Windows 7 Beta

Lunk

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well it wont install to vmware, but at least i managed to get the iso. here's to hoping 2.5m serials haven't been issued...

turns out the image was about a gig smaller than it should be :D

guess i didn't get the iso. at least not all of it...

4.3gb, full dvd iso. it looks like it was the christmas leak, which is the same build as the public beta and msdn beta.

Ok so where are you downloading the 4.3gb from?

My installation on my laptop is almost complete. It's preparing my desktop atm. Should be using it in a few minutes.

still not getting the entire 4.3 from anywhere. Anyone have the link or are there none working at the moment?

It is not 4.3 GB. I got two downloads from two trusted sources and the 64-bit ISO is 3.2 GB.

Edited by ZeroDamage

(edited)

getting it from phaze through rapid share. I hope--lol

13 .rar files might want to use fire fox for here...http://dl.phazeddl.com/1362039/Microsoft_Windows_7_Beta_1/

Each file is 200mb

www.mininova.org also has it in the software section---3.5gb

Edited by Primus

I am currently using Windows 7. Video and sound drivers are a no-go from the start. Networking works right away which is a plus. IE8 is the default browser. The forum rank pictures do not display here in the forums at all.

WAIT: Windows Update just worked by itself and it found drivers for my missing components. That is a plus. Rebooting.

Vista drivers installed without a hitch. How about that eh? Didn't even ask for a reboot because Windows Update already installed the drivers. Just added the Catalyst icon to my task tray. The way the task tray works is great. Every icon has it's own configuration so you can have it hide or always show up, etc.

Here is what the default desktop looks like and as you can see, Steam runs too. It asks you to install the Steam service in order to run properly.

steam_win7.png

Edited by ZeroDamage

IE8 is still junk. Firefox works fine and all of the icons and the like show properly on the forums. It is an IE8 problem. So far, I am really liking Win7. I am now waiting for drivers for my Merc Zboard keyboard to download.

By the way, you will not getting annoying pop-ups about security software but there is an icon and if you choose the option to find security software for your computer, it takes you here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/antivirus.../windows-7.aspx

Just played some CSS and it works just fine. As good as Vista or better. I have NOT tweaked Windows 7 Beta at all and it boots faster than XP and runs just as quickly as XP. This is with Windows Defender still enabled. The UAC or User Account Control isn't nearly as annoying as Vista. It actually isn't annoying at all. It only comes up when you are doing something that makes changes to the system and it doesn't over ride your system like it does on Vista. It pops up like a normal pop-up and the Taskbar shows it as a large Shield. I can maybe foresee this being phished or spoofed by malware in the future but currently eveything works as planned.

I am having some sound issues but they are no different than the sound issues I had with Vista and the default Creative drivers.

I am downloading Daniel_K's custom drivers that I use on Vista and they will hopefully fix the problem. They are for Vista but all Vista drivers that I've tried so far have worked without an issue.

I am getting them from here: http://digiex.net/drivers/164-creative-aud...s-daniel_k.html

windows 7 is my new primary os. now that i have sound working i will not be going back ever.

It is my new gaming system OS.

Still not going to replace my every day Ubuntu system but as a gaming OS, it blows Vista out of the water. Those drivers I listed above for sound fixed everything.