how many dead pixels are you living with?

bushwack

I bought a new Asus 22" LCD monitor about 4-5 months. I got a new contact prescription and now I notice I have over 10 dark pixels littered across my screen. Really I only notice them on solid white backgrounds. Sometimes I can't see them even when looking but when I spot them they stick out like they're 3D or something.

Is this normal to live with? Should I spend $30 shipping the thing off only to get one back that could be worse? When shopping for a new monitor I wish I knew the Sony GDM-FW900 existed.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have 1 but the pixels on my monitor are so small i don't even notice it. for sure 10 is covered under warranty so i would send that back.

I imagine my pixels are the same size as yours, lower rez but smaller panel. In reality I noticed one because I had my contacts out and my face was 5" away from the screen. I didn't notice all the others till I started looking. I had a couple of bright pixels show up before but I did the rub trick and they went away. Seems you can't wake up the dead though.

1 year 4 months for my Dell 2407 24" - 0 dead pixels.

I'd send it back. I think my guarantee is anything over 4 is covered.

Curses! Cujo and Wentz recommended Asus. Don't take advice from the two jokers, they smell of elderberries!

1 year 4 months for my Dell 2407 24" - 0 dead pixels.

I'd send it back. I think my guarantee is anything over 4 is covered.

Curses! Cujo and Wentz recommended Asus. Don't take advice from the two jokers, they smell of elderberries!

LOL! Even better advice: always listen to wentz, then make sure you dont do that thing.

I heard (can't confirm though) that if it's just a "stuck" pixel, there's a massaging method you can do to try and "unstuck" it.

I can confirm that it does indeed work although I never got it to work forever.

By that I mean that I had a refurbished Acer 24" from woot.com (for $189 even) that came with 5 "stuck" pixels.

If I "massaged" them (i.e. roll the tip of my finger in a circular motion over them) they would unstick but come back within a few weeks.

For reference sake, a dead pixel is dark on a light background and is unfixable by you. A stuck pixel is blue, red, green or white on a dark background and is easy to temporarily fix.

I have an Acer 24" with no dead pixels. I had the perfect comic about dead pixels but I can't find it anymore! (doh)

Usually the acceptable number of pixels on a panel with about 1,000,000 pixels is 6-8 according to most manufacturers. For 2.3m pixels it's 10-14. I hate this but luckily most LCDs don't have such a big problem with dead pixels anymore (I haven't seen a dead pixel out of the box in years).

Stuck pixels are a whole different ballgame. Some manufacturers consider stuck pixels a defect and will replace the panel and some will simply repair it and even some won't care unless it's more than 10.

I watched one of my clients grab his laptop by the panel this morning with his thumb on the screen (putting considerable pressure on the LCD). When he removed his thumb the area was all red and green pixels. I literally high-tailed it out of there before he noticed...that is probably the last thing I wanted to deal with this morning.

Nothing annoys me more than when someone is doing something on my computer and they show me something on the screen by physically touching the monitor. I was this way even when I was using CRTs but with LCDs it's esp. bad because of the oil on your fingers.

Nothing annoys me more than when someone is doing something on my computer and they show me something on the screen by physically touching the monitor. I was this way even when I was using CRTs but with LCDs it's esp. bad because of the oil on your fingers.

I have snapped rather bluntly at people who do this. I'm not kidding, I don't know why I am so anal about people touching the LCD, but it drives me INSANE.