Has anybody ever noticed this smell?

TheGeek

The smell of computers.

I'm serious! Say a computer (and other random powered computer supplies) are running 24/7 in a small room.

You enter the room after not going in for many days. You enter the room and the smell of computers fills your nostrils, you jump with glee! I found that if there is a fan blowing, it helps get the smell around. :D

Anybody noticed this?

Edited by TheGeek

tar build up is everywhere.

LOL what? Doesn't work quite like that...cigarette smoke leaves a very fine dust which is known not to effect electronic components unless left for years and even then the small particles don't clump unless moisture is introduced.

*cough!*

That smell is dust burning.

The smell of computers.

I'm serious! Say a computer (and other random powered computer supplies) are running 24/7 in a small room.

You enter the room after not going in for many days. You enter the room and the smell of computers fills your nostrils, you jump with glee! I found that if there is a fan blowing, it helps get the smell around. :D

Anybody noticed this?

you really need another hobby. :biglaugha:

I love the smell of new electronics burning in the first day.

I've worked on some nasty computers, one actually made me dry heave. :crazy: (j/k) Heavy smokers are the worst making for some nasty power supply stink when they fill with a greasy soot and fry. I don't like the ones with rooster roaches either.

LOL what? Doesn't work quite like that...cigarette smoke leaves a very fine dust which is known not to effect electronic components unless left for years and even then the small particles don't clump unless moisture is introduced.

*cough!*

lol of course mo you probably clean your PC... but nonsmokers vs smokers pc that prolly been sitting one spot for a few years no cleaning... you can hardly be able perfectly clean a smoker's PC that junk is caked on.

This thread of a guy going some xtrem-cleaning on his brother's PC

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1233031

This is from work...

Heavy_smoker-clogged.jpg

BTW the second nastiest PC to touch is the cat lady's PC... guaranteed to contain bugs and tons of fur... *dies a little inside*

*cough!*

I disagree...especially when you account for the "moisture added" effect. I've seen what looks like a gunky brown/black "tar" on the innards of a smoker's computer...he was a basement dweller in a damp apartment.

Tar is simply the particulate matter from smoke mixed with water or in the lungs, water-based mucous.

well they have that smell... but its just like the smell of when you get new computer parts... i know exactly what your talking about... your not in this alone..

even know its a .. interesting subject.

ummm.... computers usually pic up the scent of their environment... especially when the owner doesn't bother to clean it. I hate having to work with a smoker's computer no offense but it's just icky... tar build up is everywhere.

but no geek I don't smell my computer...

Ah yeah. We get the same thing with TV's. Sometimes with grease and crap on them.

I disagree...especially when you account for the "moisture added" effect. I've seen what looks like a gunky brown/black "tar" on the innards of a smoker's computer...he was a basement dweller in a damp apartment.

Tar is simply the particulate matter from smoke mixed with water or in the lungs, water-based mucous.

I think the important part is to avoid moisture...kinda what I was getting at...smoking is generally not a problem as long as nothing's wet. That and I disagree that tar=wet ash.

Tek, where ya been? Get in some tam/freon action so i can pwn you!

My wife grounded me...I haven't killed anyone digitally since last Monday. Oh well.

I will get my huevos back soon...never fear.

Oh, and if you look up what cigarette tar is, it will tell you that it IS the particulate matter from burning tobacco...once it contacts ANY moisture (i.e. water vapor in air or water vapor from burning cigarette or condensation...whatever) it becomes a thick brown liquid.

kthxbye.

Edited by Tek-Almighty

*cough!*

I've seen enough electronic equipment (including several HW-101s for any Amateur Radio ops out there) that has resided with smokers for anywhere from a year or so to decades, and while they all ran to some degree they ALL had the cigarette smell. Perhaps there's enough moisture in the air? Regardless, it's hard to argue against the yellow haze built up on the exterior of these electronics packages. Perhaps frequent cleaning may prevent that from being an issue?

Edited by appalachian_fox