well i fried my computer...

Brew

Check the motherboard/peripherals. See if any have blown chips/resistors/etc. They would have literally blown up, and you would have tiny black charmarks around it. If not, it might have just hit your power supply.

Those are some places to start, but it's not easy if you don't have spare parts like Kruten suggested.

Take it to a local computer shop and maybe have them swap out some parts with you there. If you have home owners insurance, have the computer shop write you up a repair/replacement estimate for your insurance company. Had to do it a lot at my last work (check your insurance company to get specifics).

One way you can check the power supply is to connect the Ground pin and PS-ON pin on the ATX connector.

http://xtronics.com/reference/atx_pinout.htm

Make sure the power supply is turned off and connected to nothing but the outlet. Take a piece of wire or something like a twist tie to put between pin 14 and 15. Flip the power supply switch and see if it turns on.

One way you can check the power supply is to connect the Ground pin and PS-ON pin on the ATX connector.

http://xtronics.com/reference/atx_pinout.htm

Make sure the power supply is turned off and connected to nothing but the outlet. Take a piece of wire or something like a twist tie to put between pin 14 and 15. Flip the power supply switch and see if it turns on.

That's a quick way to turn that power supply into a brick if it isn't already one. Power supplies are regulated by the motherboard, and in addition most of those computer power supplies need a decent-sized load, say 5-10% of their total rating, to maintain regulation. If the motherboard is not hooked up and you don't have an appreciable load across it, you're risking serious damage to the PSU.

An alternative, if you are savvy with electronics, is to look for Wake on LAN power. If you have power there, it won't tell you that it's working for sure, but if you DON'T have power there that's a sure dead sign. A quick Googling shows that you should read 5 V on pin 9:

link

And this site gives you a bit more detail about testing the PSU in a system, so that may be worth reading up on.

Good luck.

well its not the power supply... <_< i got a new PS today and throiugh it in there and still nothing... i see that there is a status light on the motherboard that energizes but thats all... so whats the next step? hoe do i check the other conmponents?

it's not the psu,

look at your mobo. check for any blown chips or capacitors that are fried. If you can take the mobo out of the tower, you can check out the back of it for any shorts or burn marks.

Do any of the fans spin up?

It's not ur HDD, b/c u'd still be able to get into BIOS. I'd disconnect anything unnecessary until u can figure it out. You do not need all the fans, vid card, extras plugged into the MOBO.

Are you trying a different outlet and surge protector? Maybe ur not getting enough juice from the outlet anymore.

i checked the outlet. its juiced. and for the record i did have a surge protector but it didn't trip. granted, "i borrowed" it from my office and it was obliviously a piece of garbage :smillie_smilling: ... i disconnected the mobo and there was no signs of burns or whatever...

i guess i gotta start a build... ill start with a new case, ps, mobo and cpu... then start to scrap the old parts into a new pc... right?

Disconnect everything from the mobo, cd-rom hdd floppy and try to powe it on, if you get no post then take out the memory and try to power it on. You could have a toasted peripheral or memory causing a short.

Literally, everything from the mobo. Take out any cards as well (except video) and then if no post take out video too. Basically keep removing parts until you get down to just a mobo, cpu and psu. if still no boot it is one of those 3 and if you have a new power supply then its proc or mobo.

Also depends on ther motherboard manufacturer aso to what the on board led signifies as far as power.

Note: if you have a floppy that is the first thing I would disconnect to start the elimination process.

i checked the outlet. its juiced. and for the record i did have a surge protector but it didn't trip. granted, "i borrowed" it from my office and it was obliviously a piece of garbage :smillie_smilling: ... i disconnected the mobo and there was no signs of burns or whatever...

i guess i gotta start a build... ill start with a new case, ps, mobo and cpu... then start to scrap the old parts into a new pc... right?

man i'd just run to best buy and pick up a comparable psu and try powering on with only what chaosvein mentioned (cpu, memory, video card only) and see where that gets you. if that powers on, buy a GOOD psu (and new surge protector :smiling2:) and return the one to bestbuy when the new one shows up.

Yeah I would start the trial and error that Chaos mentioned.

The only other thing I could think of if you're getting power to your mobo (with nothing attached but the CPU) but no bios is that maybe your bios rom got flashed/wiped. I say this only because there's no sign of physical damage and your mobo appears to be accepting power...as to how that would happen behind a surge protector (which doesn't really matter how craptastic it is as they are all basically the same, should just stop the surge).

Now...have you replaced the power bar/surge protector? You have to do that first as a powerbar/surge protector is generally designed for a one time only application of the "sky juice"

well i ended up gutting everything out and still ther was nothing... im pretty much ready to got to my defalt solution for everything which is thowing money at the problem. :twitch:

my mobo/cpu needed a upgrade anyways so the good news is im in the markert for a comp upgrade :freak3:

thnaks for the input guyz