12th Grader disciplined for cs map modeled after highschool

ZeroDamage

12th Grader Disciplined for CS Map  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

yeah, looks like a 1.6 map to me as well.

By the way, this is going down as one of the most dumb things I've ever seen a school do. Heck, it could be argued that he was dreaming of saving the school from terrorists!!! What if he joined the CT team every single round...and only had dreams of saving the lives of his friends?

This is stupid...and I'm going to write a letter to the editor of their local newspaper, 'cause man this is stupid. Seriously. It'd be different if he designed a game with specific classmates involved and went around shooting them in a computer rendered version of his HS, but he's out shooting terrorists...something I thought our government supported... :shrug03:

Edit: Writing the principal of the school right now

Edited by [LaW]Maverick

Nope, he shouldn't be disciplined. We just had somebody ask what the layout of the hotel is for FF... what's the diff? It's just one indicator.

Now, if he's in study hall complaining about how "skinning cats just doesn't cut it for me anymore", then I'd be a bit more worried, but not for just wanting to make a map. I'm guessing it's normal for most kids his age to be semi-creative; to create something but off of a known subject. Whether it's telling a story, coming up with an idea for shop class... or making a map for a game you like to play.

It's logical to start profiling people shortly after a terrible tragedy so that a future tragedy may be averted, but making a map for a successful online game is a poor indicator.

Also, isn't it ironic that the efforts to stop a future incident may actually be causing a future one? The very fact that this story is making news is planting a seed in some child's mind. It's frustrating. I believe Cho referenced Columbine at some point, which was years ago. If the Columbine incident had been gagged, would today's youth have such a strong reference point?

Since I'm rambling (and hijacking), isn't it hypocritical that people can attack one amendment as a possible solution to prevent a similar tragedy (right to bear arms), yet in the same breath defend another amendment that is also a possible solution to preventing a similar tragedy (freedom of speech)?

I'll stop before this is moved to the P.A....

/moody rant

I was so irritated I wrote the principal of the school...hahaha...here's the E-mail if you want to read it:

I found your E-mail address on the internet, and I had to write you this letter after reading some news articles related to an incident that recently occurred at your school. My name is Quinton Lawman, and I’m from way up in Ohio. The reason I am writing you this letter is over concern for a growing paranoia in the US, and I’m utterly astounded at the levels to which it has reached. A student was recently removed from your campus and sent to an alternative school over a video game that he played at home in which your high school campus was portrayed as a battleground. While this isn’t an optimal situation for your school to be in, it isn’t exactly a crime either. I feel that a lot of people simply need to be educated before they dole out punishment. So here are a few facts:

Counterstrike, a game I have played since it was released and still play today, is a game in which Counter-terrorism units fight and try to stop Terrorists from doing terrorist things. The objectives are to stop the terrorists before they can plant a bomb, to eliminate all the terrorists, to diffuse the bomb if planted, or to rescue hostages. This is not a game where you just run around shooting random people (i.e. Grand Theft Auto), but instead is objective-based. The “big dark hands holding a big knife†in no way resemble a sword as is stated in a news article from Fort Bend, but they do hold a combat knife and they are dark because the character model is wearing gloves.

For all you or the officials know, the student could have joined the Counter-Terrorist team every single time, dreaming only of defending his friends and school from terrorist threats. There is no way to tell, and it is ridiculous to punish someone on such baseless grounds. So the student was Asian and had swords in his roomâ€â€it could be part of his heritage and he may not necessarily know how to use them either. They aren’t illegal, and they were never brought to the school, so it should have no bearing on his punishment. In addition, student’s personal computer was where he played the game; he didn’t play it in school, nor did he have any custom skins (graphics that change the appearance of the character models in the game) set to resemble students or staff in the game.

A quick Google search for “Counterstrike maps†will show you that thousands upon thousands of maps are designed after real-world places. I’m sure that some others are schools that were made 5 or 6 years ago. Just because someone wants to play in a familiar place does not mean their planning on toting an M16 to school and shooting up the place. If we constantly worry about it, and constantly keep putting things like this in the news and bringing it to people’s attention we’re just going to give the real crazies ideas and we will create our own self-fulfilling prophecy. The recent Virginia Tech shootings were covered in such great detail that some maniacal college student would have a step by step plan to do something similar.

