Windows 7 Beta

Lunk

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On another note: I purchased a Maxtor 1TB Central Axis Server yesterday. What a DUD, wouldn't work out of the box, setup kept failing, firmware update failed. What a POS. Now I've got to find another backup device, because my old NAS died. Guess I'll have to go with a USB or FireWire setup.

I've heard A LOT of great things about drobo:

http://www.drobo.com/Products/drobo.html

kinda breezed through most of the comments and i'll just post some thoughts now.

this release is more stable than vista. it's easily as fast as xp. those worried about switching from vista or xp shouldn't be. i've seen no reason not to switch and no reason to go back to either. support will only get better. the best part is it's free.

xfi drivers are working perfectly by simply installing from device manager. using the latest dec. 17th release btw.

i've got it installed on a separate raptor drive. i would never upgrade and dual boot is mostly foreign to me.

not sure about the antivirus list but nod32 is working perfectly.

as far as what else i like in 7. the snip tool is AWESOME! used it several times now. the window organization at the bottom is similar to mac but i think a step above. the system recognized my multi monitor by default. all i had to do was swap sides. i've left uac on at this point as it hardly ever intrudes and when it does it's just one click to pass it. aeroglass doesn't disappear during gaming meaning alt-tabs are seamless.

at this point the only thing not working is my scanner but i haven't tried much yet. also daemon tools isn't working but i expect that won't be for long.

The Snip Tool is sort of like doing Command+Shift+4 on the Mac. The difference is that you can immediately "ink" in the captured area before you save the screen captured zone.

what does that mean? you can "ink" in the captured area?

no more print screen. snip allows you to select an area of the screen and save as a pic. default is png which is cool. one click, highlight, save as. it's that easy. works similar to cropping in picasa in that the desktop fades and the area you select shows in full colour.

Windows 7 is the official name. It is called Windows 7 because it is the 7th version of windows. They will be using version numbers for the rest of their releases... no more numbers, just version numbers.

I have found one piece of software that does not work with Windows 7. The Cisco VPN software... if you install it; you will blue screen.

(edited)

well, I downloaded it and replaced my XP build. I immediately set it to the classic view.. Other than some UI changes, I see not noticable difference between this and XP. The only plus I can think of so far is that it can see more than 3.5 gigs of ram...

a side note: I'm a minimalist and power user, so I care less about nifty little tricks and cool UI options. But whatever, I guess it's time to jump on the bandwagon.... and there is also the immediate pain in the rear of asking me if I'm sure I want to run everything. This is great for noobs, but not for professionals.. Also I gotta figure out how to get my quick launch back

Edited by .fx

Just intalled this morning. I have run into the problem of AVG service not starting. Not sure if this is an issue with this yet or not still looking into it. The wife is using AVG 8 on vista and it works fine. Any one else run into software issues of any importance?

well, I downloaded it and replaced my XP build. I immediately set it to the classic view.. Other than some UI changes, I see not noticable difference between this and XP. The only plus I can think of so far is that it can see more than 3.5 gigs of ram...

a side note: I'm a minimalist and power user, so I care less about nifty little tricks and cool UI options. But whatever, I guess it's time to jump on the bandwagon.... and there is also the immediate pain in the rear of asking me if I'm sure I want to run everything. This is great for noobs, but not for professionals.. Also I gotta figure out how to get my quick launch back

I would really suggest not doing that. Eventually classic view is no longer being supported and by doing so you are essentially disabling all of the new features.

Also I gotta figure out how to get my quick launch back

That's what I was thinking, guess I could start using icons on the desktop...The thing is, if I'm actually using the computer I never see the desktop. :blink:

Edited by bushwack

Also I gotta figure out how to get my quick launch back

That's what I was thinking, guess I could start using icons on the desktop...The thing is, if I'm actually using the computer I never see the desktop. :blink:

What I do is put the icons on the desktop that I want, then enable the "Desktop" toolbar. It creates a drop down menu of all your desktop icons. Much more space efficient and useful. Give it a try.

when you first make it, it will be on the right and won't look very good. If you drag it to the left it will snap beside the start button, then you shrink it up and it looks good. Here is a picture of my desktop....

desktoptoolbar.jpg

Edited by JordanRinke

Ok, I have seen some people say it looks like XP but I see Vista. just started using it on a dual boot. I have come across the problem of Punk Buster. From what I have read, not compatible with 7 yet. Understandable at this point. Ergo---COD4 won't let me play multiplayer as of yet. I think I'll keep my games on XP for now anyways.

Gonna install all my software and tools on 7 and see how that goes. It does seem to run pretty good for now other than the obvious beta glitches but thats why its a beta.

Well I wanted to be part of the cool kids but when I went to upgrade it said my scsi controler wouldn't work with the upgrade so I guess I'll have to go with a clean install :(.

I usually prefer this but I have a few things that are less than legal licensed so I would have to find them again lol

I would really suggest not doing that. Eventually classic view is no longer being supported and by doing so you are essentially disabling all of the new features.

what in the world are you talking about? What new features are being disable? If it is the funny task bar and slick UI animation, I set it to classic to disable so I don't have to look at them.

So these beta versions are going to be disabled on August 1st I hear... I see this as a great marketing ploy to get you hooked in and comfortable and then 8 months later make you enter your credit card for a couple hundred bucks or you won't get your data back.. It's a brilliant scheme.

In all honesty, Windows XP works exactly the same as this. All I want is a desktop, taskbar, mouse and to be able to execute programs written for the NT kernel.. Both of them offer this. I care less about UI eye-candy. The only plus I see to using this is that it can see more RAM.

I also dislike having the minimize all windows on the far right... they put it on the left for XP.. which I've been using for 8 years and then decide to put it on the right. Bravo...

Wow, bunch of babies. I am surprised some of you aren't still using Windows 98. You know, those new features and stuff of XP must have been so painful to deal with. What's one to do without Net Meeting anyway. Suicide?

Maybe using Mac OS got me used to the UI changes on Windows 7. It probably would have annoyed me too but I do not miss the quick launch. I basically get that with the new launchbar thing but a bit more useful. Try running Vista with everyone at default the way you installed it. Keep UAC and Windows Defender running. Leave all of that crap running and try using it for day to day operations and see how well it runs. You can do that with Windows 7. Even with Vista tweaked the hell out it still runs like garbage.