How's the server doing?

Flitterkill

Looking to get a feel on how this thing is shaping up - granted, only 24 hours or so, but need to start hearing about how the game is shaping up, and more importantly, how the demo server is doing, server environment, etc.

Might as well have one thread for it.

-Fk

Great! It really only takes a couple people to get it to fill it up and there doesn't seem to be much of an issue with "E-thugs" yet (most people are silent). Otherwise it's a blast!

Few cusses here and there but really not bad at all... I'm am really enjoying TF2 as well as playing it with GC people.

after playing tf2 for 3-4 days, i really suck at cs. Took me an hour plus to get used to cs controls again lol.

but server is great, seems to always get full if I put it to ctf_2fort and sit for 5 mins.

really as of now, all maps keep the server going. Its just good to make sure the default map when it starts up every morning is ctf_2fort, that one seems to bring the people in. If there are only 2-4 people, they will join a fort server but not one of the other huge ones.

How many people have admin that are playing right now? If there is a good number thats a possibility, but if not it would suck to be stuck playing the same map for ages waiting for an admin to come on...

Me, Mo, M2, and Shazz so far... not sure about anyone else. I personally think granary is great also.

GC Board Member
How many people have admin that are playing right now? If there is a good number thats a possibility, but if not it would suck to be stuck playing the same map for ages waiting for an admin to come on...

Me, Mo, M2, and Shazz so far... not sure about anyone else. I personally think granary is great also.

Windex should as well

-Fk

I think that if there is an admin that is going to be on for a while, he can disable it while he is there, but once he leaves needs to turn it back on.

Its still early for this game, so I think people want to try out a lot of different maps to see what they like.

Also, I am sooooo lost 90% of the time :)

We need to adjust the round limit to 3, 5 rounds takes too long, especially if a team is outmatched.

Help a brother out. I've never played this game so I have no idea what you're talking about. All I know is there are no cvars set to 5 that look like they're what you're talking about:

