours and if someone takes it you probably will have to buy another. Thats all I was getting at is they cant secure this stuff and its gonna get taken and people will be prosecuted. However I wont judge a man if he does it cus I am sure I can find some of you that dont that have issues of your own. So I guess if you have a voice of reason you are a criminal. :P

BTW what kinda grill is it? ;)

Oh and I dont know how they can secure it. But sounds like a risky Biusness to pursue all these thieves running around.

Once you download it though, there's no reason for you to buy it.

Not true. A friend of mine downloads music to sample it. If he likes it, he'll buy the CD. If not, he'll get rid of it.

We're talking about pirating music, not sampling. I'm talking about people that pirate just to have it.