Valve credit card database hacked?

Guest ash

hmmm, i found some myself....

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=156284

not convinced of anything, but worth reading...

Which links to this: http://emp.damage-web.net/viewtopic.php?t=2071

That last one was posted on April 8.

If anything DID get compromised, I would assume that by law anyone who ever bought anything from valve would have received an email.

(edited)

I heard about this a few months back, this is another one that's popped up. There might be something up, just keep an eye on your statements I guess.

Edit: Spelling corrections.

Edited by Tracid

Guest ash
Guest ash
Guest ash
Guests
(edited)

If they managed to steal credit card info then they probably got steam l/p's too. I'm changing my login info, secret question, backup email etc.

Edited by ash

You might want to check that.

Lol...mod BURN!

I don't beleive this for a second.

If it were treu yuo'd not only recieve an emial from Steam but your credit card compnay wuold also contact you and infrom you that you number wuold be changing. If VISA knew you were compromised they'll halt your card immediately (like when I bought 400 Euros in Rome on my VISA without telling them I was there...20 mins later my card was on hold)

You might want to check that.

Lol...mod BURN!

I don't beleive this for a second.

If it were treu yuo'd not only recieve an emial from Steam but your credit card compnay wuold also contact you and infrom you that you number wuold be changing. If VISA knew you were compromised they'll halt your card immediately (like when I bought 400 Euros in Rome on my VISA without telling them I was there...20 mins later my card was on hold)

oman, that's awesome. gj fatty. :biglaugha:

If anything DID get compromised, I would assume that by law anyone who ever bought anything from valve would have received an email.

I think that varies by state, but I may be wrong. I remember reading about that when Bank of America lost all those backup tapes. As I recall, a company doing business in California must, in most cases, do so, but I'm not sure about that.

You know, there are cases where a fair amount of credit card numbers were stolen and the people were not issued new ones. My father had an issue with one of the recent "unauthorized distributions of credit card information", and Visa told him they would keep an eye out and asked him if he would do the same. A few months later, his card was used in England and promptly refunded the next day (but due to exchange rates and the amount charged he was up something like 3 cents). He called Visa, and they handled it at that point. This is a man who doesn't leave the country, except maybe once in a blue moon on business, and then never on his personal card. It kind of surprised me that they didn't catch it. And that was within the past year, year and a half tops.

Of course, it was no problem for my father, he got right through to the fraud department (whatever they call it) and they cleared it up right away and took care of him. That's the nice thing about CCs for the user -- Max $50 liability if reported in a timely fashion, and that's usually waived.

*edit*

Though I must admit, my Visa card has been shut off more than once for "oddball" purchasing patterns over the past three years...everything's a calculated risk to them, I guess.

Edited by appalachian_fox

(edited)

Well so far all this has been unsubstantiated speculation and hearsay. I refuse to get worked up over something that has not been proven to have even occured.

Shaftiel

Edited by shaftiel