how many dead pixels are you living with?

bushwack

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my mom's monitor is on the same model/age power bar as mine are. my room is carpeted. lcd's don't build up static the same as crts.

btw, i do cover my mouth when i sneeze but i have a lot of saliva.

Perhaps a bit to much info my friend. Who are you sitting next to at FF this year?

Shaftiel

Just curious do any of you have special cleaners that you use to clean your screen?

I initially was using an eyeglass cleaning cloth (chamios i believe) but as i found out that's not enough. Something as simple as water used in conjunction with the chamois removed all my dead pixels. Spit FTW!

i'll try the same. i'm just trying to get off sneeze/finger prints

You might try a solution of 50% water and 50% alcohol. Some people use strait up alcohol and other use windex but some say that's to harsh. Next time I clean my monitor i'll go with the homemade 50/50 solution and a chamois, im cheap like that.

These "dead pixel policies" on sites have me nervous. I bought a 19" LCD from Newegg a few years back, and there were none. But there could be 7 dead pixels right in the center, and Newegg wouldn't do a thing? Same thing with a lot of other online retailers.

If I were to buy an LCD these days, it'd almost be worth paying a little extra to get one from a Brick + Mortar store like (gasp!) Best Buy or Circuit City.

These "dead pixel policies" on sites have me nervous. I bought a 19" LCD from Newegg a few years back, and there were none. But there could be 7 dead pixels right in the center, and Newegg wouldn't do a thing? Same thing with a lot of other online retailers.

If I were to buy an LCD these days, it'd almost be worth paying a little extra to get one from a Brick + Mortar store like (gasp!) Best Buy or Circuit City.

Actually many stores (I say stores, as in physical locations) will let you swap a panel with even a single stuck pixel. I know TigerDirect will let you do it twice (at least they let me do it twice) on the same panel.

Now it's probably somewhat different when dealing with a purely online retailer. Generally smaller panels (5:4 panels, 17", 19", 21") are pretty good about not having dead/stuck pixels. In my experience it is only when you get to 1680x1050 and up do you start seeing panels with stuck pixels out of the box.

(edited)

returned my 28" three times..

1) stuck pixels wouldnt come unstuck

2) horrible color bleeding

3) did not work out of the box

4) works perfectly

Somewhere in the mix HannsG quit making 28"'s and the got in the new Hannspree with component in and another hdmi port, with an easier input selector on the size. Although they broke the power saving function on the monitor.

Edited by NOFX

(edited)
returned my 28" three times..

1) stuck pixels wouldnt come unstuck

2) horrible color bleeding

3) did not work out of the box

4) works perfectly

Somewhere in the mix HannsG quit making 28"'s and the got in the new Hannspree with component in and another hdmi port, with an easier input selector on the size. Although they broke the power saving function on the monitor.

Dweez mentioned he was thinking about pickign up one of these monitors in another thread ask me about this fiasco I went through, so I'll explain..

1) The first HannsG I had for about 3 weeks and one night I saw 2 stuck pixels.. I should have just kept this monitor. It was perfectly fine and Im sure the pixels would have come unstuck eventually, but I took it back anyway

2) Was an open box item that had seen many many many hours of use. It did look a little dark.. AFter owning it for two weeks, I noticed someone had put the brightness and contrast down, so when I set it to factory settings. I was like wow, this is much brighter.. and wow.. this looks really washed out. So I took her back

3) a Hanspree now 28" Dead out of the box.. This one is the only manufacturers true fault

4) Perfectly working Hanspree 28" This one is a little brighter, has a better contrast ratio and you does better from viewing at an angle.. but like I said. The manufactor messed up the power saving feature on this screen. Like most monitors it has an orange light. It does turn on like the HannsG after X amount of minutes. The only way it will is if the computer is turned off or I change the input. This is a known problem on the internets.. It doesn't bother me thought, I just turn the screen off.

and yes that is CS running in Wine. I must say it doesn't run like you would think. On my 8800gtx with everything on medium at 1280x720, it still drops down to 30fps.

Edited by NOFX

and yes that is CS running in Wine. I must say it doesn't run like you would think. On my 8800gtx with everything on medium at 1280x720, it still drops down to 30fps.

Ouch! My 7600GS 512 runs my 24" at 1920x1200 with everything medium (AA + AF off) and I average 60fps (cap it at 85)...not a great comparison considering you're running under wine but it still seems low.

(edited)

no not a great comparison because in windows everything on high 1920x1080, I don't remember what the low was, but I know it was stuck on like 299 fps when sitting in spawn.

EDIT* With that being said, I seriously doubt you would see any less fps than me if you ran cs with a 7600gs with wine. The bottleneck is communications between X and the video card. Not the video card itself.

Edited by NOFX

no not a great comparison because in windows everything on high 1920x1080, I don't remember what the low was, but I know it was stuck on like 299 fps when sitting in spawn.

EDIT* With that being said, I seriously doubt you would see any less fps than me if you ran cs with a 7600gs with wine. The bottleneck is communications between X and the video card. Not the video card itself.

Yeah I guess I was slightly asking how it ran in windows for you...don't forget that GC promotes no wining :D

But evidently spelling is optional.

oh snap!

Eh? You guys didn't catch the joke? He's running it with WINE... hence "WINE-ing", or "wining". :P

looks too much liking winning though hence why his joke failed

oh snap!

Eh? You guys didn't catch the joke? He's running it with WINE... hence "WINE-ing", or "wining". :P

Just because a joke wasn't read carefully doesn't mean it failed. :) I thought it was funny.

oh snap!

Just because a joke wasn't read carefully doesn't mean it failed. :) I thought it was funny.

I caught the joke, but only found it mildly humorous. (fyi, firefox thinks the word "humourous" isn't spelled correctly. Take that, Brits and Canadians!)

oh snap!

I caught the joke, but only found it mildly humorous. (fyi, firefox thinks the word "humourous" isn't spelled correctly. Take that, Brits and Canadians!)

Firefox is wrong. Take that, Americans!