animalia arthropoda chilopoda scutigeromorpha scutigeridae scutigera coleoptrata

Xoul

Ever think you just saw something run across your carpet, but you weren't sure? Well, we moved into this new house and seen this.... bug1.jpg Well, I did some research on it... and you actually CAN'T get rid of these things. They're worse than cockroaches. heres the link. House Centipede

I had those in my old house!!

They like cool places like basements and... <shudder> bathtubs.

I found that if you heat things up a bit with, for example, a propane torch... they don't like it.

I could never figure out where they came from, but they appeared to live and multiply in my house because I'd find smaller ones and then... <shudder> much bigger ones.

Try setting off a bomb that has permethrin (or a derivative) in it.

lol, i love his raid spray technique. that's hilarious.

those things are really nasty. i hope i never see one.

They are all over my parent's basement (one reason I moved out!)

I hate them...with a passion.

They come up from your drain pipes (depending on your system). I used to get up for work at like 5am, go into the bathroom and turn on the lights and pray my eyes were playing tricks on me. The worst is when you go to brush your teeth and when you turn your water on 3 fat centipedes come racing out of the drain!

They are actually very fragile, a good smack with a tissue box or even a used paper towel roll works well. At the end of the day putting them in a glass jar and throwing them into the lake works best.

I have had 2 apartments that had em. Plus my parents house every once in awhile. Not only are they big and creepy looking... they are faster than any bug I have seen. If you try and kill them and miss, they are GONE. But they do not bite.

my folks have those in their house. they creep me out way more than spiders. they're fast movers too. so dont miss!

farmer just posted exactly what i said! grrrr

(edited)

Did you guys read the thing at the bottom?

Note: The house centipede is more commonly found in the United States and Mexico, and across Asia. But is very rare in Canada. Except for Toronto, as that is the worst Canadian city.

Owned again, Americans.

.. and Torontonians. :hihi:

Edited by Tristan

This is probaby THE most common predatory insect in North America. The common "house centipede." I would not advise getting rid of it actually. They will take care of all your roach problems, and spider "problems" (actually they are good to have around too), and they help a ton with carpenter ants, silverfish, earwigs, and termites. They are non-harmful to humans, besides the "gross" factor. I would leave them.

I would not use pesticides...if you really want to get rid of them, seal any cracks in your foundation block and make sure your basement stay dry.

according to www.whatsthatbug.com:

House Centipedes are your friends. They will kill and eat Roaches.

I have em too...they look creepy sure, but they are completely harmless so big deal.

pansies.