Windows 7 Beta

Lunk

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What value do you get for spending money on this operating system? In all seriousness can I get some feedback on what justifies you to spend money on this rather than keeping XP?

so far, the only value I see is

being able to burn cds/dvds out of the box

searching for files is faster(if you ever do that)

What value do you get for spending money on this operating system? In all seriousness can I get some feedback on what justifies you to spend money on this rather than keeping XP?

You can burn CD's and DVD's out of the box with XP. You can search but it takes longer unless you want to install Desktop Search 4.0.

What you do get out of it is more features such as the backup/restore, dx10, better security, faster networking, and the list goes on. I am no windows fanboy as I prefer a Ubuntu and even a Mac to my every day desktop use. Windows had been declining for several years compared to the alternatives but I honestly think Microsoft raised the stakes with Windows 7.

(edited)

You can burn CD's and DVD's out of the box with XP. You can search but it takes longer unless you want to install Desktop Search 4.0.

What you do get out of it is more features such as the backup/restore, dx10, better security, faster networking, and the list goes on. I am no windows fanboy as I prefer a Ubuntu and even a Mac to my every day desktop use. Windows had been declining for several years compared to the alternatives but I honestly think Microsoft raised the stakes with Windows 7.

exactly what I'm looking for.. I'm not trying to dis people or be anti-microsoft, I'm just curious..

I personally turn my restore off, as well as any security and firewall settings. I guess dx10 is a plus or will be once games start using it.

Edited by .fx

i just extract the iso with winrar and install right now. there should be a working daemon tools before too long. i've burnt fine so far but i've only tried two discs. ya, chrome doesn't work but i don't use it anyway. plus, remember chrome is still beta so beta + beta usually = fail.

If I have to replace my sound card because Creative cannot do half decent drivers for it, I will be damned if I buy another Creative card. I will go with something else.

And it isn't the sound. I can hear just fine. The microphone either stutters all the time or just doens't work at all.. like this very moment. 2 hours of messing with this.

(edited)

I'm a little under the 50% mark for burning CDs. It could be my drive or discs, but I've never had an issue burning in ubuntu or XP. 6 out of 10 are coasters so far.. PowerIso has failed a few times as well...

My tv tuner also does not have 64-bit drivers, so that is another lame perk of switching for me.

I'm switching back to XP tonight.

What I do like is that the OS controls the sound. When I boot into a game and plug in my USB headphones, it will switch under 7. The game must be started with the headphones plugged in using XP.

Edited by .fx

Cujo, can you give me a working link for the X-fi drivers that you got? Creative's site is down and been down all day. Even if I wanted to grab the latest drivers for this card, I cannot.

I will sell you my on-board sound for $100 and put that toward a 4 channel xlr supporting m-audio card that I can use to record. Deal? :)

I too am never buying another creative card.

I'm a little under the 50% mark for burning CDs. It could be my drive or discs, but I've never had an issue burning in ubuntu or XP. 6 out of 10 are coasters so far.. PowerIso has failed a few times as well...

My tv tuner also does not have 64-bit drivers, so that is another lame perk of switching for me.

I'm switching back to XP tonight.

What I do like is that the OS controls the sound. When I boot into a game and plug in my USB headphones, it will switch under 7. The game must be started with the headphones plugged in using XP.

in fairness you kind of doubled your problem by going from xp 32bit to windows 7 64bit. also, who needs a tv tuner when most of the best shows on tv are available for free download on many public torrent sites. the cd issue could be an incompatibility between the drive and the operating system or any number of things. at 30 bucks a drive i find they don't last all that long.

zd, i got my sound drivers from the creative site so i don't have any other link for you and their site is working just fine for me as of right now. you have an audigy anyway though right? that sound card came out 6 years ago. ati and nvidia don't support their cards much past 3 or 4 years. i don't think you can realistically expect creative (a much smaller company) to support their products that long.

that said, the drivers you had working in vista should work just fine in 7. the same way most windows 2000 drivers worked just fine in xp.

I would not compare the video companies to the driver support of creative. They are leagues apart in that ATI and Nvidia still support the older cards. I would not expect an 8500LE to be supported by ATI at this point but 9700 pro still has working drivers in Vista.

I ran out to buy a new sound card and unfortunately all that Best Buy had was the Xfi so I grabbed the gamer card. I am impressed with the smaller size of the card and the sound quality is significantly improved over the Audigy 2 series. Creatives US site was down all day yesterday but I did find the Daniel_K download for the X-fi that worked without a hitch.

FYI: Daniel_K doesn't make his own drivers. He tweaks the INF files and the like to fix things that a multi-million dollar company cannot seem to do even with their latest hardware.