Purchase Decision

Saris

Hey.

Long story short, I've been burning through razor blades because there's no pressure from my taps at my new house and they're really expensive, so I was considering getting an electric shaver because I'm under the impression that it cleans itself better. But everyone keeps telling me that they suck. But one razor blade is $3.50 and I toss one out at least once a week, so I need some kind of solution, even if it's downgrading to those .99 bic disposables.

Any suggestions/help?

I've been shaving with an electric (Philips) razor for almost a decade, no problems here. You do have to be man enough to take the burn for the first couple of weeks while your skin adjusts...and they don't get as close as a five bladed joke that most razors are today, but unless you buy a really cheap one (I highly recommend Philips) they do a perfectly good job for a daily razor...they're also muuuuuch faster, safer, more hygenic and don't pollute nearly as much

I've also been using an electric razor for probably ten years now. If you realize that it's an investment you must make up front then you'll be fine. Don't skimp, buy a good one.

Also, you have to realize it takes time for your skin to adjust to this new method. Most people that try electric razors say they suck because they don't give it enough time and they feel they aren't getting a close enough shave. It's true that it won't be close enough in the beginning (unless you go over and over the same patches) but when you adjust it'll be much better. It takes me less than 30 seconds to shave every morning.

I've also been using an electric razor for probably ten years now. If you realize that it's an investment you must make up front then you'll be fine. Don't skimp, buy a good one.

Also, you have to realize it takes time for your skin to adjust to this new method. Most people that try electric razors say they suck because they don't give it enough time and they feel they aren't getting a close enough shave. It's true that it won't be close enough in the beginning (unless you go over and over the same patches) but when you adjust it'll be much better. It takes me less than 30 seconds to shave every morning.

I just recently got a new razor, it has three razor heads in each pod (most of philips have the trinity of razor pods) instead of the standard one and it shaves sooooo much faster and closer than my old one...

I also hear the ones that take the shaving lotion and are waterproof are even faster and closer than dry razors

I have never had any luck with electrics....but the ones I have tried have been $75 or less...I would guess if you are to get one that works...you gotta for the ones that are $100 or more. As far as the low water psi thing...I have the same issue so I just fill the sink 1/2 way, plug it, and swish the razor vigorously and it gets cleaner than using high psi faucet water. I have been using the 4 bladed Fusion....GREAT razor, I have very sensitive skin to shaving and this is the first razor I have had that allows me to shave every 2 days, nothing can let me do everyday, but the rest out there tear me up so bad that I cant shave for 3 to 4 days. Electrics were surprisingly hard on me too, I originally tried them because I thought they would be easier.

IMO i bought a ~200 razor, well wife did for christmas one year, i gave it the ole college try for 30 days likes Im supposed to, but in the end a. couldnt get close for the goatee - so needed to trim anyways, b. the neck area! no matter what i did or which direction i tried to shave it didnt work.

id say we are all unique so not one method will work for all, but i do keep it on the bathroom sink still and use it for those - oh no gotta leave in 5 mins type situations.

To be fair, I would say that most electric razor heads I have seen are poor at getting in close to beards and mustaches. If you get a razor that has a little flip-up trimmer as well, you're probably good to go. I do have a seperate beard trimmer that I use though (mainly because my electric razor is cheap and doesn't do the best job but it works in the end).

Mags, get me a deal too man...I've needed a new razor for like 2 years now. My current one is to the point where it won't even recharge...it has to be plugged in to work.

I'm not sure if we have Remington's up here, or at least, I've never seen one. Thanks for the offer, though.

I'm definitely going to buy a high price one. I'm not a stickler for a close shave, since I feel I look better with a little stubble and of course, there's no amount of burn I can't take! >:)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I've decided to get one.

i have a Phillips Norelco... just got it for CMAS.. true it is much faster.. but the shave isn't as close. I know you probaly think i dont got much in the way of facial hair growth but i grow back every couple days or so... so i use it a good amount. Easy to clean.. fast and good shave.

more cost effective in the long run for sure.

i use a combination of a remington trimmer and a remington electric razor and between the two my beard stays nice and face stays smooth.. i think i got the trim kit for 20$ and it's rechargeable the razor was 70 when i got it

Edited by Windex

Woot.com ftw!!

http://www.woot.com/

Amazing the timing..I think woot can read minds.

dude, I am really really tempted to pick that one up. Not sure how they can only ask $20 for it though, is it not a very good model?

Looks like a ...err... how do I make this GC appropriate? A Mac...yes...it looks like a Mac (this thread was missing something, I knew it!)

I've had a Norelco electric razor (the blue wet/dry one with the lotion) for several years now (almost 10). Like said before, your skin will take a little time to adjust. For me, it's not as close as a Mach or Sensor, but it's close enough. I've even taken to shave my head with it when I've been too lazy to do it proper with the razor blade. I've probably needed to replace the blades in the electric razor for a few years now, but it still works great. It's not self-cleaning so there is that. A friend of mine has one of the Braun self-cleaning razors and loves it.