how many dead pixels are you living with?

bushwack

Hehe, I used to pull out a Kimwipe (screen cleaning wipe) right in front of them when they did it. Then I'd hand them a pencil or pen and tell them to point at things with it instead.

I have actually done this as well. :freak3:

I think there's something wrong with me....

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe, I used to pull out a Kimwipe (screen cleaning wipe) right in front of them when they did it. Then I'd hand them a pencil or pen and tell them to point at things with it instead.

imho, a pen will do a lot more damage than a finger... :D

I'm going to hold off on sending the monitor for replacement. I'd really like to try to get a used Sony GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT. Thinking about getting the HP version from off of ebay, been doing research on these monitors. Nice starter here.

Might pick up one of CRTs and give the Asus to the kids once it's back from repair.

(edited)
I'm going to hold off on sending the monitor for replacement. I'd really like to try to get a used Sony GDM-FW900 24" widescreen CRT. Thinking about getting the HP version from off of ebay, been doing research on these monitors. Nice starter here.

Might pick up one of CRTs and give the Asus to the kids once it's back from repair.

that monitor looks AWESOME. for me it would have to do 100hz at 1920x1200 as anything less than 100hz irritates my eyes. please let me know if you get it and what refresh it does at that res. i might seriously consider that. damn, i wish i knew about it before today.

edit - after extensively searching that thread it appears the max refresh rate at 1920 is 95hz. darn no 100hz for me. still it's really tempting. other problem is the cheaper ones on e-bay are local pickup and the nearest is in new jersey. there is only 1 available to me in canada and it's over $600...

Edited by Cujo

that monitor looks AWESOME. for me it would have to do 100hz at 1920x1200 as anything less than 100hz irritates my eyes. please let me know if you get it and what refresh it does at that res. i might seriously consider that. damn, i wish i knew about it before today.

edit - after extensively searching that thread it appears the max refresh rate at 1920 is 95hz. darn no 100hz for me. still it's really tempting. other problem is the cheaper ones on e-bay are local pickup and the nearest is in new jersey. there is only 1 available to me in canada and it's over $600...

Oh boy those CRTs are hard to find...I know a few people here at work have been trying to get one for a while. Nobody wants to ship it to Canada...go figure.

imho, a pen will do a lot more damage than a finger... :D

Well, I'd have them use the clicky end and told them to just point and not actually touch. I mean, my gawd, I'm sitting right there I don't need a road map to the pixel they're referring to.

Just curious do any of you have special cleaners that you use to clean your screen?

I initially was using an eyeglass cleaning cloth (chamios i believe) but as i found out that's not enough. Something as simple as water used in conjunction with the chamois removed all my dead pixels. Spit FTW!

my dell screen is ridiculous. it doesn't attract dust! i've only ever once had to clean it due to finger prints from me wiping off sneeze residue. no idea why it doesn't get dusty but i like it. my mom's dell lcd gets super dusty though. maybe i have mine on a slight downward angle...

Bush, you'll never live this down.

Like that one time you attacked our primary in a TWL match?

LOL I had forgotten all about that!

It was just soooo open and sitting there, no one was around, but there was some stupid glitch because it wasn't taking damage!!! Heh, and that ends up being my best map (crossfire) after all that. :P

So to answer your question: yes, just like that.

my dell screen is ridiculous. it doesn't attract dust! i've only ever once had to clean it due to finger prints from me wiping off sneeze residue. no idea why it doesn't get dusty but i like it. my mom's dell lcd gets super dusty though. maybe i have mine on a slight downward angle...

Hmmm...probably a grounding thing. How beast is your power distribution (power bar)? If you have a really serious power bar all your grounds are grounding out properly and dust shouldn't be quite as attracted to your screen where as most people are probably experiencing some form of ground loop (me included) which causes dust to stick to screens like you wouldn't believe (but everyone will).

Or...do you have carpet where your computer is? If not, that's another reason...just the lack of static build up (I have to touch something grounded every few minutes as I'm a static magnet...touch my car in the mornings and I get electrocuted...don't ask me how I've been in the AV business so long...)

Just curious do any of you have special cleaners that you use to clean your screen?

I initially was using an eyeglass cleaning cloth (chamios i believe) but as i found out that's not enough. Something as simple as water used in conjunction with the chamois removed all my dead pixels. Spit FTW!

i'll try the same. i'm just trying to get off sneeze/finger prints

my mom's monitor is on the same model/age power bar as mine are. my room is carpeted. lcd's don't build up static the same as crts.

btw, i do cover my mouth when i sneeze but i have a lot of saliva.