3 Days Left to Validate XP

anonymo

So I did a fresh install about a month ago with a version of XP, but it's not a full copy just a "demo". I have 3 days left to validate it or reinstall (lol...ok I'm a cheapo).

My question is thus...Should I buy Vista Ultimate or XP Pro and upgrade down the road. How well is Vista running for you guys? I'll basically be using it for media, CS and my music production (checked my apps are Vista capable...well some of them are). I'm leaning on the side of just buying it unless someone has a good reason not to.

Oh and should I get the 32 or 64 bit version (I assume I should get the 64 bit version)

Thanks in advance fellers!

I actually wouldn't get the 64bit unless you feel you really need it.

there are still hardware pieces that don't have drivers yet and there are bugs with certain games that you have to work around.

I didn't notice a good enough increase with 64bit to make the driver and game issues worth it.

also cheap XP Pro

but you should really just switch to OSX :)

giggle

What are your system specs?

AMD 64 3500+

2 gigs Ram

Nvidia 7600GS

Benjester...can you confirm that if I get Vista Ultimate that it can be downgraded to XP? That would be the way to go for me, I would use XP until the Vista issues are cleared up (definitely getting it OEM)

SJ I love you...go back to playing Marathon

https://partner.microsoft.com/malaysia/40042969

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/f...erencesheet.pdf

The first link is A process to follow to downgrade. Some manufacturers include the downgrade DVD for XP with the Vista media. The second link is the PDF noting that virtually any copy of Vista Ultimate or Business is available for downgrade to xp including OEM, Retail, and VL.

Edited by benjester

https://partner.microsoft.com/malaysia/40042969

http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/f...erencesheet.pdf

The first link is A process to follow to downgrade. Some manufacturers include the downgrade DVD for XP with the Vista media. The second link is the PDF noting that virtually any copy of Vista Ultimate or Business is available for downgrade to xp including OEM, Retail, and VL.

Thanks buddy...maybe this is the way to go for now...sure beats buying XP and then Vista down the raod

If I were in your shoes, I would probably suck it up and buy vista ultimate and just use it instead of dealing with downgrading and such. I've been using vista since February on my laptop, and my only complaint is that nvidia screwed me and hasn't given decent drivers for the 7900gs go graphics card in this thing.

Your processor isn't the fastest thing going right now, but the 2GB of ram would definitely make vista feasible for now. If you see yourself doing a hardware upgrade in the next few months or so, then there really isn't a reason to go back to XP in my opinion. Games at this point may run a little slower, but it shouldn't be a major difference.

You should also check with other people that have similar cards to your 7600gs to see if they have vista driver issues. Mine is the "go" laptop version which hasn't seen a driver update since january, but I think the desktop 7000 series cards have gotten some.

Vista is not teh devil that some people make it out to be :D

I have been using OSX for about 2 months now and it is insanely awesome and does everything that I wish Windows did AND it looks better too.

I treat it like I used to treat Windows...I do whatever I want and I put things wherever I want and I turn off and turn on whatever I want...basically treat it like crap...it hasn't hiccuped once.

silly Canadian.

In vista's defense, yes, the "cancel or allow" thing is kinda annoying, but after the first couple of days using it and getting your settings and programs installed you pretty much won't see it much at all. I've only seen it a handful of times since March, and most of those times was me needing to disable my wireless card while keeping my bluetooth active.

The mac propaganda machine makes a big deal about it, but after you get it set up it's really not. If you actually LIKE messing with computers and don't mind configuring stuff to your liking, then vista should be just fine for you :P

there are still hardware pieces that don't have drivers yet and there are bugs with certain games that you have to work around.

I didn't notice a good enough increase with 64bit to make the driver and game issues worth it.

also cheap XP Pro

giggle

Is that site legitimate?

k, i'll chime in. been not at my comp for a few days.

my advice is to check that you can get 64 bit drivers for all your stuff and then get vista business 64 bit. if you can't get drivers then just get xp pro 32bit. i say this because once you start gaming on vista you'll run out of that 2gb pretty quick. also, there's no sense in paying the same money and getting 32 bit as you will see an advantage to 64 bit within two years and there is no disadvantage to 64 bit that i've run into thus far.

vista ultimate is a waste of money as media centre sucks and the "ultimate extras" are virtually non-existent.

boiler, check out http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/. you can get all the nvidia drivers there and just dl the modified infs. that's where i get my laptop drivers and i've never had a problem.

and yes, disabling user account control is a must with vista. you can't even run cpuz without it asking you.

Edited by Cujo

also cheap XP Pro

giggle

Is that site legitimate?

I posted two links to two different sites...which one did you mean?

careful when you disable the account control... it can cause you problems down the road... some of the installs built to run with vista count on those account controls, and create problems and corrupt installs.

Also, depending on use, OSX could be great, or it could be crap. I work for a publishing company, so I am on both sides of the fence. OS X is awesome when the application exists for it... but there are still limits if you are a die hard windows person... vice versa is true. It all depends on what you need out of an OS.

64 bit has been available for a long time now, and there still isn't a lot of support for it... so I just write it off until I start seeing some changes... I doubt that will be within 2 years though. So personally, I would stay clear. But, some of the manufactorers are sending out the 64 bit, adn 32 bit with OEM... so if you are buying OEM... just buy one that has both 32 bit and 64 bit in teh box... install the one you want. It only downgrades to XP 32 bit though.