Please, don’t be another school that lets paranoia get the best of them. I know it’s not entirely up to you, but urge the school-board to reverse its decision and allow this perfectly innocent senior to graduate with his class. Watch him closely if you want to, but I very seriously doubt that he had any intentions of turning his Counterstrike map into a real life situation. What’s next, punishing students for reading violent books?

I want to make it clear that this is in no way a malicious E-mail, I simply wanted to call to your attention the fact that this student is being punished based on circumstantial evidence and was only engaged in perfectly typical behavior in which millions of people have enjoyed since the release of the game Counterstrike. If you want to learn more about Counterstrike, feel free to write me back or you can look at our online community which is based on Counterstrike at www.gamerscoalition.com and our forums at www.gamerscoalition.com/forums/. We don’t even allow people to swear or make drug-references on our servers, and most of us are grown up and have real jobs (like myself). Thank you for your time and consideration.

Thank you again,

Quinton Lawman

Yeah, I've seen school administrations be really anal but this has to the the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. I'll bet that there are people on the school board that wanted to do this for some kind of political aim. hmmm....I wonder if the principal is friends with Jack Thomson....this would make sense then!! hehe :)

Back before I ever used Hammer/Worldcraft, the first idea I had for a map was to do Hasbrouck Lab. It's a neat building here at UMass with two lecture halls stacked on top of each other (Hasbrouck 20 and Hasbrouck 124) and a layout convoluted enough to still confuse me after having 2 lectures, 2 labs, and 2 classes in that building. Obviously not gonna touch that with a 40-foot pole now.

I voted yes, for this one reason:

Obviously he wasn't planning to do a school shooting, but if he was, a person would have a very detailed map to plan from.

no one plans a shooting from a CS map..

and I already made a map of my house where the objective is to blow up the furnace lol

I would create a poll if I could but I cannot so here you are with just something to read.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headli...ro/4766843.html

Do you think he should be disciplined for doing this?

I honestly expect a map to be made after VT and possibly Norris Hall by someone one of these days.

Wow, I have been mapping since I was in middle school and have been thinking about doing my school(s) since then also. My friend and I have always thought it was be cool to play CS/Half-Life in our Middle School and High School.

Glad I never got around to finishing the projects, I guess!

And here I was contemplating mapping SDSU... lol

Now that I have read the article...wow, how can they be so ignorant? The first comment on the article pretty much sums up my opinion on the matter.

By the way Mav, that was a beautiful e-mail, bravo, bravo!

Edited by Assassinator

Man you guys are weird down their...you'll fight to the death so you can carry a gun but God forbid someone makes a FANTASY scenario in which no one could possibly get hurt...

"What do you mean it's the NRA's fault!!!? It's obviously that dastardly Bill Gates and his counter-stikes!"

Gosh I love my smart American friends (that's you guys...just in case :biglaugha: )...but you need to do something about the rest of y'all.

Man you guys are weird down their...you'll fight to the death so you can carry a gun but God forbid someone makes a FANTASY scenario in which no one could possibly get hurt...

"What do you mean it's the NRA's fault!!!? It's obviously that dastardly Bill Gates and his counter-stikes!"

That, my friend, is an EXCELLENT point. I wish I would've thought of that when I sent the E-mail....ah well.

Still no response by the way.

That, my friend, is an EXCELLENT point. I wish I would've thought of that when I sent the E-mail....ah well.

Still no response by the way.

I doubt you'll get a response.

And yes Mo, while not all Americans are as stupid as the international community thinks we are... there are some big hypocrites here... now of course... aren't there in all countries?

I did not comment on my initial post but will make a brief comment now. This kid is basically being crucified for basically being an artist. It is HARD to make a map; I played around with it last night. His first amendment rights were basically stomped all over IMO.