"Talking to Americans"

Tristan

(edited)
This is an interview with many American citizens, a few congressmen, TV personalities and such.

Guy's name is Rick Mercer. A political comedian from Canada.

Wow...... all I can say is Wow... the little kid was the only one who knew that Canada had provinces not states ROFL

Edited by Allanon

This is an interview with many American citizens, a few congressmen, TV personalities and such.

Guy's name is Rick Mercer. A political comedian from Canada.

Wow...... all I can say is Wow... the little kid was the only one who knew that Canada had provinces not states ROFL

lol hang on.. canada has provinces lol

I think this just proves that you can say a lot of stuff to people and they'll just go along with it. If you were talking to me and misnamed the capitol of any US state in the process of telling me something, I probably would not notice unless it was Massachusetts or Connecticut.

bah...i don't think it has anything to do with canada...i think it has to do with the fact that a lot of americans are blatantly self-focused and unaware of history, other cultures, or things that they can't focus on in a microsecond on some "entertainment/news" channel...if that.

go read a book america and come back with a two page report.

lol that...

*one can sense the growing frustration tek has, based on his experiences in the dark and turbulent world of american education...

There are so many stupid people in this country. I came to this realization after working in a retail store dealing with stupidity first hand. Although, I'm sure he edited the film so that anyone with anything intelligent to say was cut out.

Though, I believe what mookie said about how people will believe just about anything you tell them.

Man is he still getting away with that! LoL...this was so funny back in the 90's...

Here's my theory...the US has 400 million people roughly? Compared to Canada's 30 mil? That's a lot more people and specifically a lot more stupid people. Now when you look for the Canadian idiots...they're pretty easy to find...they're the people living way up north and in really small towns really far from civilization (no offense peckles). Unfortunately in the US you guys don't really have a geographical method for finding the dimwits...they could be anywhere, which is why we prey on your common knowledge-ly weak.

Oh BURN!!!

K dude, dont start another french - english war now! lol

And I come from a town of 300, and I'm not an idiot. Though, I did know a few of them.

I find that people from large cities get a superiority complex while people from small towns have a narrow view of the world. This doenst include everyone, but it's generally true. Population US>Canada, therefore lots of americans think that the US is somehow "better" than Canada... :)

Heh, my mom's american. Without the US i would be here :D

I knew I would get in trouble for that post! Ok...everyone I mentioned OTHER than those who visit this forum and peckles.

The way I see it, if you're going to live out in the middle of no where that could lose it's electricity/cable indefinitely...you better make that place a nice warm place...doing that in Northern Canada seems like something reserved for...well...Northern Canadians...being a hermit is fine...but do it in South America or something...guerrillas>snow/cold/wind/ice

lol

We could lose power indefinitely and be fine where I grew up. Wood stove (best heat ever, i love the feel and smell) for heating, plenty of acres of firewood :D, live right on lake superior (black bay), spring water in our well, it's great. And there's always the dog to play with :)

Besides, i was getting into a tiff with ScubaDan. :) But he's just mad that the canadiens will never win the cup :) muahhahahahah

lol

We could lose power indefinitely and be fine where I grew up. Wood stove (best heat ever, i love the feel and smell) for heating, plenty of acres of firewood :D, live right on lake superior (black bay), spring water in our well, it's great. And there's always the dog to play with :)

Besides, i was getting into a tiff with ScubaDan. :) But he's just mad that the canadiens will never win the cup :) muahhahahahah

I don't think we want to get into the whole "how many cups have the leaves won/when was the last cup the leaves won" debate do we :biglaugha:

I want to know the total number of people that guy had to interview when finding those morons. Obviously it's a very biased sampling that is presented, but for comedy's sake I don't mind biased reporting :D

lol

I don't think we want to get into the whole "how many cups have the leaves won/when was the last cup the leaves won" debate do we :biglaugha:

Hahahah! Sure! I hate the leafs... but I hate montreal more :D

Oh lets be real here, there are about the same ratio of dumb people to smart people all over. Not just america.

I wasn't saying your ratio is higher...I was saying that your sheer numbers are greater and more evenly dispersed throughout the country, so in theory it's easier to find the yokles whereas in Canada you generally have to drive to Quebec (I think I'm safe on that one...I <3 you Kage!)

The U.S. just reached 300 million estimated population not too long ago...

This is interesting in that yes Americans definately have a higher than average ignorance level.

However, keep in mind this....I guarantee you they did many more interviews than what are shown, and more people responded correctly. While it's definately true there are a lot of stupid people out there, and they deserve to be exploited to comic effect, but how can we know that this is a fair representation?

Another thing is something I learned in my communications class just today. And that is that most people in going into a conversation with someone, automatically assume that the other person is telling the truth and being honest. Now given this even subconcious preset, and the fact that this interviewer looks somewhat official, having a cameracrew and claiming to be someone of authority, it's not hard to see why someone could be easily tricked.

However...I don't mean to say Americans aren't stupid. Because really...how could you think Canadians have a bloody igloo as their capitol building?!

(edited)

The funny thing is that these excerpts come from a 56 minute special feature. He gets Harvard and Yale professors to sign petitions: one to keep Canadians from partaking in the Saskatchewan seal hunt (think Iowa or Ohio, and you're not far off), and the other is a petition to get our King to stop us from putting our elderly on ice floats, and sending them into the ocean. He gets a Political Science major to congratulate Prime Minister Tim Horton (a deceased, alcoholic hockey player) on his political Double Double (Tim Horton's was started by his family, posthumously, and is now owned by the same company as Wendy's).

...and I find it plays more on geographical blinders than general stupidity. What you'll notice, if you pick apart the whole thing, is that the further southwest he goes, the more political stuff, and blatantly stupid stuff he can get away with, because they're further removed. Somebody in Niagara Falls isn't really going to believe that we collect our dirty diapers and dump them into the Love Canal... ...or will they?

Oh, and when they did a kazoo solo, and started mumbling and "blah, blah, blah"-ing in our national anthem, it brought tears to my eyes.

Edited by Norguard