Build X a Computer

Xterminator

If you recal a few months ago you all helped NickSoapDish build a comp. I was wondering if you'd all help me. I'm the first to admit i dont have a lot of knowledge on products these days and what's better than what. I'm willing to spend about $2000(CDN)....so thats like a Million american (i've always wanted to use that joke). I just want a fast reliable computer that is as new as possible. It will obviously be for gaming but for other stuff as well.

I'm just looking for a Tower build. Dont need monitor, mouse, keyboard, headphones, mic or all that other stuff.

Gimme everything else.

you may commence with the arguing......once you've all agreed on something i'll try to update the 1st post on what we have decided on.

Here's what I'd buy with $2000:

1 x eVGA 680i SLi motherboard

1 x Q6600 C2D CPU

1 x eVGA 8800GTX

2 x WD 150GB Raptors for Raid 0 (or just 1 drive)

1 x WD 500GB SATA II HDD (storage)

4 x 1GB DDR2-800 OCZ RAM (Gold, Platinum, whatever)

1 x Antec 900 (deal on right now), or a Tt Armour

1 x Creative Platinum Soundcard with front panel

2 x DVD Burners (they're cheap!)

1 x Tt Typhoon (or something similar)

1 x 800W Enermax PSU (Liberty?)

Just off the top of my head. I'm guessing you would prefer Canadian links eh? I buy almost all my stuff from NCIX (www.ncix.com) since you dont pay PST (I'm from Ontario!)

Someone will yell at me for saying a mobo that doesnt support 1333 fsb but I dont care. I dont really see the difference in performance, and yeah, maybe I AM blind. Dont waste money on ram faster than the 800 stuff though.

Edited by DarkArchon

Here's what I'd buy with $2000:

1 x eVGA 680i SLi motherboard

1 x Q6600 C2D CPU

1 x eVGA 8800GTX

2 x WD 150GB Raptors (or 1)

1 x WD 500GB SATA II HDD

4 x 1GB DDR2-800 OCZ RAM (Gold, Platinum, whatever)

1 x Antec 900 (deal on right now), or a Tt Armour

1 x Creative Platinum Soundcard with front panel

2 x DVD Burners (they're cheap!)

1 x Tt Typhoon (or something similar)

1 x 800W Enermax PSU

Just off the top of my head. I'm guessing you would prefer Canadian links eh? I buy almost all my stuff from NCIX (www.ncix.com) since you dont pay PST (I'm from Ontario!)

you've just gone and copied and pasted my config in here :P haha.

i'll post up later with a recommended setup.

shrank this down so it's readable all on one page. i know it's a bit over budget but honestly it's a perfect system. if you need more space swap the hard drive for a wd5000aaks. 500gb hard drive.

sweetsystemgy4.jpg

Edited by Cujo

LOL - I just went off the top of my head! 1/2 of the things I actually own, like the mobo. (I love it too!) I'd buy an 8800GT before a 3870 though, personally. But then again you cant find em ;)

I'd also save some moula on that case. Yeah it's nice, but meh, I think it's too $$$$.

LOL - I just went off the top of my head! 1/2 of the things I actually own, like the mobo. (I love it too!) I'd buy an 8800GT before a 3870 though, personally. But then again you cant find em ;)

I'd also save some moula on that case. Yeah it's nice, but meh, I think it's too $$$$.

part of the reason i went amd. that and their driver support has proved far better than nvidia's.

ya you could swap the case with the antec 900 and you'd be well under $2000. i mostly picked the stacker cause i thought i had money to spare plus i like big cases. i do have 6 hard drives and an oversized psu so that could be part of the reason. also, bigger cases are much easier to work inside.

part of the reason i went amd. that and their driver support has proved far better than nvidia's.

ya you could swap the case with the antec 900 and you'd be well under $2000. i mostly picked the stacker cause i thought i had money to spare plus i like big cases. i do have 6 hard drives and an oversized psu so that could be part of the reason. also, bigger cases are much easier to work inside.

Wait, you bought one?

And I agree about the bigger case. I have the black armour and it's easy to work with. Dont even have to unplug it away from teh wall and you can take parts out :)

Wait, you bought one?

i meant for the system quote i made up. :P i'm hoping i'll be able to sell this gtx for the same price as the x2 3870 is gonna be. or maybe a little bit less. i just want to get back with amd as i can't stand the nvidia driver. plus amd has that sick new oc'ing system.

Here is one for sale that is a little over your budget but boy is it nice and already built:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1221...hlight=quad+sli

I use that forum for a lot of my purchases and you can get quite a savings - most items from the folks there come in original boxes with receipts.

I just got an Asus Striker Extreme for $200 - $110 savings from Newegg and Ebay prices.

I read that last night... I was hoping you wouldnt see it :P

I cant go crossfire (without too much headache) with my sli board, and the 8800GT is unavailable basically, or would cost almost $600 even if I could get 2. Seems like $400 for a gtx would make most sense in my situation for a > GTS card performance at a decent(not uber-expensive) price.

Edit: I think that's a good move for ati, cause it'll get them sales. Having cards close to the gt but getting beat out by it pretty good doenst make too much sense to me. You gotta give some price to make some sales then.

Post Edit: linky I just read that... now I am curious as to if I should be waiting until the 12th-14th to see if I can get better than a gtx for the same price or less... hmmm....

Post Post Edit: found an 8800GTS 640mb on NCIX for 295 with rebate that has 112 SP and outperforms the GT at higher resolutions (1600+) and is at least as good with the lower resolutions. I think I may grab this if there are some left after this weekend actually. I can always do the step-up after if I really think I should. This looks like a really good deal.

Edited by DarkArchon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
(edited)

So i've been doin a bit of research with my bro over the last little while. Recently techreport released their Christmas 2008 system guide. This is the one i'm looking at. It's a good start, we might change out a few things but we'll see:

Sweeter Spot

The complete article can be found here:

TR's Christmas 2008 system guide Recommendations for building the right enthusiast's PCs

if for some reason the link doesnt open, here's the system:

comp.bmp

Edited by Xterminator

I like the list here with a few changes.

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15941/8

I would replace the video card without a doubt with the 4870 X2. The reason being is that it is still within your budget and it is the most future proof video card you can buy right now. It is an amazing card.

I did not know that Asus had their own line of sound cards and am curious about the quality and driver support. Anyone else heard about these?

Take a look at this cart. Matches your amount +2 bucks. You can save off a few by removing one of the hard drives if you really wanted. The combo deal for the vid card and power supply is perfect IMO.

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Shoppi...02,Combo.142634

Edited by ZeroDamage

Thanks for the input ZD, really appreciate it.

My brother is a huge tech freak so he knows more about this than me. He's been reading up on the new i7 and he gave me a reason why not to get it but I forgot why, said it wasn't worth it quite yet....anyone know anything about this? pro's/con's?

(edited)

I also endorse ZD's cart. I will also give another endorsement to the P182 case. Fantastic case, oh-so-quiet and imo minimalist-sexy. Cable management was great, airflow was great. I highly recommend modular PSUs for it though to cut down on the clutter in the lower chamber. I had a P180 in silver for my beast that I sold a little over a year ago. Of all the things I miss from that computer, I miss the case the most. If/when I ever expand from my laptop and build another gaming computer, it will have that case.

Several items in that "cart" may be overkill for now, but it should definitely have some legs for you.

Edited by boiler