17:39:06 cvarlist mp
17:39:06 cvar list
	 --------------
	 mp_allowNPCs							 : 1		: , "sv", "nf"	 : 
	 mp_allowspectators					   : 1		: , "sv", "rep"	: toggles whether the server allows spectator mode or not
	 mp_autocrosshair						 : 1		: , "sv", "nf"	 : 
	 mp_autoteambalance					   : 1		: , "sv", "nf"	 : 
	 mp_autoteambalance_delay				 : 15	   : , "sv", "nf"	 : Time after the teams become unbalanced to attempt to switch players.
	 mp_autoteambalance_warning_delay		 : 5		: , "sv", "nf"	 : Time after the teams become unbalanced to print a balance warning.
	 mp_bonusroundtime						: 15	   : , "sv", "rep"	: Time after round win until round restarts
	 mp_chattime							  : 10	   : , "sv", "rep"	: amount of time players can chat after the game is over
	 mp_clan_ready_signal					 : 0		: , "sv"		   : Text that team leader from each team must speak for the match to begin
	 mp_clan_readyrestart					 : 0		: , "sv"		   : If non-zero, game will restart once someone from each team gives the ready signal
	 mp_decals								: 100	  : , "a"			: 
	 mp_defaultteam						   : 0		: , "sv"		   : 
	 mp_disable_autokick					  : cmd	  :				  : Prevents a userid from being auto-kicked
	 mp_enableroundwaittime				   : 1		: , "sv", "rep"	: Enable timers to wait between rounds.
	 mp_fadetoblack						   : 0		: , "sv", "rep"	: fade a player's screen to black when he dies
	 mp_falldamage							: 1		: , "sv", "nf"	 : 
	 mp_flashlight							: 1		: , "sv", "nf"	 : 
	 mp_footsteps							 : 1		: , "sv", "nf"	 : 
	 mp_forcecamera						   : 1		: , "sv", "rep"	: Restricts spectator modes for dead players
	 mp_forcerespawn						  : 0		: , "sv", "nf"	 : 
	 mp_forcerespawnplayers				   : cmd	  :				  : Force all players to respawn.
	 mp_forcewin							  : cmd	  :				  : Forces team to win
	 mp_fraglimit							 : 0		: , "sv", "nf"	 : 
	 mp_friendlyfire						  : 0		: , "sv", "nf", "rep" : 
	 mp_idledealmethod						: 1		: , "sv"		   : Deals with Idle Players. 1 = Sends them into Spectator mode then kicks them if they're still idle, 2 = Kicks them out of the ga
	 mp_idlemaxtime						   : 3		: , "sv"		   : Maximum time a player is allowed to be idle (in minutes)
	 mp_maxrounds							 : 0		: , "sv", "nf", "rep" : max number of rounds to play before server changes maps
	 mp_restartgame						   : 0		: , "sv"		   : If non-zero, game will restart in the specified number of seconds
	 mp_restartround						  : 0		: , "sv"		   : If non-zero, the current round will restart in the specified number of seconds
	 mp_scrambleteams						 : cmd	  :				  : Scramble the teams and restart the game
	 mp_showrespawntimes					  : cmd	  :				  : Show the min respawn times for the teams
	 mp_simulatemultiplecappers			   : 1		: , "sv", "cheat"  : 
	 mp_stalemate_timelimit				   : 240	  : , "sv", "rep"	: Timelimit (in seconds) of the stalemate round.
	 mp_switchteams						   : cmd	  :				  : Switch teams and restart the game
	 mp_teamlist							  : 0		: , "sv", "nf"	 : 
	 mp_teamoverride						  : 1		: , "sv"		   : 
	 mp_teamplay							  : 0		: , "sv", "nf"	 : 
	 mp_teams_unbalance_limit				 : 1		: , "sv", "nf", "rep" : Teams are unbalanced when one team has this many more players than the other team. (0 disables check)
	 mp_teststalemate						 : cmd	  :				  : Test the stalemate mode. Parameter: <0/1>. If 1, the map will reset at the end.
	 mp_time_between_capscoring			   : 30	   : , "sv"		   : Delay between scoring of owned capture points.
	 mp_timelimit							 : 30	   : , "sv", "nf", "rep" : game time per map in minutes
	 mp_waitingforplayers_cancel			  : 0		: , "sv"		   : Set to 1 to end the WaitingForPlayers period.
	 mp_waitingforplayers_restart			 : 0		: , "sv"		   : Set to 1 to start or restart the WaitingForPlayers period.
	 mp_weaponstay							: 0		: , "sv", "nf"	 : 
	 mp_winlimit							  : 0		: , "sv", "rep"	: Max number of rounds one team can win before server changes maps
	 --------------
	  45 convars/concommands for [mp]

17:44:03 cvarlist tf
17:44:03 cvar list
	 --------------
	 tf_flag_caps_per_round				   : 3		: , "sv", "rep"	: Number of flag captures per round on CTF maps. Set to 0 to disable.
	 tf_playergib							 : 1		: , "sv", "prot"   : Allow player gibbing.
	 tf_stats_track						   : 1		: , "sv"		   : Turn on//off tf stats tracking.
	 tf_stats_verbose						 : 0		: , "sv"		   : Turn on//off verbose logging of stats.
	 --------------
	   4 convars/concommands for [tf]

Saw two repeat customers today.

Next time you're playing at the start of a map, do "rcon mp_winlimit 3" and make sure it does what you think it does. All I know is in CS:S that's how many rounds a team can win before the map changes. How long are most rounds in TF2?

Edit: Also, in CS:S you can cause the map to end early just by changing mp_winlimit or mp_timelimit. If one team's getting beat down and you need/want to change maps you can just do that.

Ya, when are they gonna set up reserves? Hopefully before the actual release.
keep in mind valve doesn't provide the reserves or admin functions, those are all done by good loving volunteers in the gaming community. keep teh fingers crossed:

Aside from these goodies, the roadmap to 1.0.0 is slowly diminishing, and our goal is to have the front-end administration menu portion usable by the time Orange Box ships.
(its a start)

seriously sj, all i wanted to hear was that you could put a good word in for me or at least kick a coupla doods so i can get in. way to not get the message bra.

The RCON password is posted in the admin forums, get HLSW and kick some doods yourself.

ive been trying for about 5 hrs yesterday and 3 hrs today and still cant get on cuz its full

You're kidding right? It usually takes me 5 minutes to join the server when it's full, just hit auto join... :shrug03:

Sheesh...you'd think someone with the ability to walk on water could figure this stuff out :D