ASUS Eee PC Linux Laptop

Shazz

Dell has one that is only $350. I think it has a better screen also. http://bigtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/...a-small-laptop/

For my uses, these are the perfect laptops. I use a laptop for mobile Pcing. You can compile, browse the net, buy crap, write emails, pretty much do anything you want other than game.

I've never liked the idea of trying to squeeze all the gaming hardware into a 10 lb laptop.. because then its not really a laptop or mobile PC anymore. Basically a computer with a built in screen and keyboard and a real pain to carry around. With that said, what is the point of buying any type of laptop that fits in between ultra-light and gaming? You just get alot of weight and your not able to game. The weight/performance ratio doesn't fit the bill. An ulta-light weight laptop can perform the same tasks as any other laptop (until you get into the gaming class).

In a perfect world I would have a lightning-fast gaming uber-rig at home, a comparably fast business machine at work, and something like that Dell NOFX mentioned for my mobile computing needs. Unfortunately, I don't have the money for two "personal" computers, and my line of work requires that I work at home, in the office, and occasionally on the road. This requires a high(ish)-end system to run Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Premier, After Affects, etc. that is also mobile (and can also game at a semi-respectable level). I love the power packed into my 17" beast, I'm not so enamored with the travel size. Unfortunately a lot of people have to make this trade-off, which is where the mid-sized and over-sized laptop scene fits.

That said, the screen size on the Eee PC might bother me after extended use. I'd have to play around with one in person to find out though I guess.

I have an Eee PC 2G Surf at home--it's pretty wicked.

I bought it to use with MagicJack to run my home phone. That means it runs nearly 24/7 (only turn it off when we're away on trips), and so far it works great. It boots really fast, and runs everything it's supposed to perfectly.

You can use the SD card slot to expand the memory and what not, so the 2G works fine for us. It's tiny, and it's durable--with shock resistant innards. It takes a little getting used to to type on the thing, but it's not too terrible.

I also installed XP on it, and it's updated and works just fine. We bought this because it has no moving parts and has lots of ports on it (unlike certain competitors that shall remain nameless). So far it has been fantastic. I wouldn't want to try a game on it though...unless it was a game like Master of Orion II that was DOS/WIN95.... :)

We bought this because it has no moving parts and has lots of ports on it (unlike certain competitors that shall remain nameless).

a friend of mine has the air and it's useless.

yes anon, a friend of mine works at rbc and has been tryin to get me to switch for a while. when i heard about this deal i figured it was meant to be.

My perfect scenario is:

a high-powered rig at home that can game, photoshop, encode with a built in tv tuner card and a a 28" monitor.

A business machine for work, nothing fancy just a fast CPU and dual 19" screens.

A small portable lightweight wide screen laptop under 4lbs w/ good screen resolution for the road.

I guess I would also take a media center PC downstairs on the 56" big screen.. Would be nice for hulu, divx movies and just browsing the net from the couch..

oh wait I the perfect setup :)

I just want a voice activated robot that will bring me food, is that too much to ask.

I thought you were already married? :stretch:

Dude that is low...that's why we have kids.

And it's also why I'm single! :biglaugha:

Nah, I just saw preacher left the door open and couldn't pass it up.

yes anon, a friend of mine works at rbc and has been tryin to get me to switch for a while. when i heard about this deal i figured it was meant to be.

When I checked it out last February it was a scam ($50,000 min balance, ridiculously low interest and higher than tolerable fees) but I assume you didn't have to sign on for any of that. I'm in the market for a savings account lately so I guess I'll check it out again.

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=206529449

Thoughts??

They are only $300.00 plus they boot up and are running in less than 15 sec.. Lots of positive remarks.

Anyone had any experience with these little things? And do you think it would be worth it?

bought the day it was released 4gsurf 701

love it - keyboard is small - screen is small - replaced 512mb with 2gb ram 1st off as well as added a 16gb sdhc

coupled with ev-do usb dongle (sprint/sierra wireless 140kb/sec unlimited data only), it does exactly what i intended it for - remoting in to my systems via vnc or ssh as well as 'normal' vpn useage

it just happens to play video/mp3's/GPS and a bunch of other things i didnt intend on using it for - currently installed OS is mandriva w/o hacks - ive probably loaded/tested 10 *nix os's but never xp via nlite

between ubuntu and mandriva i havent strayed far in the past 4 months - ghosting (www.sysresccd.org) a 4gb hdd to a 16GB stick makes things simple as pie (10min backup 5 min restore) if you want to test something out

I usually put a live cd onto a different usb stick (not too difficult once you get the hang of it) and install from there as there is no built in cd/dvd - or just use an external usb cd/dvd rom